Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 4,767 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Well it has finally come in. I received my oil cooler with fan this morning along with the cool fan for the rear. I will be installing the fan assist oil cooler over the holiday and see what I see. I have test data from running the bike in various temperature ranges so while the heat of later summer is gone, I hope to get an idea if it helps the low speed (<40 mph) problem area I have been seeing. The weather is suppose to get into the low 70's so I will compare the recorded data we have from that temperature range and see if the oil temperatures drop any. Here is for hoping they do.
still waiting for mine but didn't have to pay up front, very interested in seeing your test results..hopefully we can draw some solid conclusions, but I'm of the thinking that even if it only dropped the oil temps half of their stated "up to 50 degrees cooler" it sounds worthwhile..just hoping you can at least get the fan to activate anyway so we know about what temp triggers it

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-22-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:16 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,808 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
still waiting for mine but didn't have to pay up front, very interested in seeing your test results..hopefully we can draw some solid conclusions, but I'm of the thinking that even if it only dropped the oil temps half of their stated "up to 50 degrees cooler" it sounds worthwhile..just hoping you can at least get the fan to activate anyway so we know about what temp triggers it
Running mine with temps in the low 70's it didn't come on at least I never heard it and I stopped a few times and checked oil temps were in the 220's maybe not hot enough. I did have it enabled at dealership

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:26 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

thanks, not surprised and sounds like working as designed/expected

Old 11-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb

Just finished up installing it. Ran the bike and checked for leaks and fan operation. Just sitting in the shop idling it came on and you could feel a drop in temperatures by hand. While thats not a test, it at least gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling about it working. If the weather warms up over the holiday like they say, I should be able to get some decent test data. Draining the oil, filter and removing the cooler and allowing it to drain everything completely it took 4 quarts to fill it back up to one mark from the top when warmed up.

mjwebb (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:07 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,093 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Just finished up installing it. Ran the bike and checked for leaks and fan operation. Just sitting in the shop idling it came on and you could feel a drop in temperatures by hand. While thats not a test, it at least gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling about it working. If the weather warms up over the holiday like they say, I should be able to get some decent test data. Draining the oil, filter and removing the cooler and allowing it to drain everything completely it took 4 quarts to fill it back up to one mark from the top when warmed up.
Sounds good. How did you get the fan activated? I was under the impression that the dealer has to activate it in the ECM.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:14 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

that's great, thanks for the info...about to do my first oil change when/if the fan ever gets here..good to know the Initial Fill of 4.5 quarts for oil change as stated in the Owners Manual is too much to start with, saved me from using the turkey baster after Thanksgiving is over..so in regards to the activation..now that I read the instructions it sounds like plug and play means by default and it's activated, and their wording 'requires Digital Technician to verify fan has been enabled', or something like that is just a validation step..I think

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-23-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

It does have to be activated to make it work. Mastertune2hd and Digital Tech both can do the job.I used Mastertune to do it.

mjwebb (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

curious how long you had to let it idle before you noticed it activating? would have guessed they would need to be ridden hard for awhile before they activate...I could go fire up my wife's 2017 Freewheeler and my 2017 Road King and do a comparison..but it's cold, wet, windy and crappy out this week..neither of us are too excited about riding right now. I'm sold already on it though so I'll let my dealer install it when it arrives. $404 installed with their 20/20 Winter Blast Parts and Labor discount so no brainer, understand the front head pipe needs to be removed so the price is right and need them to enable it anyway. thanks

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-24-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:35 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,808 Likes on 628 Posts

I didn't take my head pipe off it came with new hoses I only replaced 1 because I couldn't get it off cooler so I cut it. Took about half hr and that was more fighting hose than anything else.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:59 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

good job...if I didn't have to take it in to have them enable it I'd probably DIY but for $404 installed worth it to me

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system