Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 02:08 PM
19special
Banned
Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
I would bet if this was a big bore build and put on a dyno, that arraignment would certainly produce lower numbers than without. Maybe not significant, but something. Not criticizing the work, just commenting on how something as simple as the screen can alter the air flow and the hose that appears to be in the air stream. I too would suggest drilling an additional hole and relocating the right side directly out and connecting the two behind the back plate. It would also remove the uphill tube.

Those are/were my thoughts as well.The screen alone will slow the air flow. It is his bike and I'm not going to criticize it either.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:00 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Stock configuration has the rear tube running uphill also, albeit not quite as much. I do believe that the oil/mist coming out of the breather will be sufficiently pushed uphill for that short distance.
This has been a work in progress, started last year with a simple extension of the tubes more deeply into the throat of the intake.
I should be able to get back on the bike tomorrow and try this latest version out.
I am not out to squeeze every last hp or ft.lb or toque out of this bike. If it runs properly and does not seem to be running rich, and my seat of the pants dyno is satisfied I'll likely keep this setup, though I may remove the screen if the clamps show no signs of moving, which they didn't last year in a previous iteration.
Alternative is to put the breather tubes back on and let the oily air enter the intake. I don't want to do that. So long as I don't see a quick buildup of oil in the can or a noticeable downgrade in performance due to air turbulence in the filter body I'll be happy with the mod.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:07 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,795 Likes on 1,578 Posts

The way OldMike did his is pretty clean. That's the way I'd do it. I'd run the hose to ground though... had enough of emptying catch cans.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:02 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
The way OldMike did his is pretty clean. That's the way I'd do it. I'd run the hose to ground though... had enough of emptying catch cans.
Catch Can - Schmetz Cans just one more thing and more complications.
Oil comes from the ground - it's natural.

The following users liked this post:
lp (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 05:39 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Jehu
Catch Can - Schmetz Cans just one more thing and more complications.
Oil comes from the ground - it's natural.
I agree now that after 375 miles it's just a bit of water vapor coming out of the hose, not worth collecting.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:52 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 615 Posts

I hardly ever see anything under my hose; after long, hard interstate runs - when I stop for fuel I may see a drop or two of what looks like oil but it's oil and moisture.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:04 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Put 70 miles on my bike today. Performed flawlessly. A dyno may perhaps say it's not putting out what it could, but my seat of the pants model says it's doing just fine. I'll take the air cleaner and catch can off before I ride again and see if it's all working as it should.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:52 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Nothing in the catch can when I checked it this morning. Hoses showed a little condensation. Clamps remained in place. Maybe removing oil and leaving it a half qt. low on the stick has made the difference and will prevent as much blowby as I was seeing after the 1K service and prior to the Stage 1 and 2 install.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:54 PM
19special
Banned
Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
Nothing in the catch can when I checked it this morning. Hoses showed a little condensation. Clamps remained in place. Maybe removing oil and leaving it a half qt. low on the stick has made the difference and will prevent as much blowby as I was seeing after the 1K service and prior to the Stage 1 and 2 install.
I bet it has more to do with the fact that the intake isn't sucking on the hose.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:48 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

I hope that's exactly what it is!

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?