Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:47 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,341 Likes on 4,766 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Thinks for the info but as I understand it,, Engine temp and cylinder head temp are not the same.. IIRC. Engine temps is some convoluted value that uses something like head temp and air inlet.. Anyone know for sure is engine temp is indeed cylinder head temp?
no idea, but bet Steve, who provided the data knows this stuff inside and out

Old 12-30-2016, 08:31 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 534 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Not sure what to think with the conflicting stories as to when the fan should be on. Mine has never been on yet. Was at the dealer today and its enabled, the techs say it wont come on till the oil reaches temp. He did not know what that temp was but he says its not coming on in this cold weather unless I was to idle the engine a very long time.

After reading all these posts, I wonder if the tech was correct about the fan not coming on until the oil reaches a certain "unknown" temp. I have looked at the parts catalog for the M-8 and I can't find any mention of a oil temp sensor. I really doubt that the M-8 has any oil temp sensor when it's never been used in earlier HD bikes. HD doesn't even offer a oil pressure sensor that can display oil PSI like earlier bikes. Maybe the fan gets triggered by the engine temp sensor that appears to be mounted in the rear head.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
After reading all these posts, I wonder if the tech was correct about the fan not coming on until the oil reaches a certain "unknown" temp. I have looked at the parts catalog for the M-8 and I can't find any mention of a oil temp sensor. I really doubt that the M-8 has any oil temp sensor when it's never been used in earlier HD bikes. HD doesn't even offer a oil pressure sensor that can display oil PSI like earlier bikes. Maybe the fan gets triggered by the engine temp sensor that appears to be mounted in the rear head.
it's thermostatically controlled is all I know

Old 12-31-2016, 06:45 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

The 2017 Police Service Manual Supplement (94000387) or the 2017 Trike Models Service Manual Supplement (94000391) might have some information as the fan equipped oil cooler is standard on those models that have the M-8 air cooled engine.

I should say that I'm just curious as I don't own a M-8. Steve Cole seems to be very knowledgeable about these new M-8 bikes so maybe he'll provide the answer.

MJ - a quick question for you, does the oil cooler appear different from the stock one or is it the same cooler just with the addition of a fan?

Old 12-31-2016, 07:17 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

The 2017 Police Service Manual Supplement (94000387) or the 2017 Trike Models Service Manual Supplement (94000391) might have some information as the fan equipped oil cooler is standard on those models that have the M-8 air cooled engine.

I should say that I'm just curious as I don't own a M-8. Steve Cole seems to be very knowledgeable about these new M-8 bikes so maybe he'll provide the answer.

MJ - a quick question for you, does the oil cooler appear different from the stock one or is it the same cooler just with the addition of a fan?
appears to be the same cooler just with the addition of a thermostatically controlled fan..dimensions are the same as it fits exactly in the place of the OEM cooler and cover

The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 08:53 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
no idea, but bet Steve, who provided the data knows this stuff inside and out
He does too. Still...I'm waiting to hear from someone that knows what temp or conditions must be met for the fans to come on. Asked Steve and this was his response.

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
It turns on and off based on what HD figured it needed. I could get into the calibration and change it but I want to start with using it just as they have it set.
So... still waiting to learn more.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

Well I'm going to bet that HD is using the Engine Temp Sensor that is installed in the rear head. I say this because the 2 models that come standard with the fan assisted oil cooler (police & freewheeler) don't have radios so they also don't run Ambient Air Temp Sensors (no place to display the air temp info). And we know HD removed the oil pressure PSI display (not that either of these models could display it) in favor of "Check Oil' & "OK". Some say this was done to reduce customer inquires/complaints about oil pressure. Based on that assumption, there isn't any way that HD would now install an oil temp sensor that could provide info on oil temps. They would have to have a dedicated customer service rep just to answer the added calls. Also, when looking at the parts for the fan assisted oil cooler, there isn't any oil temp sensor or thermostat listed. Just my guess ... waiting for info from someone who knows.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:49 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,950 Likes on 4,031 Posts

Well I'm going to bet that HD is using the Engine Temp Sensor that is installed in the rear head. I say this because the 2 models that come standard with the fan assisted oil cooler (police & freewheeler) don't have radios so they also don't run Ambient Air Temp Sensors (no place to display the air temp info). And we know HD removed the oil pressure PSI display (not that either of these models could display it) in favor of "Check Oil' & "OK". Some say this was done to reduce customer inquires/complaints about oil pressure. Based on that assumption, there isn't any way that HD would now install an oil temp sensor that could provide info on oil temps. They would have to have a dedicated customer service rep just to answer the added calls. Also, when looking at the parts for the fan assisted oil cooler, there isn't any oil temp sensor or thermostat listed. Just my guess ... waiting for info from someone who knows.
So the head temp sensor is the engine temp?

What about the air inlet temp?

Makes sense on removing the oil pressure and not having oil temp. People would likely freak out..

Old 12-31-2016, 10:08 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Old 12-31-2016, 10:59 AM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Nomad, It's a fact that ALL the oil doesn't go thru the Oil Filter of a Twin Cam ! I read somewhere the M8 uses the same oil filter as the Twin Cam? The Infamous Donny Peterson, stated in AIM, 10/15 years ago, that the Evo oil filter was 30 micron, the Twin Cam at the time was 10 micron, with a more powerful oil pump, than the Evo. Donny's theory was the Twin Cam filter was too restrictive, & with a more powerful oil pump, oil would back up, build pressure, & the By-pass valve would open, all too often! He thought using an Evo 30 micron would allow more oil to flow & be filtered. My understanding now, is the Twin Cam filter is 5 micron, is that correct? If that is the case, the more powerful M8 oil pump will back up oil, opening the By-pass valve, letting unfiltered oil into the motor & oil cooler, crap blocking oil passages ? Happy New Year, BJ
PS, I'd like to hear Steve Cole comment, on my comment!
PSS, While poking around here last night, before I went out to dinner, I stumbled onto WWW.ULTRACOOLFL.COM, check it out!

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system