Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 07:23 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,275 Likes on 4,741 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Yes it has an oil cooler. From what I've heard, the fan assisted cooler is larger than the the stock cooler. I have a fan/cooler on order and just trying to do the logistics on also installing new lowers on the bike.
no offense, but Harley has a website with pictures, diagrams/instructions and descriptions of their products..everything you needed to know is all right there

Engineered as a bolt-on replacement for the Original Equipment oil cooler, the Fan Assisted Oil Cooler is plug-and-play compatible with your bike’s wiring harness

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...oil-cooler-kit

Old 12-13-2016, 09:03 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Web Site

Yeah, MJ, I know about the HD installation instructions and the info on the HD site about the cooler in their parts that fit...NOWHERE does it give physical dimensions. Do you have one mounted on your bike ?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:36 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Yeah, MJ, I know about the HD installation instructions and the info on the HD site about the cooler in their parts that fit...NOWHERE does it give physical dimensions. Do you have one mounted on your bike ?
yes I do, that's why I said it's a hot swap..the picture they show on the frame shows it's the exact same fitment and they even describe it as such..nonetheless, here's a pic of the OEM and the OEM replacement w/fan on the bike if it helps..it doesn't interfere with anything anymore that the OEM would

Attached Thumbnails M8 advanced oil cooler system-img_0464.jpg  

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-13-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:42 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,874 Likes on 3,989 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yes I do, that's why I said it's a hot swap..the picture they show on the frame shows it's the exact same fitment and they even describe it as such..nonetheless, here's a pic of the OEM and the OEM replacement w/fan on the bike if it helps..it doesn't interfere with anything anymore that the OEM would

Wonder how long the fan is going to last if the bike is ridden in the rain..

Add:
Here is another question.. The regulator appears to be blocking air flow to the motor.. Does it have any holes in it?

Last edited by Max Headflow; 12-14-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:04 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Wonder how long the fan is going to last if the bike is ridden in the rain..

Add:
Here is another question.. The regulator appears to be blocking air flow to the motor.. Does it have any holes in it?
"Unlike other models, the Harley-Davidson® Fan Assisted Oil Cooler utilizes weather-rated fans and electronics that are designed for the harsh motorcycle environment"

re:"Here is another question.. The regulator appears to be blocking air flow to the motor.. Does it have any holes in it?"

don't know, don't care...I've had plenty of Harleys, some without any oil coolers and rode them hard on many long distance hot trips, and never use synthetic engine oil. They have all held up just fine without problems.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,825 Likes on 1,591 Posts

don't know, don't care...I've had plenty of Harleys, some without any oil coolers and rode them hard on many long distance hot trips, and never use synthetic engine oil. They have all held up just fine without problems.
Funny, that is exactly how I feel about this new dodad. So basically you're paying a bunch of bucks for the same size oil cooler but with a water-proof fan and shroud on the back. That, and no one has found a reason it's actually needed (oil test) - yet, nor does anyone but "Product Expert" know when the fan actually comes on, just that it does come on.

Solid.

The following users liked this post:
boston jim (12-31-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
Funny, that is exactly how I feel about this new dodad. So basically you're paying a bunch of bucks for the same size oil cooler but with a water-proof fan and shroud on the back. That, and no one has found a reason it's actually needed (oil test) - yet, nor does anyone but "Product Expert" know when the fan actually comes on, just that it does come on.

Solid.
I put one on and probably would have on my past bikes if they had been available based on the old "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it" and at least know it can't hurt...I don't factor in the expense as a potential waste of money....I've spent the same amount many times on stuff that is absolutely worthless like chrome goodies, etc. so helping the air cooled engine keep oil temps from spiking on the long hot trips I take every year is money well spent for my confidence level alone..one less thing to spend time thinking about

Old 12-14-2016, 09:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,874 Likes on 3,989 Posts

"Unlike other models, the Harley-Davidson® Fan Assisted Oil Cooler utilizes weather-rated fans and electronics that are designed for the harsh motorcycle environment"

re:"Here is another question.. The regulator appears to be blocking air flow to the motor.. Does it have any holes in it?"

I assumed that but keeping them sealed under water so it's a different thing than just leaving them out in the weather.. .. At least on the water cooled motors the radiator fans are up higher so they won't catch water from the front tire.

Baggers prior to the M8 had the regulator laying flat so the air could flow over it.. The dyna and softails typically stand the regulator up but they are typically smaller. I don't think long distances are where Hd needs the cooler. It's traffic..

FWIW imo Long distance riding allows you to extend oil life as what really kills oil on an air cooled motor is starting and stopping..

Old 12-15-2016, 08:09 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Pics

Hey mj...Thanks for the pic.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member