Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,682 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Well it appears like your bikes are making enough temperature to trigger the fan even in low ambient temperatures. That just shows the need for the fan IMHO as what I saw in testing in what I would consider not really hot weather was the same thing. Glad I've got it now and will sure help come next spring when our temperatures starts on the way back up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Eccool (12-07-2016), mjwebb (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

well, you got me interested. NY isn't Florida but there are times in the summer when it is super hot and humid. And obviously when I spend most of my time on the bike. I have the SGS so I guess I'm looking at getting the following: is this correct?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...oil-cooler-kit

and not this

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...800128--1#tabs

Old 12-07-2016, 11:13 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
well, you got me interested. NY isn't Florida but there are times in the summer when it is super hot and humid. And obviously when I spend most of my time on the bike. I have the SGS so I guess I'm looking at getting the following: is this correct?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...oil-cooler-kit

and not this

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...800128--1#tabs
Yes you are correct.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,831 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Well it appears like your bikes are making enough temperature to trigger the fan even in low ambient temperatures. That just shows the need for the fan IMHO as what I saw in testing in what I would consider not really hot weather was the same thing. Glad I've got it now and will sure help come next spring when our temperatures starts on the way back up.
Like anything else that is thermostatically controlled, there is some threshold that when passed turns the deal (fan) on. If that threshold was say 290 degrees oil pan temp or over 300 head return oil temp I would agree with you, but without knowing what the actual turn on temp is who can say that "it's needed". What if it's set to come on when the oil temp is 150? Just saying.

Maybe you can find some documentation that shows when it comes on, or maybe just measure oil temps and tell us when it turns on the fan. Just curious.

Again, no doubt the fan helps, but is it actually needed? HD states its for parade duty or long idle use.

Last edited by lp; 12-07-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by lp
Like anything else that is thermostatically controlled, there is some threshold that when passed turns the deal (fan) on. If that threshold was say 290 degrees oil pan temp or over 300 head return oil temp I would agree with you, but without knowing what the actual turn on temp is who can say that "it's needed". What if it's set to come on when the oil temp is 150? Just saying.

Maybe you can find some documentation that shows when it comes on, or maybe just measure oil temps and tell us when it turns on the fan. Just curious.

Again, no doubt the fan helps, but is it actually needed? HD states its for parade duty or long idle use.
It turns on and off based on what HD figured it needed. I could get into the calibration and change it but I want to start with using it just as they have it set. That said the temperture data I posted shows that it helps and after all the money we spend on these bikes, it's very cheap insurance in my book.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:44 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,831 Likes on 1,592 Posts

It turns on and off based on what HD figured it needed. I could get into the calibration and change it but I want to start with using it just as they have it set. That said the temperture data I posted shows that it helps and after all the money we spend on these bikes, it's very cheap insurance in my book.
I don't disagree it will help Steve. I'm wondering what oil temp it comes on at.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Fryin' pan?

The oil does all go in the pan but there is nothing to force all the oil to the cooler at one time or another. There is nothing mixing the oil in the pan. Sure, giving enough time it should end up in the cooler at one time or another but that doesn't do much good if the oil has already been pushed to hot and is breaking down. Once that occurs mixing bad oil with good oil is even worse! Were just in the learning phase of things and until all the data is gathered we will not know for sure. All I can say is it's not looking good based on the heat readings so far from the engine temperature sensors and from head temperature readings. Once we have the missing piece, which is Oil temperatures, things will be what they are. If it needs and addition oil cooler I will install one, others can do as they wish as its there bike.

Just what I was thinking. Heat damage some of oil then mix it with the rest in the pan. Eventually all the oil becomes burnt?? Can't see how oil can last long in a journal right next to a super heated exhaust valve.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Oil cooler on my bike came with crimp on clamps at the hose connections, not the spring type that have had a few reports of leaking,so a change has been made there.

The new fan assist cooler kit came with new hoses, My bike is brand new so we felt no reason to change them, have a worm drive clamp at the cooler end,and the upper hose ends crimp on clamps were left as is.

Its my intention so swap out the worm drive when I get the bike home.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:45 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Oil cooler on my bike came with crimp on clamps at the hose connections, not the spring type that have had a few reports of leaking,so a change has been made there.

The new fan assist cooler kit came with new hoses, My bike is brand new so we felt no reason to change them, have a worm drive clamp at the cooler end,and the upper hose ends crimp on clamps were left as is.

Its my intention so swap out the worm drive when I get the bike home.
when I picked my bike up was surprised to see they didn't change the hoses and only used the worm drive clamps on the bottom two. was pissed off at first expecting to see the whole kit installed, so now I have compression, spring and worm clarmps..already had a leak with spring clamp but they said it wasn't positioned properly from the factory, resting on the flange. anyway, rode it until it was operating temp and fittings were bone dry so guess that's all that matters..have new hoses as a backup

Old 12-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Since all our bikes are so new I do not think the hoses much matter unless they screw them up taking it apart. So I put my new ones from the kit in the tool box. The clamps they give you suck and since I have the factory crimp tools and extra new clamps I put the crimp style back on mine when I did it. I like the smooth ID of the clamp with no slots to cut into the rubber hose of the crimp style clamp.

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system