Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 04:47 PM
fourburgs
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Is 7/32 vacuum hose big enough to run to the ground ?

Old 11-22-2019, 05:50 PM
dgwv
Road Master
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm 1/4" both into one hose.
1/4 = 4/16=8/32
the hole in the bolt is less.

Last edited by dgwv; 11-22-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:07 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 231 Likes on 154 Posts
Default DK Catch Can

So, I installed an DK EBS with newer catch can... and am getting fair amount of condensation or water in can.. maybe a tablespoon after couple hrs on highway.... it has been cold latelly here too... It will come out of the holes up top..drip out when bike stopped.. but when i open can not much in there at all. So are the new cans supposed to only keep oil in the filters and allow condensation to pass and exit out of the can?

Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 PM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

I have done a breather bypass but it's to the atmosphere and it's SE Softail airbox specific (probably) .The head breathers mount to ears on the back plate I've drilled up under them to the breather bolt and siliconed the venturi tubes that go to the TB . Opened it out inside the rubber so oil can just vent as it needs to. I get a few drops of oil residue on the battery cover but it's that little that it doesn't matter.My bike uses no discernable oil at all.If I could find a rubber tube that has a right angle fitting to the breather bolt I'd retrofit that but It works the way it is so I'll leave it..

Peace.

Last edited by Agoober; 11-22-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:12 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
So, I installed an DK EBS with newer catch can... and am getting fair amount of condensation or water in can.. maybe a tablespoon after couple hrs on highway.... it has been cold latelly here too... It will come out of the holes up top..drip out when bike stopped.. but when i open can not much in there at all. So are the new cans supposed to only keep oil in the filters and allow condensation to pass and exit out of the can?
I also have the same catch can setup. It's looks sharp but have the same exact issue you do, I get an oily, watery spritz out of the upper vent holes on longer rides. I talk to them about it, make sure your oil level is half way or lower on the stick when hot. Mine already is. They did mention you could go as far as 1/4 up the stick when hot, but not sure I want to do that. My Dyno guy told me to lose the can and let it go on the ground, but I'm thinking over time the under neath of bike will have an oily film, and back tire too. Like you I have maybe a table spoon of tan watery oil mix but it's enough to saturate the sponges and blow out the vent. I'm in the process of modifying that catch can setup because I personally think it needs baffles/separation to allow oil water to stay on bottom air to go through top, and the little paper think plastic with sponge isn't cutting it.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:04 AM
cj24
Road Master
Received 231 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
I also have the same catch can setup. It's looks sharp but have the same exact issue you do, I get an oily, watery spritz out of the upper vent holes on longer rides. I talk to them about it, make sure your oil level is half way or lower on the stick when hot. Mine already is. They did mention you could go as far as 1/4 up the stick when hot, but not sure I want to do that. My Dyno guy told me to lose the can and let it go on the ground, but I'm thinking over time the under neath of bike will have an oily film, and back tire too. Like you I have maybe a table spoon of tan watery oil mix but it's enough to saturate the sponges and blow out the vent. I'm in the process of modifying that catch can setup because I personally think it needs baffles/separation to allow oil water to stay on bottom air to go through top, and the little paper think plastic with sponge isn't cutting it.
My oil hot is half up dip stick and the water is clear so it seems to be mostly condensation which I'm assuming is attributed to the colder weather now. I suspect during summer this won't be issue.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:34 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,232 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Water coming out the venting holes of the 4 Stage Catch-Cans is normal in cooler weather and when there are a lot of short rides.

Oil coming out is Not normal.

The varying density foam, along with the perforated separators successfully keeps the oil inside the catch-can in almost every circumstance.

For oil to make it's way outside of the catch-can, either something is assembled incorrectly in the catch-can, or there is much more than the normal amount of oil and/or pressure passing thru the breathers.

There are a whole variety of causes for excess oil or breather volume. There is a Report on most of them HERE.

Adding more restriction to the 4 Stage Catch-Can is not a good idea. We have done extensive testing (see video below) and the M8 engine does not pass nearly as much air thru the breathers (when functioning correctly) as the the Twin Cam. We did the volume testing on the HD engines as part of the R&D on the 4 Stage Catch-Can so that we would know how much restriction could be part of the design without being overly restrictive.

If anyone is passing oil thru their 4 Stage Catch-Can, please contact us at the contact info below. If the input from our Customer Service Team does not help you, please contact us back and ask for me specifically.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 11-23-2019 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Sportster (11-26-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,205 Likes on 1,554 Posts

No, haven't done the mod nor do I intend to unless I see a problem. I run my oil level half way on the dipstick between add & full and never had a problem.

Nor do I have a problem with sumping or transfer from the tranny to primary. If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it. And yes, I take long road trips out on the interstate. few weeks ago a 1000 miler and a couple days ago a 645 miler. no problems so no need for fixes. Just fixing to do the 15,000 mile oil change.
I do feel sorry for the folks that have these problems but I don't.....

Old 11-26-2019, 03:45 PM
vegas-triker
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a prevenative type guy. Did the Vent tube as it appears to have fixed the problem, Did the catch can, both old and new style, as I am a beliver of keeping crap out of my engine.

Don't want that voice in my ear wanting to know why we are broke down ( been married for 50+ Years )

Don't have to agree, not your bike, not your wife

G

The following 2 users liked this post by vegas-triker:
Birdog (11-26-2019), DK Custom (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:41 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I'm going to wait on my 2-year warranty to run out and keep the oil down just below mid point between "Add" and "Full". I also noticed that I get more oil blow by with Mobil-1 20W-50 than with Spectro Platinum 20W-50 full synthetic. Very small amount of oil now. Will be putting an EBS system from DK Custom Products next year. Good tips from DK in his above post (link to HERE).

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (11-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?