Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:07 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Since all our bikes are so new I do not think the hoses much matter unless they screw them up taking it apart. So I put my new ones from the kit in the tool box. The clamps they give you suck and since I have the factory crimp tools and extra new clamps I put the crimp style back on mine when I did it. I like the smooth ID of the clamp with no slots to cut into the rubber hose of the crimp style clamp.
yeah, every worm drive clamp I have used on rubber hoses I always wrapped black electrical tape around so at least there's a buffer to eat into something first instead of the hose

Old 12-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hey webb

That's gotta be the tip of the year!!

Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Fan Assisted Oil Coller

I have a question about this new fan assisted oil cooler...How much bigger than the stock cooler, that came on the bike, is it ?
The reason I ask is because I want to put lower leg fairings on the bike and would like to know if they will fit without modifications, or if I'm going to have to do some cutting in order to accommodate the dimensions of the new cooler.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna rider
I have a question about this new fan assisted oil cooler...How much bigger than the stock cooler, that came on the bike, is it ?
The reason I ask is because I want to put lower leg fairings on the bike and would like to know if they will fit without modifications, or if I'm going to have to do some cutting in order to accommodate the dimensions of the new cooler.
it's a hot swap

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...oil-cooler-kit

Old 12-11-2016, 02:57 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Default Hot Swap

I don't think it is quite that simple...The ultras are water cooled and I don't think they have an oil cooler because of that fact. If the new fan assisted oil cooler is a lot bigger then it is going to interfere with the new lower fairings.
Just trying to figure out if lower fairing will, in fact go on a special.
Any of you Ultra guys have an oil cooler ?

Old 12-11-2016, 04:24 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,166 Likes on 4,385 Posts

I don't think it is quite that simple...The ultras are water cooled and I don't think they have an oil cooler because of that fact. If the new fan assisted oil cooler is a lot bigger then it is going to interfere with the new lower fairings.
I believe the twin cooled bikes don't have an oil cooler because the coolant pump is mounted where the oil cooler usually mounts. I'm not sure the lower fairings have anything to do with it...

I'd stop at a dealer and measure the oil cooler and compare it to the size of the coolant pump system.......

Old 12-11-2016, 04:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

guess I don't understand the adding lowers challenge as it relates to the oil cooler..my fan assisted oil cooler replaced the OEM cooler and you can't tell the difference..it fits in the exact same spot

Old 12-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,682 Likes on 1,668 Posts

If your 2017 bike currently has an Oil Cooler on it, no worries. If you have an Ultra Limited they do not have an Oil Cooler so you cannot use it. I own a 2017 Road Glide and a 2017 Ultra Limited.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,642 Likes on 6,667 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, every worm drive clamp I have used on rubber hoses I always wrapped black electrical tape around so at least there's a buffer to eat into something first instead of the hose
When I used to work at O'Reilly's I remember selling what they call fuel injection hose clamps. They were made for high pressure. The band part of the clamp was flat and would not bite into the hose. It used a regular flat blade screw to tighten it. Cost on them wasn't much more than regular hose clamps.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-11-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 06:02 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Default 2017 RG Special

Yes it has an oil cooler. From what I've heard, the fan assisted cooler is larger than the the stock cooler. I have a fan/cooler on order and just trying to do the logistics on also installing new lowers on the bike.

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system