Sponsored by:

M8 advanced oil cooler system

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,341 Likes on 4,766 Posts

Originally Posted by torchmaster
I would be very interested to see what these temps are here in Fl in August where it's 98 every afternoon.
the important thing, and all that really matters is they will be lower than without it...LOL

Old 11-25-2016, 08:33 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
the important thing, and all that really matters is they will be lower than without it...LOL
Unless you don't need it of which you'd just thrown 300-400 bucks at a non-issue. Doubtful, but you never know.

Can wait for someone with a stock bike without the new fan/cooler to send an oil sample to blackstone for analysis.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:43 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
Unless you don't need it of which you'd just thrown 300-400 bucks at a non-issue. Doubtful, but you never know.

Can wait for someone with a stock bike without the new fan/cooler to send an oil sample to blackstone for analysis.
oh I think in Florida with 98 degrees everyday in August you'd need it..besides, how many of us spend $300-$400 on bling we don't 'need' and just threw money away

Old 11-25-2016, 08:48 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

oh I think in Florida with 98 degrees everyday in August you'd need it..besides, how many of us spend $300-$400 on bling we don't 'need' and just threw money away
It's been my experience that if it actually needed it - so the engine would last need it, it would be on the bike already. You won't find too many "engine blew up because of bad oil or overtemp" posts around here...

The fan assisted oil cooler is just going to make the oil itself last longer, but if you change oils at the normal intervals you will likely never have any problems. In Florida or Antarctica.

That said, it is a nice part and I'm sure it's going to be worth it to most that get one - if not just for possible lower seat temps.

Last edited by lp; 11-25-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
It's been my experience that if it actually needed it - so the engine would last need it, it would be on the bike already. You won't find too many "engine blew up because of bad oil or overtemp" posts around here...

The fan assisted oil cooler is just going to make the oil itself last longer, but if you change oils at the normal intervals you will likely never have any problems. In Florida or Antarctica.

That said, it is a nice part and I'm sure it's going to be worth it to most that get one - if not just for possible lower seat temps.
agreed it's not necessary as OEM equip for every 107 out the door...more likely the exception rather than the rule..which explains why it is OEM on the Freewheeler..MoCo believes these are used a lot for Parade type events. but being a new engine, and as Steve Cole pointed out early on in conducting tests..since the oil is now used to cool the heads and gets super heated it contributed to above normal sump temps in moderate weather under driving speeds that weren't creating a lot of air cooling...living in Oregon, many would be inclined to think it isn't a region where it would be necessary..but I ride 12-15K miles a year and a high percentage of that is late Spring thru early Fall where we get our share of 80-100 degree days, and also do long trips to nearby States where it is as hot or hotter. simply put it was the first thing I ordered for my new M8 because it was one of the few things in the entire P&A Catalog that I figured would be truly beneficial. doubt many would argue that heat is the enemy and I'd rather have my oil at 250 than 300 during the Summer rides

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-25-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:50 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Really interested in the engine oil temps under various riding conditions. Currently I have a '14 RK that is stock except with the Cat removed and the ECU re flashed by Power Vision. The bike runs great but I still ride it like I did with my many past BMW's....Sport Touring, cruising out west with the Cruise control set at 90, new American Elites every 7 to 8,000 miles....

Would love to see the various oil temps of the new M8 RK under these same or similar conditions. New '17 RK this coming spring.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:43 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

just came back from a long ride with wife in 50 degree weather..when we stopped I put my hand in front of the oil cooler on her Freewheeler and the fan was on...hard to see or hear the things working..so the sensor must trigger the fan at just above what MoCo considers normal operating temps I'm guessing..but Hell, since it works during almost Winter it's going to probably burn out this Summer..that 1 year warranty isn't sounding so good, that sucker is going to be working overtime :-)

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-27-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I do not think it will be an issue. The fan is controlled by heat and vehicle speed. Once your above~ 30 MPH regardless of heat level it's shut off by the calibration. So when the temperature is cool the fan is off and when speed is up the fan is off.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-30-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 09:16 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

got mine installed today, 40 degrees out..ran a hard 20 miles home, wanted to check for leaks..none..when I parked in the garage the fan was blowing..I was surprised when my wife's fan on her Freewheeler was on at 50 degrees out

Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

got mine installed today, 40 degrees out..ran a hard 20 miles home, wanted to check for leaks..none..when I parked in the garage the fan was blowing..I was surprised when my wife's fan on her Freewheeler was on at 50 degrees out
Good deal. I'm more confident in mine now.

Quick Reply: M8 advanced oil cooler system