Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Why would someone design an oil cooled engine where all the oil doesn't go thru the oil cooler?

I'd like to see diagram of the oil circuit, I'm just not buying it. I mean how is the oil separated so that some goes to the cooler and some doesn't AND how does it remain separate once it goes back into the pan? Once it's back in the pan how is it a lock that the previously "diverted" oil gets "diverted" again. I'm not here to argue but to say that some of the oil NEVER makes it to the oil cooler based on a diversionary valve is at the least a stretch given that it's all recirculated back to the pan and starts the circuit all over again. I mean it's 50/50 right? So every second trip some of that oil is going through the oil cooler. If there's no way to separate the previously diverted oil and divert it again then ALL the oil eventually goes thru the oil cooler as lp pointed out.

Sometimes it pays to have a simple mind.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 10-08-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,950 Likes on 4,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The Oil Cooler on the M8 is NOT in the path of all the oil! As the oil leaves the engine case part/some of it is sent out to the oil cooler then up to the cooling passages in the heads only then back into the sump. The balance of the oil is sent to the oil filter then back into the engine to lubricate everything, never seeing the oil cooler. On a TwinCam all the oil goes to the filter then to the Oil Cooler if equipped and then back to the engine.
Did you figure out how the oil is metered between the engine and the oil cooler / cylinder heads? I've been through the parts lists and it looks like the fitting that feeds the oil cooler might be the location.

Currently, the on line parts manuals don't show the fitting..

Old 10-08-2016, 10:34 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,182 Likes on 4,392 Posts

The Oil Cooler on the M8 is NOT in the path of all the oil! As the oil leaves the engine case part/some of it is sent out to the oil cooler then up to the cooling passages in the heads only then back into the sump. The balance of the oil is sent to the oil filter then back into the engine to lubricate everything, never seeing the oil cooler. On a TwinCam all the oil goes to the filter then to the Oil Cooler if equipped and then back to the engine.

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Why would someone design an oil cooled engine where all the oil doesn't go thru the oil cooler?
I'd like to see diagram of the oil circuit, I'm just not buying it. I mean how is the oil separated so that some goes to the cooler and some doesn't AND how does it remain separate once it goes back into the pan? Once it's back in the pan how is it a lock that the previously "diverted" oil gets "diverted" again.
I was bored, so for Nomadmax, ask and you shall receive:

Here is a pic of the "oil cooling circuit" in the oil cooled engines.

The oil has two paths at the end of the oil pump. One goes to the cooler, then the heads, and then back to the pan as shown in this pic. The other path, not highlighted here, goes to the filter and through the engine before going back to the pan... as Steve pointed out.

Note that the "oil cooling circuit" does not show any oil going to the engine. At the very beginning of the blue arrows, as they leave the case... you can see where oil also leaves from the same point, but goes to the oil filter. You have to look close to see the oil gallery leading to the filter, because none of that portion is highlighted in this pic

Last edited by hattitude; 10-08-2016 at 10:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
boston jim (12-29-2016), skypilot_one (11-28-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:12 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Hatt !

As I was saying above; how does that system divert the previously diverted oil so that it doesn't go through the oil cooler?

It doesn't do that; ALL the oil in the circuit eventually goes thru the oil cooler. It just takes more than one circuit to do so. The system splits the two functions, lubrication and cooling.

I disagree. All oil comes from the oil pan at one time or another but that in no way means it ALL goes into the cooler. Only a part of the oil ends up in the cooler and if this part is not cooling the engine enough then we can have the temperature issues that we are already seeing in the engine temperature readings. The cooled oil then goes into the heads around the exhaust valves and gets super heated and returned to the pan.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 10-09-2016 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
smokingjoe (04-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:18 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,689 Likes on 6,677 Posts

Steve Cole,

What company do you work for or own?

The following 3 users liked this post by Prot:
Hephaestus (04-14-2017), ocezam (10-09-2016), RiverB (11-16-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 06:30 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Thanks Hatt !

As I was saying above; how does that system divert the previously diverted oil so that it doesn't go through the oil cooler?

It doesn't do that; ALL the oil in the circuit eventually goes thru the oil cooler. It just takes more than one circuit to do so. The system splits the two functions, lubrication and cooling.
This is all I was saying. There are not two separate oil systems. It's one system with two paths. Unlike the water system which is obviously truly separate. Cause you can't mix oil and water.

EITMS got brought into the conversation somehow, but the stats are little wrong.
On Twin Cams, twin-cooled and all other bikes with fairings - EITMS is activated at 80 degrees ambient.
Road kings at 165 head temp or whatever. Since 2014 anyway.
So if 90 degrees ambient is accurate for the M8 fairing bikes that means HD actually raised the temp from 80 degrees which I guess is opposite to some of the notions made in posts above.

Last edited by lp; 10-09-2016 at 09:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lp:
Campy Roadie (10-09-2016), smokingjoe (04-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2016, 08:58 AM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

After reading all posts I'm more confused now than ever.

But anyway, after watching the video I mentioned, I was under the impression that both the new M8 series had a NEW oil cooling system that is more efficient. And the 114 has a new water cooling system in addition.

That is the insinuation the guy on the video made.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:04 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,182 Likes on 4,392 Posts

Thanks Hatt !

OK... I get what you are saying now.....

Since all oil starts and finishes in the pan, yeah, eventually all oil molecules will end up going through the cooler...

I thought you felt all oil went through the cooler before going on it's different paths...

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
OK... I get what you are saying now.....

Since all oil starts and finishes in the pan, yeah, eventually all oil molecules will end up going through the cooler...

I thought you felt all oil went through the cooler before going on it's different paths...

Yes sir, we're on the same beam now.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:21 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Steve Cole, What company do you work for or own?
I asked him the same question, no response. He keeps talking about developing 117" and 120" kits. I'd like to know more. I see no way to send a private message to him either.

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system