Received 5,950 Likes on 4,031 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....c,76803.0.html

Old 12-31-2016, 01:26 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,342 Likes on 4,766 Posts

Originally Posted by boston jim
Hey Nomad, It's a fact that ALL the oil doesn't go thru the Oil Filter of a Twin Cam ! I read somewhere the M8 uses the same oil filter as the Twin Cam? The Infamous Donny Peterson, stated in AIM, 10/15 years ago, that the Evo oil filter was 30 micron, the Twin Cam at the time was 10 micron, with a more powerful oil pump, than the Evo. Donny's theory was the Twin Cam filter was too restrictive, & with a more powerful oil pump, oil would back up, build pressure, & the By-pass valve would open, all too often! He thought using an Evo 30 micron would allow more oil to flow & be filtered. My understanding now, is the Twin Cam filter is 5 micron, is that correct? If that is the case, the more powerful M8 oil pump will back up oil, opening the By-pass valve, letting unfiltered oil into the motor & oil cooler, crap blocking oil passages ? Happy New Year, BJ
PS, I'd like to hear Steve Cole comment, on my comment!
PSS, While poking around here last night, before I went out to dinner, I stumbled onto WWW.ULTRACOOLFL.COM, check it out!
yes same oil filter as the TC's

Old 12-31-2016, 01:31 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

There is NO Head Temp. sensor nor is there an Oil Temp. Sensor. Head Temp. is arrived at based upon a model that is in the calibration, as is Oil Temp. These models are developed by accurately measuring the temperatures under all engine conditions and then finding what effects the temperature change. This is then used by the ECM to arrive at the temperature for the unmeasured item your looking for. This is why I instrumented our test bikes with real sensors to directly measure and data log the Oil and cylinder head temperature on the M8. I'm not in the office to look up any exact data until we return to work next week but the Fan assist Oil cooler works well for it's intended purpose which is to lower Oil temp. in slow moving conditions. I found that to be under 35 MPH, above that the direct measure temp. showed no changes to the stock cooler. IMHO anyone who is going to ride an M8 in town is crazy not to change it out for the stock one supplied on a Touring bike.

Since the test bikes showed such a nice improvement, I found no reason to change what HD already has preset into the calibration for the trigger points for the Fan assist Oil Cooler.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
14GuineaPig (12-31-2016), Eccool (12-31-2016), mjwebb (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:12 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to test and post your results Steve. I know I appreciate the info and I'm sure others do too.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:14 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 534 Likes on 459 Posts

I wasn't trying to argue engine temp vs head temp, but thank you for the info. I was just showing that the 'engine temp sensor' as it is called by HD was located in the rear head of the M-8 engine. The only other sensor that I could find that measured temperature in any way was the TMAP sensor. I assume that measures air temp in the intake manifold but I could be wrong. I ride a 14 FLHTK and for 2014 HD decided to use ambient air temp as one of the triggers for the EITMS on many of the touring bikes. It was kind of odd that you could get on a bike on a 81* day and have the EITMS kick in at the first stop you made, even though the engine was not even fully warmed up. Like I mentioned in a earlier post, I was just curious about what HD decided to use to trigger the fan on the oil cooler. If what triggered the fan was known, then maybe some people would not be wondering if their fan assisted oil cooler was working properly.

Any way, enough of this. I'd just like to wish everyone a Safe & Happy New Year.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 06:29 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

The Engine Temp. Sensor is in the rear head as you found out and on your bike it's in the front head. Yes, EITMS on your bike stock, sucks, as the triggers in the calibration is setup like ****, this is why we changed it in our product. On your bike, it's set for engine run for greater than 4.25 minutes and Ambient Air Temp reading at or higher than 80 deg F. Doesn't even get around to checking the Engine Temp.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,342 Likes on 4,766 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The Engine Temp. Sensor is in the rear head as you found out and on your bike it's in the front head. Yes, EITMS on your bike stock, sucks, as the triggers in the calibration is setup like ****, this is why we changed it in our product. On your bike, it's set for engine run for greater than 4.25 minutes and Ambient Air Temp reading at or higher than 80 deg F. Doesn't even get around to checking the Engine Temp.
Hey Steve, would like your opinion on the M8 EITMS with the fan oil cooler...is there any harm just leaving it disabied year around? Guess I'm one of the few that the engine heat never really tortured me as much as the majority. But I don't particularly care for EITMS coming on as often as it does. The oil cooler fan has basically proven it's worth, but without EITMS enabled is there still a risk the bike will over heat easier and/or be bad for the engine? Thanks

Old 12-31-2016, 07:00 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,348 Likes on 5,492 Posts

Different liquids collect and give up heat at different rates. What we call anit freeze in our cars is designed to carry more heat and give it up faster than plain water. Oil is not nearly as efficient at it as the coolant in a wet head.
I played with watching head temps on my 2016 The head temps at the most ran about 30 degrees hotter than the head temp. The head temps never went over 274 degrees.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,950 Likes on 4,031 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Different liquids collect and give up heat at different rates. What we call anit freeze in our cars is designed to carry more heat and give it up faster than plain water. Oil is not nearly as efficient at it as the coolant in a wet head.
I played with watching head temps on my 2016 The head temps at the most ran about 30 degrees hotter than the head temp. The head temps never went over 274 degrees.
Sorry but the specific heat of water is higher than antifreeze.. Both are higher than oil..

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/sp...ids-d_151.html

Old 01-14-2017, 11:21 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

I had HD check and my oil cooler fan was in fact NOT enabled. The tech enabled it and it should be good now.

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system