Sponsored by:

Air cleaner/ I don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:20 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Air cleaner/ I don't get it

The stock air cleaner is as big as the Screaming Eagle Ventilator, so how does it breath better? Is the cover the restriction?
Is it just as simple as drilling holes in the lower plastic cover. I have already drilled one hole in the lower cover to route the breather hose to the ground. Thanks guys.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:40 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,836 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Has more to do with the filter element than anything. FM does sell a better back plate with more flow as well but they are not out yet for the 17s.

I've run all kinds of air cleaners and now just prefer a stock cover with a high flow filter (usually K&N) just because it's quieter...

Old 10-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I think HD wants to sell a lot of SE Air Cleaners, That's why its so big and fugly JMO.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:49 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Has more to do with the filter element than anything.
Yep it's definitely the filter element. Open your stock one up. The element shrinks down to very very thin at the back. The total surface area from the stock to the Ventilator is increased a lot. Beyond the available surface area, most gauze air filters flow more air than stock paper filters for any given square inch. The ventilator will flow much more air than the stock filter. lp is correct though, the added flow will also result in more noise.

If your looking for decent flow and still quiet, add a performance element to your stock assembly. I can't stand the look of the stock assembly, it had to go...

Last edited by ocezam; 10-12-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:57 PM
CR3999
Road Captain

I like the original cover. but to keep that you get this little wedge of a filter. There's not much there. I'd be cleaning that in the middle of long road trips. Is that the best they can do? The other ones are to exposed for my taste.

I think they even make a gauze filter for replace stock filter. Will that make it flow better? Or do ya still need to add some openings?

Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
I like the original cover. but to keep that you get this little wedge of a filter. There's not much there. The other ones are to exposed for my taste. I think they even make a gauze filter for replace stock filter. Will that make it flow better? Or do ya still need to add some openings?
Yes they make a gauze element for the stock filter. Yes, it will flow better than the stock paper filter.

Edit, when you run a K&N style gauze filter, it almost always needs to be treated with an air filter oil to catch small particles. I have no idea if the HD filter needs it, but i wouldn;t run it without finding out:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...filter-element

Last edited by ocezam; 10-12-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

All you have to do is buy the K&N replacement that Harley sells {Part Number #29400245} at your nearest Dealer
for $174.95. It replaces your stock air cleaner, it is designed as a direct replacement, but will flow more air then the
stock AC filter. It's putting a Stage-I air cleaner under your stock air filter housing.

P.S. Part #29400245 is under $150.00 at most 20% off dealer.

Last edited by OldPhat; 10-27-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:47 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

I had a great laugh at my (old) dealer in Grandview, Missouri today. Stopped in as I was looking to buy the new air cleaner for my bike. He brought out a new one from the back, then informed me that I would have to buy the tuner as well in order to keep the warranty intact. I told him I had heard about that....

But it got better....I was then told that the service department would have to install it all and do a 4 hour Dyno tune in order to keep my warranty intact. Total cost to buy a new air cleaner for an M8? $1200.00.

Why the 4 hours on the Dyno?? Because the tuner needs the fuel air ratio adjusted to my bike and that can only be done on the Dyno by a tech

Steer clear of this dealer--what a bunch of BS

Last edited by lyork; 10-12-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:38 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
I had a great laugh at my (old) dealer in Grandview, Missouri today. Stopped in as I was looking to buy the new air cleaner for my bike. He brought out a new one from the back, then informed me that I would have to buy the tuner as well in order to keep the warranty intact. I told him I had heard about that....

But it got better....I was then told that the service department would have to install it all and do a 4 hour Dyno tune in order to keep my warranty intact. Total cost to buy a new air cleaner for an M8? $1200.00.

Why the 4 hours on the Dyno?? Because the tuner needs the fuel air ratio adjusted to my bike and that can only be done on the Dyno by a tech

Steer clear of this dealer--what a bunch of BS
Sounds like Gail wants a new Mercedes for X-mas!

The following users liked this post:
lyork (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 PM
CR3999
Road Captain

For the record, those filter elements are not replacement filters for the stock housing. Harley does not make a replacement filter right now.
I did however buy a dipstick with a thermometer in it. I'll report back on oil temp after this weekend.

Quick Reply: Air cleaner/ I don't get it