Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:44 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,007 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
Any idea when the kits that are compatible with Arlen Ness inverted air cleaners will be in stock / available?

Ness ran out of bolts a few months ago, and they still don't have an ETA on them, so we cannot say. However, if you send yours in we will modify them to work with whichever kit you want. Call or email if you'd like to have that done.

July 4th Patriotic Biker Bundle - Get Yours HERE

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 06:56 PM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

DK Custom;17668716]We make, and have been making, quite a few different A/C's with External Breather Systems (EBS) for the M8 for 2 years now. You can see them at these two links- LINK1 & LINK2. The second link has a Performance A/C that works with the stock cover.

You can also see a variety or EBS kits for the M8 that will work with air cleaners that do not have them built in, at this LINK [/QUOTE]

Kevin, I've seen your screened breather bolts, and I had a question about them. Do they weep oil, since there are no hoses to direct the oil away? Also, I understand the oil "vapor" would be vented to atmosphere, but with the breather bolts, would the "milky snot" we see in some of these pics not just run back down into the crank case? Thanks for taking the time to address the issues discussed here.

Last edited by BlkHillsBagger; 09-09-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:46 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,007 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkHillsBagger
DK Custom;17668716]We make, and have been making, quite a few different A/C's with External Breather Systems (EBS) for the M8 for 2 years now. You can see them at these two links- LINK1 & LINK2. The second link has a Performance A/C that works with the stock cover.

You can also see a variety or EBS kits for the M8 that will work with air cleaners that do not have them built in, at this LINK

Kevin, I've seen your screened breather bolts, and I had a question about them. Do they weep oil, since there are no hoses to direct the oil away? Also, I understand the oil "vapor" would be vented to atmosphere, but with the breather bolts, would the "milky snot" we see in some of these pics not just run back down into the crank case? Thanks for taking the time to address the issues discussed here.[/QUOTE]

The Breather Bolts work well for most Sportys, and they work well for about 40% of all Twin Cams and M8's. The majority of TC's and M8's spit too much oil out of the breathers, overwhelming the small filter on the Breather Bolts. There is no way to know which ones they will work well on or not...BUT, if it is built, as yours is, the probability is high that it will overwhelm the Breather Bolts. Best to choose an EBS option that utilizes a filter at the end of a hose.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser

Thanks for the fast and honest response Kevin! I want to get the A/C squared away before the new cam and headers go on this week.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:10 PM
markdavidson
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Got mine done today

Old 09-12-2018, 04:05 PM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser

I decided to just go with a new A/C from DK Custom that was made for an external breather. Was hoping to get it in time for my dyne tune appt., but there was an error in the order when they sent my receipt.

Last edited by BlkHillsBagger; 09-12-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:09 PM
sarge-glide
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I used DK Customs supplied 606 air filter mated with the OEM cover. Ran the hoses down the right side with a filter on the end.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (09-14-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:21 PM
sarge-glide
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

And for those wondering, I did try the catch can. It works well if you ride easy and clean it after every ride. But that's not my style. I ride her long and hard...

Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 AM
markdavidson
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried the catch can too for a while I guess my 16 blew too much.. even just commuting was a daily clean out or it would puff out the vent holes and make a mess...so now I run out to just in front of my crossover pipe...never even a spot on the garage floor

Old 09-14-2018, 02:25 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
I did the same mod as stixvrad on my 2017 FLHTK. It generated about an ounce of nasty oil / water condensation / snot in 1,500 miles. I'm glad that stuff isn't getting routed back into my motor.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?