Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016 | 08:09 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

pardon my ignorance, but what bike came stock with the 13'' hand adjustable premium shocks? as far as I am aware, the only premium hand adjustables that were sold oem were the low versions.

Old 09-18-2016 | 08:33 PM
TonyGisCWO4
Intermediate

As far as I know the 2017s are the only ones to get the standard length shocks with the FLHTCU, my interest, and other Tour Pak Baggers other than the Low models. I believe the shocks themselves have been around for a number of years but they are new to me.

TG

Old 09-18-2016 | 09:04 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by skratch
pardon my ignorance, but what bike came stock with the 13'' hand adjustable premium shocks? as far as I am aware, the only premium hand adjustables that were sold oem were the low versions.
I don't think through '16 the 13" were standard on any bikes.... even the Limited got air shocks. They were however available for years as a replacement shock.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 09-19-2016 | 03:58 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

that's what I thought.

i can't imagine that they would have just taken the same shock and changed the part number. unfortunately, if there is a change, we, as end users, don't often get the benefit of finding out just what the change is. did they change the valving? spring rate? etc.... would be nice to know.

Last edited by skratch; 09-19-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2016 | 03:53 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

that's what I thought.

i can't imagine that they would have just taken the same shock and changed the part number. unfortunately, if there is a change, we, as end users, don't often get the benefit of finding out just what the change is. did they change the valving? spring rate? etc.... would be nice to know.
Turns out there is a change... I believe the 2017's have more turns available on the adjustment ****?

Old 09-24-2016 | 10:30 PM
TonyGisCWO4
Intermediate

Well, I received my new Hand Adjustable Premium Shocks, standard length. First impression;

- Out the box I noticed that I received the right side shock with the more closely wound springs reputed to ride more harshly but with an Ultra w/Tour Pak and me weighing 255lbs it wasn't an issue; and if it was I've seen on YouTube where someone successfully cut off 3 of the closely wound coils to soften up the ride.
- Definitely smother than the air shocks.
- Reduced "pogoing" during acceleration noticeably.
- Reduced brake dive during light to moderate braking noticeably.
- Less wallowing in curves, inspires higher speeds and more lean angle.
- Total of 36 clicks, 19 full clicks ( make mark on the shaft of the handle with nail-set to more easily identify 1 Full Turn. I'm at 14 full turns, 300lbs, for me and my usual load. I think that the Half Turn clicks are useful to fine tune your baseline settings.
- Printed out adjustment table and highlighted the clicks to accommodate a few different loads; solo and eventually solo/packed and with wife and wife/packed.
- Convinced me to order Ricor Intiminators much sooner than I planned.
Planing a 450 mile round trip soon and will be anxious to see if they loosen up any.

Well worth the $482.00, w/shipping, from Surdyke.

S/F,

TG

The following users liked this post:
shimaze (10-08-2016)
Old 09-25-2016 | 06:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Many thanks for that link. I don't know what they are up to but my favourite parts websites have gone to the dogs recently. That one restores my faith and availability!

Old 09-25-2016 | 11:18 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Many thanks for that link. I don't know what they are up to but my favourite parts websites have gone to the dogs recently. That one restores my faith and availability!
yeah, me too. seems like many of the parts fiches took a step backwards and deleted all the 2017 info.

there is another resource that I like to use. it is the hd 'service information portal'. it gives you access to parts manuals, owner's manuals, and wiring diagrams free. there is other info there, but I guess you have to have a subscription to access that.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/

register, and then enter as an 'independent operator'.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016 | 11:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

yeah, me too. seems like many of the parts fiches took a step backwards and deleted all the 2017 info.

there is another resource that I like to use. it is the hd 'service information portal'. it gives you access to parts manuals, owner's manuals, and wiring diagrams free. there is other info there, but I guess you have to have a subscription to access that.

I'm in! Many thanks. You are quite right that there is limited access without subscribing, which it implies a private individual can't do. I'll play around and see what I can learn.

Old 09-25-2016 | 06:19 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member

Even though I'm registered, I can't find the wiring diagrams for a 2017 FLHTK. Looks like subscription only. Same for Service and Electrical manuals.

Quick Reply: M8 shocks