Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 07:24 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Gotta use your imagination and time to get this how you envision it.
On my wife’s bike I connected two 10” hoses to a t fitting. Than added a hose of about 35” from the t. Ran in between the two jugs. Along the primary towards the front. To the down tube. And zip tied it right there on the bottom. Cut it and done.
no kinks and none of it on bike.
Its not rocket science LOL

The following users liked this post:
Ddieselsmoke (11-19-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 02:56 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Gotta use your imagination and time to get this how you envision it.
On my wife’s bike I connected two 10” hoses to a t fitting. Than added a hose of about 35” from the t. Ran in between the two jugs. Along the primary towards the front. To the down tube. And zip tied it right there on the bottom. Cut it and done.
no kinks and none of it on bike.
Its not rocket science LOL
yea well that's not quite what highwayman was suggesting was it? I think your suggestion is pretty much the norm.. but thank you rocket scientist. Always an ******* ain't there?

splattttttt (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 04:00 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Here is how I did my breather bypass on my ‘17 Tri Glide.

Hoses run to a T fitting the through a hole in the backing plate.

Small catch can held in place with a cut electrical conduit clamp.

splattttttt (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 05:06 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Perfect solution The Q

Old 11-11-2019, 07:36 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by The Q
Here is how I did my breather bypass on my ‘17 Tri Glide.

Hoses run to a T fitting the through a hole in the backing plate.

Small catch can held in place with a cut electrical conduit clamp.
Looks good. I’m thinking about doing the same thing, but was wondering about putting the T down lower as I was concerned about it going up top straight across....want to assist with gravity to make sure the snot goes out the T to the rear. Have you noticed any issues or am I overthinking this?

Old 11-13-2019, 03:19 AM
Birdog
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Looks good. I’m thinking about doing the same thing, but was wondering about putting the T down lower as I was concerned about it going up top straight across....want to assist with gravity to make sure the snot goes out the T to the rear. Have you noticed any issues or am I overthinking this?
I think you are overthinking it a bit since in stock configuration the breather lines run uphill before they enter the intake. I realize the line entering the intake is assisted a bit by some draw from the intake but the breather lines are pressurized so I’m not concerned with wanting to eliminate any uphill run in the external breather line.

Last edited by Birdog; 11-13-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,007 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I realize there are some aesthetic reasons to have the catch can or filter inside the air cleaner compartment, and that certainly takes care of keeping the oil out of the combustion chamber...and that is a big reason to have an External Breather System.

However, the hot, oxygen depleted air is still going into the combustion chamber, compromising performance. For the full benefit on an EBS, the filter or catch-can should be outside of the air cleaner box, so that only fresh, oxygen rich air reaches the combustion chambers.

Of related interest. We have done hundreds of dyno pulls with dozens of different air cleaners, and one thing we've learned-

What the air does AFTER it get past the filter element, in terms of flow, can make very significant differences in the amount of power generated. Anything slowing down the flow of air (turbulence, etc.) will have a negative effect.

July 4th Patriotic Biker Bundle - Get Yours HERE

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Ddieselsmoke (11-19-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 03:32 PM
vegas-triker
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

OK Kevin. causes a question.. HD has just starting offering several sizes of intakes.. Is there any advantange to use one in a Stage 1 upgrade ??

Geary

Last edited by vegas-triker; 11-13-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,494 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas-triker
OK Kevin. causes a question.. HD has just starting offering several sizes of intakes.. Is there any advantange to use one in a Stage 1 upgrade ?
Of little value in a stage 1 if you ask me. even on bigger engine builds you only get about 3-4 more hp from it. But from what I can tell, its only useful in larger displacements with ported heads because those builds can use more air than a stock throttle body can supply.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I realize there are some aesthetic reasons to have the catch can or filter inside the air cleaner compartment, and that certainly takes care of keeping the oil out of the combustion chamber...and that is a big reason to have an External Breather System.

However, the hot, oxygen depleted air is still going into the combustion chamber, compromising performance. For the full benefit on an EBS, the filter or catch-can should be outside of the air cleaner box, so that only fresh, oxygen rich air reaches the combustion chambers.

Of related interest. We have done hundreds of dyno pulls with dozens of different air cleaners, and one thing we've learned-

What the air does AFTER it get past the filter element, in terms of flow, can make very significant differences in the amount of power generated. Anything slowing down the flow of air (turbulence, etc.) will have a negative effect.
The catch can in my picture is on the back plate of an SE air cleaner. No hot gasses entering the intake from the catch can.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?