Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 4,762 Posts

went for a long ride today..in the 30's...pull into the garage fan is blowing..makes me wonder if it even allows the oil to get up to proper operating temp..LOL

Old 12-24-2016, 09:50 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
went for a long ride today..in the 30's...pull into the garage fan is blowing..makes me wonder if it even allows the oil to get up to proper operating temp..LOL
Does anyone know what the temp is that triggers the thermostat to turn on the fan? I've ridden mine a few times and the fan hasn't kicked on yet. If it continues I'm gonna take it back to the dealer and have them make sure it was turned on in the ECM.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:01 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Does anyone know what the temp is that triggers the thermostat to turn on the fan? I've ridden mine a few times and the fan hasn't kicked on yet. If it continues I'm gonna take it back to the dealer and have them make sure it was turned on in the ECM.
no idea, but yours must not be enabled..3 times out so far, 50, 40 and mid 30 degree temps and both mine and my wife's have kicked on..does say the fan is thermostatically controlled to activate when oil temperatures rise, and since this unit is designated for just the oil flowing to the heads and can decrease oil temps by as much as 50 degrees when activated, would interesting to know where the sensor is reading the temp

update: another long ride today in the 30's, really poured the coals to it..(as usual :-) fan on so it's pretty apparent that the fan is going to come on every single time I ride year around..leaves me wondering if it runs at any speed once the oil temp threshold is achieved. I also noticed if you put your hand behind or under it, it really blows harder there than in front of it.."provides continuous flow of cooling air"..so it's actually drawing the heat away instead of blowing on it which makes sense, just worded in a confusing way

"This easy to install Oil Cooler features a thermostatically controlled fan that provides continuous flow of cooling air – even while the bike is idling in traffic or moving at low speed. Fan automatically engages when the engine oil temperature rises. When in operation, the Fan Assisted Oil Cooler can provide up to a 50 degree drop in oil temperature."

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-26-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:33 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,808 Likes on 628 Posts

I haven't had mine out for a while but last time I rode in 50's and 60's fan hasn't come on at all. It's never been that warm since I got it but I don't remember it ever being on. I took it to dealer they enabled it, wondering maybe I got a bad one.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruisinmann
I haven't had mine out for a while but last time I rode in 50's and 60's fan hasn't come on at all. It's never been that warm since I got it but I don't remember it ever being on. I took it to dealer they enabled it, wondering maybe I got a bad one.
gotta' be honest, I initially questioned if maybe mine, which was added on, was perhaps set incorrectly to come on but I'm guessing it's just enabled or disabled..and the fact that my wife's Freewheeler came from the factory with it installed and comes on as well....this is strange hearing others report validating enabled but not coming on..I'm at a loss to explain..all I can think of is if you're expecting to hear the fan as validation you won't..you have to put your hand around it then it's painfully obvious on..really curious as to why this inconsistent behavior exists..hopefully Steve Cole can chime in, he was one of the early validator's, and although in CA where it's warmer, surely he's been riding as their temperatures have cooled and he may have some input

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-27-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,682 Likes on 1,668 Posts

If you want to validate the operation of the Oil Cooler fan just go for a ride and get the bike up to normal operating temperatures. Then allow the bike to sit and idle on the jiffy stand. Place your hand down by the backside of the cooler and see if you can feel it blowing. In 50 F deg it doesn't take mine to long to come on once the bike is up to temperature. I cannot hear it running as the engine is louder than the fan when on. Now once your up and riding the ECM will shut the fan off as the road speed will force enough air through the cooler. We found in testing with real gauges and data logging equipment installed that it improved the low speed oil temperatures by about 30+ degrees.

If your hoping to just hear it running I do not think that is going to be possible over the engine and exhaust noise.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
cruisinmann (12-27-2016), mjwebb (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,937 Likes on 4,023 Posts

Steve,

Did it do anything for cylinder head temps?

Old 12-27-2016, 08:48 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Steve,

Did it do anything for cylinder head temps?
Steve did a great job of capturing, tracking and reporting these tests and results so I'll try to save him a little time unless he has something more to add, but here's what he posted, with the caveat the after upgrade tests were performed in "5-8 degree cooler weather" but identical test ride route, traffic, speeds, etc...but sure looks positive

Before Upgrade Results:
Measured Peak Engine temperature = 340 F
Measured Peak Oil Sump temperature = 267 F
Measured Peak Head Oil Return temperature = 290 F

After Upgrade Results:
Measured Peak Engine temperature = 302 F
Measured Peak Oil Sump temperature = 201 F
Measured Peak Head Oil Return temperature = 240 F

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-27-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:07 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

I pretty much confirmed today that the dealer didn't turn mine on when they installed it. Temp was low 60s and I went for a 250 mile ride. Stopped numerous times and checked the fan while idling. It's either not switched on or broken. I'm gonna have the dealer check it out when the service guys come back from their holiday break next week.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I pretty much confirmed today that the dealer didn't turn mine on when they installed it. Temp was low 60s and I went for a 250 mile ride. Stopped numerous times and checked the fan while idling. It's either not switched on or broken. I'm gonna have the dealer check it out when the service guys come back from their holiday break next week.
yeah, likely they just didn't enable it..it'll come on every time you ride regardless of outdoor temp..you could take a quick look to see if it's plugged in properly..maybe it just didn't snap together..shot in the dark tho

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-28-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system