Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 02:19 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Nice work. I don't trust the dealer not to void their free "forever" warranty if they see what I did when I bring it in to have the fuel overflow issue fixed. So I bought another backplate that I'll slap on before bring it in. If I bringing it in. Though given that unless I encounter a drivetrain or motor problem down the road it's unlikely they'll ever get my bike back for anything other than the fuel issue. I'll do my own servicing from here on out and they told me that unless I notified their carrier in writing that I'll do this then their own warranty would not apply.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:48 PM
Bikeaholic55
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another way.

This uses stock breather tubes with the tabs cut off, all hardware is outside of air cleaner and breather tubes are captive like the stock set up.Goes to a Tee on frame and runs aft. I think this is the setup I will attempt making sure the holes in the backer plate are interference fit.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:59 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

At the rate some bikes exhale the stuff coming out of the breathers, mine included before the Stage 2 (and possibly the rings being fully seated), routing it in front of the rear tire might not be the best route. As mine appears to be now, with primarily condensation coming out, if it continues this way I wouldn't have an issue with doing it at all.

Just out of curiosity and because I'm not an engineer why are the cats never utilized to burn this crap off instead of recycling it back through the intake? Aren't the cats hotter than the combustion taking place, or at least close, and much more consistently? Wouldn't they burn it up so that as little or less makes its way into the environment? Isn't that their primary purpose anyway? To burn off unburned leftovers from combustion?

Old 04-19-2020, 03:24 PM
Bikeaholic55
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
At the rate some bikes exhale the stuff coming out of the breathers, mine included before the Stage 2 (and possibly the rings being fully seated), routing it in front of the rear tire might not be the best route. As mine appears to be now, with primarily condensation coming out, if it continues this way I wouldn't have an issue with doing it at all.

Just out of curiosity and because I'm not an engineer why are the cats never utilized to burn this crap off instead of recycling it back through the intake? Aren't the cats hotter than the combustion taking place, or at least close, and much more consistently? Wouldn't they burn it up so that as little or less makes its way into the environment? Isn't that their primary purpose anyway? To burn off unburned leftovers from combustion?
It's not in front of the back tire, that's why the hose on the outside of the frame and has a outward bend in it. When you are rolling the air stream takes the mist beyond the tire. This bike did not have any oil residue on the rear tire, rear rotor or any part of the frame after 10,000 miles. Back in the day when HD's were bottom breathers it would be a concern and most guys then just routed the crankcase breather directly under the bike and that is inline with the rear tire!

Old 07-05-2020, 09:30 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Latest version. Removed the screen and the clamps and rerouted the hoses after slipping them over the cut ends of my stock breather tubes. I have another new set that I picked up with another AC.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:36 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Decided to go with two holes in the backing plate and two outlet hoses, no tee. Really cleaned things up inside the AC but I'm still not satisifed. I'm going to try and replace the plastic elbows with brass elbows and barbed fittings. But until I can find what I'm after this will do. Made the decision today after getting home from a ride and finding that my DK can's o-ring did not seat right the last time I emptied it, (my fault not theirs), and so I spewed vapor on my exhaust and that side of the motor. Not cool.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 AM
DeLaw
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Did away with a tee because it would clog if I took several short trips. This has worked perfect and is running jut behind the oil cooler.

The following 2 users liked this post by DeLaw:
Ddieselsmoke (07-08-2020), iHodor (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 08:40 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Where did you find the hose? Can you tell me what it is called? I tried to find some with a thinner wall than fuel vapor hose but could not.
Ironically it occurred to me yesterday to also do away with the elbows and tee and just route the hose straight off the breather bolts, out the plate and down to the ground. That's my aim for today while it's raining. Nice setup!

Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 AM
DeLaw
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went to a auto parts store and they let me go in the back and pick what I needed. Washer fluid hose works just fine and can handle the heat.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:26 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Thanks. I may try that, though for now I'm going to go with this because I didn't need grommets at the outlet holes, the hose fits tightly (very).

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?