Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:54 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Are the bikes water cooled, on the bikes that the fan doesn't come out?

After I got home I realized the water cooled don't have oil coolers. My bad.

Last edited by CR3999; 12-29-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:56 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, I'm really curious as to how these issues get resolved..1 year warranty, wife's will be factory 2 year..'if' mine fails outside that I'll throw the OEM on and switch to synthetic instead of shelling out another $400 ish..but getting way ahead of myself here as I don't believe there's a 50% failure rate..LOL..did anyone try 'rebooting' it by unplugging and plugging it back in? worth a shot I suppose...but yeah, if you ride it until operating temperature, park and let it idle while putting you're hand down there, there will be zero doubt if it's on or not
I took your earlier advice and checked to ensure it was plugged in all the way. It was but I unplugged it and plugged it back in anyway. I'll find out if it fixed it next time I ride it. If not, I'll take it to the dealer next week and see what's what. But if yours is coming on in 50 degree weather, mine should have definitely come on riding as many miles as I did yesterday with temps in the 60s.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,341 Likes on 4,766 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I took your earlier advice and checked to ensure it was plugged in all the way. It was but I unplugged it and plugged it back in anyway. I'll find out if it fixed it next time I ride it. If not, I'll take it to the dealer next week and see what's what. But if yours is coming on in 50 degree weather, mine should have definitely come on riding as many miles as I did yesterday with temps in the 60s.
most definitely take it in, doubtful the 'reboot' makes a difference but I'm in an IT profession..strange unexplainable things happen..and as I mentioned earlier, it comes on in 30 degree weather

Old 12-30-2016, 06:21 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,808 Likes on 628 Posts

When I rode mine with temps in the 60's it didn't come on either. I have a temp gauge on dipstick and oil temp never got above 225. Now it will be a couple months before I can ride it again

Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

Maybe MJ's Road King just runs abnormally hot.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:49 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Maybe MJ's Road King just runs abnormally hot.
could be the regular dose of 5000 rpm's, it's so much fun I just can't help myself

Old 12-30-2016, 08:58 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

While on the subject of heat, I have yet to feel any coming off the motor. The M8 does run much cooler than the Twincam.

Last edited by sixguns; 12-30-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sixguns
While on the subject of heat, I have yet to feel any coming off the motor. The M8 does run much cooler than the Twincam.
after my early September hot rides I noticed it was more comfortable than my Rushmore, but still felt the heat at stop lights..EITMS kicked on earlier and often was my perception..the thing that convinced me of their claim to have reduced exhaust gas temperatures by 100 degrees was my exhaust header color..there isn't any of the pretty blue and gold of my previous bikes!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

after my early September hot rides I noticed it was more comfortable than my Rushmore, but still felt the heat at stop lights..EITMS kicked on earlier and often was my perception..the thing that convinced me of their claim to have reduced exhaust gas temperatures by 100 degrees was my exhaust header color..there isn't any of the pretty blue and gold of my previous bikes!
The old Head pipes blued from the being somewhat chromed. The new head pipes are not chromed and much better to look at. My Rushmore head Pipe was a butt ugly weld splattered cheap chromed Blued POS. Fuel Moto Jack Pot SS coated came to the rescue.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,950 Likes on 4,031 Posts

Steve did a great job of capturing, tracking and reporting these tests and results so I'll try to save him a little time unless he has something more to add, but here's what he posted, with the caveat the after upgrade tests were performed in "5-8 degree cooler weather" but identical test ride route, traffic, speeds, etc...but sure looks positive

Before Upgrade Results:
Measured Peak Engine temperature = 340 F
Measured Peak Oil Sump temperature = 267 F
Measured Peak Head Oil Return temperature = 290 F

After Upgrade Results:
Measured Peak Engine temperature = 302 F
Measured Peak Oil Sump temperature = 201 F
Measured Peak Head Oil Return temperature = 240 F
Thinks for the info but as I understand it,, Engine temp and cylinder head temp are not the same.. IIRC. Engine temps is some convoluted value that uses something like head temp and air inlet.. Anyone know for sure is engine temp is indeed cylinder head temp?

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system