Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 03:08 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Anybody have any luck after they've done a vent and seen any carbon slowly clearing up in the combustion chambers? I suppose you'd have to use a fuel treatment of some sorts, short of tear down.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 4,605 Likes on 3,219 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I'm at 21,000 miles and I'm sure mine looks like that (or worse). If I decide to do a breather bypass now, what will become of the buildup that's in there?

Does it matter what formulation of oil is used? I would think that dino oil would leave carbon buildup, but what does synthetic oil leave behind?
If you do it now you won't be adding any additional gunk in there so it would be good to do it I think. I can't answer your question about using different oils but I have been using Mobil 1 since my first oil change.

I did a breather by-pass last December when I put a cam in it but I only rode about 3,000 miles this year do to some health issues. So this carbon build up is only about 15,000 miles in reality. I know this gunk coming from your breathers is a combination of oil and condensation and it's milky looking. The inside of my TB and manifold and the intakes on the heads had a slimy film all over them and it stinks. Have not smelled anything like it before. My rear piston seems to have less build-up than the front and I'm thinking it's because the rear cylinder runs hotter and burns it off better.

The combustion chamber in the heads had this carbon caked on them and it is really stubborn. I have a gallon can of old carburetor cleaner that you submerge your carburetor in so I filled up the combustion chambers with this cleaner with the heads upside down and let them soak for 3 days. I was able to get most of it off with a plastic scraper and a tooth brush but not all of it. I'm in the process of putting bigger pistons and cylinders in now so I'm cleaning things up.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:08 PM
dgwv
Road Master
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts

I use marvels mystery oil in the fuel. But if the bike has a cat I don't think its recommended. I've been watching my engines by taking compression tests and with a bore scope camera hooked to my phone. That crap is pretty hard to get off but I can see the marvels is doing it I think. I try to not add any more than the bottle says and usually I use less. but I'm a believer that its working. Its just a slow process I guess.

Last edited by dgwv; 10-23-2019 at 04:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ddieselsmoke (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 05:52 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 131 Posts

I wasn’t going to do the bypass on my ‘19 softail but after taking the air cleaner off 3 times in the first 500 miles then I knew I had to do it. Now I just empty my catch can and keep the engine clean. A1 cycles has a video of a softail where they took off the throttle body & shows all the oil all over.

Ddieselsmoke (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 PM
BigT12
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad
Let's now have a useful post.

Here is my latest for my softail. Just emptied my catch can yesterday. Nice seeing all the gunk NOT go into the engine.

Looks good! What did you use for hoses and 90 degree fittings?

Old 10-24-2019, 06:47 AM
Msquad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigT12
Looks good! What did you use for hoses and 90 degree fittings?
The hoses that plug into the breather bolts are leftover from my '14 Streetglide (Harley Davidson 29400043 - can find them on ebay). I just cut to needed length.
Then I had some tees already that I cut off the tee part and put "the right stuff" sealer in one side to make it an L.
The front hose goes behind the push rods to a catch can in the front. Very stealth.
The rear hose goes behind the push rods to the other side down between the trans to the ground. Stays nicely in place on my fatboy (for my roadie had to route differently - but the pic above is my fatboy).
I do 2 separate hoses just because I want to vs. 2 into 1 like others do.

Part number: 29400043

Ddieselsmoke (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad
The hoses that plug into the breather bolts are leftover from my '14 Streetglide (Harley Davidson 29400043 - can find them on ebay). I just cut to needed length.
Then I had some tees already that I cut off the tee part and put "the right stuff" sealer in one side to make it an L.
The front hose goes behind the push rods to a catch can in the front. Very stealth.
The rear hose goes behind the push rods to the other side down between the trans to the ground. Stays nicely in place on my fatboy (for my roadie had to route differently - but the pic above is my fatboy).
I do 2 separate hoses just because I want to vs. 2 into 1 like others do.

Part number: 29400043
Tried this on a few. But have now had better results drilling head breather bolts out and running 1/4 hose to brass t and down under bike. Small fittings i have 2 that were a little milkie drip......went to the 1/4 line and now nice and clear. Both have 18k and 56 k..... i also have both touring m8 bike oil caps vented.. bore scope on one with 56 k looks better than his buddies with 9k untouched as he is afraid of warranty issuies.... simple 5 buck mod and well worth it. No more oil smell or oil soaked air filter ...

Old 10-24-2019, 08:34 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Didnt relize i had pictures of one....this one actually snuck thru a warranty claim.

Ddieselsmoke (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:45 AM
Msquad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
i also have both touring m8 bike oil caps vented..
Yes, this too on my M8 roadie.
Have not done the batfoy yet, but it is on the list since this is now sleeping for the winter. Have not decided how I was going to do this yet. Anybody vent their softail oil caps yet?

Bumpandrun (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:42 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,154 Likes on 1,861 Posts

I've skimmed through the thread and haven't seen this done on a Heavy Breather. Anyone out there done that?

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?