Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 12:08 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,348 Likes on 5,492 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I had HD check and my oil cooler fan was in fact NOT enabled. The tech enabled it and it should be good now.
Is there a self test for the oil fan as there is for the fan and pump on a liquid cooled?

Old 01-14-2017, 01:11 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Is there a self test for the oil fan as there is for the fan and pump on a liquid cooled?
Im not sure. I don't see any way to test it.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,341 Likes on 4,766 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Im not sure. I don't see any way to test it.
like I have mentioned, the test is to ride it to operating temps, park it and while idling put your hand down there and you'll feel it blowing no doubt..it's silent so don't count on audible as a test..mine has come on every time i have ridden it even in outdoor temps in the 30's

Old 01-24-2017, 10:15 PM
King_David
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is probably a dumb question, but...

Is it possible that there is a temperature-controlled switch in the fan unit itself?
If the switch isn't in the heat exchanger, could it be right behind the heat exchanger,
sensing the temperature of the air exiting the exchanger? Of course, the switch would have to have a wide "dead band" between on and off set points, or the fan would cycle on and off. This would be the old school way of doing it, before microprocessors.

Not having the fan-driven cooler, I have no idea.

Dave

Old 01-25-2017, 06:34 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by King_David
This is probably a dumb question, but...

Is it possible that there is a temperature-controlled switch in the fan unit itself?
If the switch isn't in the heat exchanger, could it be right behind the heat exchanger,
sensing the temperature of the air exiting the exchanger? Of course, the switch would have to have a wide "dead band" between on and off set points, or the fan would cycle on and off. This would be the old school way of doing it, before microprocessors.

Not having the fan-driven cooler, I have no idea.

Dave

I think the fan is getting it's prompts from one of the existing sensors on the bike. If it had it's own stand-alone sensors there would be no need to enable the fan in the ECM to make it work.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:34 PM
Shahin7497
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil cooler

I had the oil cooler installed on my m8 stage 2 with pv.
My head temp hi is 360
my engine temp hi is 330
my oilin the pan is 200

is that in a safe zone ?

For the record taking a cold engine and recording the data on a 18 mile ride at highway speeds shows the engine temperature climbing the entire time! It never stops getting hotter and that was on a 75 deg day and highway speeds of 55 - 75 MPH flat ground cruise the entire time! Engine temperature started at 70 degrees and continued to climb to 330 degrees! This was on a 107 Stage I bike!
The same bike, run in town at 35 - 50 mph with little to no traffic other than normal stopping at traffic lights did climb to 345 degrees and then cooled to 335 when at speed of about 45mph. Again, this was only a 78 degree ambient temperature day! What's it going to do in 110 ambient temperatures? I rode it into traffic and after several blocks of So. Cal. traffic it had climbed to 360 degrees and I pulled it over and shut it off to cool.

This is just why I'm worried about it and we are adding a temperature probe into the oil pan area to measure Oil temperature in the pan, to see what it's doing. Remember that a Sportster is only 883 or 1200 cc and what worked on it may not work on the larger displacements. FWIW ALL oil cooled trikes get an oil cooler with a fan, so HD must be worried about something or why add it. I have ordered one of those oil cooler kits so we can put it on and see what the differences are.[/QUOTE]
lee

Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,341 Likes on 4,766 Posts

OMG the sky is falling!!!! relax, they've been out for 8 months now and no reports of engines having melted, and I'm sure folks in Florida and Arizona have tested them in some hot weather by now..they tested these engines for 1.5 million miles and 7000 hours of accelerated dyno testing..that being said I added the fan assisted oil cooler to my RK as soon as I knew it was available, just because it is a good idea..these air cooled V Twins have been tortured forever in excruciatingly hot temperatures..my .02 anyway

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-14-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:35 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

I agree. There's nothing to worry about. The fan assisted oil cooler was released for those folks who like to ride in parades and other situations with extended low speed operation.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:09 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Here's what I said and what I stand by.

ALL the oil eventually goes through the oil cooler in a single pump, common oil pan, dry sump system; even though the circuit is bifurcated for cooling passages in the heads and engine lubrication. Once oil is returned to the oil pan there's no mechanism to keep the cooling passage oil and the engine lubrication oil separate. Given enough time, ALL the oil will pass through the oil cooler, the heads, the engine and the oil filter. There's just no mechanical way it can't.

You seem to be focused on heat and use that as the basis for saying not all the oil goes through the oil cooler. Using that train of thought, do you also believe that some of the oil doesn't go through the filter as well? Let's not talk about heat or the temperatures of sump oil; let's just talk about HOW ANY oil from a common oil pan pumped by a single pump remains separate.

Teach me what I don't know and I'll thank you. I've learned more by being wrong that I ever learned being right.
It's statistics. Ever heard of a bell curve? Some molecules will be at one end, some will be at the other end, most will be in the middle. IOW, some molecules will go thru the cooler alot. Some will go thru some. Some will hardly go thru at all.
In the end, it doesn't matter as the heat will even out in the pan. Run it long enough and every one of them will eventually go thru, but it'd be a task figuring out how long that might take.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The air/oil cooled M8 107 and 114(Softail S models) have the same oil cooling system. The XR1200 from the Buell parts bin had two oil pumps. One went to the cooler and one pumped to the engine. They both returned to the oil bag. The cooler feed through the heads to the bag and the engine pump through the engine to the bag. They worked without fault in many XR's and Buell bikes. Never heard of a failure on XR sites or Buell sites.

Mine have worked flawlessly on the 08 Buell Ulysses and 09 XR1200. That's about 20 years of good service. My 17 RGS 107 M8 and 18 Fat Bob S 114 M8 have not had any issue of any kind with 12K combined miles.

CVO M8's are 117 not 114.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-12-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system