Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 09:06 AM
Zonktified
Tourer
Received 216 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
they still do, despite some of the claims it's a thing of the past..already changed air filters on both our M8's at 3K miles..same rules apply as always...midway on the dipstick HOT is prudent
Originally Posted by CR3999

Pull the stock hoses off and throw away.

Drill a hole in the location of your choice in the air box.

route to ground or install a catch can. Looking at the SE AC there will be some drilling the backing plate as they they reuse the same bolts as the stock air box. Also the air box is a lot closer the jug. There's not enough room do install like the twin cams, as there isn't enough room.

This is the way I did the by pass. Your plan my vary.
Nice. Did you also plug the hole in the filter back plate where the original tubing went to feed the hot, oily, oxygen depleted air back into the intake manifold? I kept my original tubing in tact and tried to maintain a downward flow with the tubing to the catch can on mine. If the EPA didn't deem it necessary due to emission standards, then the MOCO wouldn't have put these tubes on the breather bolts and fed that "shtuff" back into the engine.

Definitely gets a 5HP increase with this mod.... (just kidding, I have no idea, but it will help keep your piston heads and engine cleaner)

Old 03-31-2021, 09:27 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

I picked up the new Trask vent cover at Daytona bike week, very nice billet piece.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:30 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik

I picked up the new Trask vent cover at Daytona bike week, very nice billet piece.
Now that you've had this for a little while, I'd be curious as to your opinion on it. Do you think you'll still vent the breathers on the air cleaner?

My 2020 is twin-cooled - I've been kicking around this or venting through its unused oil return passage that is used for air/oil-cooled engines only.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:05 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Now that you've had this for a little while, I'd be curious as to your opinion on it. Do you think you'll still vent the breathers on the air cleaner?

My 2020 is twin-cooled - I've been kicking around this or venting through its unused oil return passage that is used for air/oil-cooled engines only.
According to what Trask told me this eliminates the need to do anything else with the stock head breathers. I wasn’t getting any blow by before installing this just wanted to help prevent any oil getting sucked back into the throttle body.

The following users liked this post:
RET_SCPO (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 01:16 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,815 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
According to what Trask told me this eliminates the need to do anything else with the stock head breathers. I wasn’t getting any blow by before installing this just wanted to help prevent any oil getting sucked back into the throttle body.
I didn't think I was either until I replaced the intake manifold - check this out. This was quite a while after I did the bypass.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:48 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
I didn't think I was either until I replaced the intake manifold - check this out. This was quite a while after I did the bypass.

Wow, that doesn’t look good! The stock intake and throttle body was clean as a whistle when they were changed during my 128 install, they had about 14k miles on them.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:26 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,136 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by jqb12
What's the best stuff/way to plug the original hole where the tube lead into the throttle body? Someone posted about DONT use any permatex or siicone RTV adhesives because they'll come loose? Drill and tap a set screw? I was planning on just finding the strongest Permatex gasket maker adhesive out there?
You can buy one of these at an auto parts store, it’s a rubber cap.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:13 AM
Chazzer3
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@jake24lt Nice Job. Just starting then project and this is exactly what I had in mind - love the 90's. Do you have an issue with this running to the ground of have you added a catch can (if so which one)?

Old 04-02-2021, 11:39 AM
username not valid
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

'17 Road King front cyl

Rear cylinder at 10k miles.

My version of a bypass, just ran drain out the bottom with a baloney cut to the hose like the old days.
The vented transmission top cover that Trask sell makes the most sense to me. I plan to drill a hole in my cover and vent it.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:08 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

FYI, my 19th Street Glide transmission cover is already vented from the factory. I would think of all the touring bikes are. See item 12 below

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?