Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Milwaukee-8 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:22 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
They will sound much better around the 700 mile mark with them on.. They come alive, believe me.. Everyone who installed them will concur...
I concur. The decibel level on my street cannons went up 8% after 700 miles and I have been told they continue to get louder over time. 8% does not sound like much, but you can hear it. I am liking mine.

The following users liked this post:
SGoertz (01-02-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

I installed a HD Smart Siren II On my SGS today.
Simple plug and play installation. As usual, Harley instructions suck lol
When I found the section for "installation on 2008 and later FL" I found the picture of the electrical box under the left side cover to be completely different than what my 2017 Street Glide Special actually has.
I have attached a picture showing what a 2017 FL electrical box looks like. The red arrow shows where the plug for the siren was plugged in from the factory. It looks like it is plugged in but it is actually just plugged into a dummy receptacle. Just unplug it and plug it into your new siren. The green arrow shows it plugged into the just installed new siren. The green arrow also gives you an idea of where the slot is to slide the siren box into. it fits perfect with no slop. It becomes very obvious the bike was designed to have the siren installed but of course the moco wants us to spend more money. Make sure you have the speaker pointing down as there is a hole in the slot for the siren speaker.

This siren will send a alert to a pager (sold separately of course) up to a half mile away if the alarm is triggered. The white arrow is showing how I routed the antennae using the supplied velcro. The instructions say to mount it to the frame rail but in the next sentence it tells you to not let it touch any metal. If the antennae does touch metal it wont send a signal to your pager to let you know someone is messing with your bike so this is important. It works well where I have it routed, it looks neat and there is no chance of it touching metal.
It took longer to remove the left saddlebag and side cover than it did to install the siren. Sorry for the crappy pic quality...

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Milwaukee-8 today?-20170101_160511_resized-copy.jpg  
Sleeperagent2 (06-03-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 09:34 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 663 Posts

Yup same here. Good ol YouTube helped me install the siren. Didn't run the antenna because I'm not getting the pager.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 AM
SGoertz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will sound much better around the 700 mile mark with them on.. They come alive, believe me.. Everyone who installed them will concur...
I hope so, they must be burning something off, they did give off a nasty smell, but I did not notice it after a hundred mile ride yesterday. Working on my filter backplate again today between thunderstorms.

-Sam

Old 01-02-2017, 08:57 AM
SGoertz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no clutch adjustment with the new clutch's..
Not even internally? I remember older hydraulic clutches on autos if the slave cylibder drove a fork could be adjusted for the engagement point. Newer cars without any adjustment can be anticipated for clutch wear by how close to the top of the pedal they engage at. My M8 also engages almost at the complete release of the clutch lever. If there is zero adjustment, this may pose a problem. My cable operated clutch which I just traded for this one had an adjustment on the clutch. I hope these do also. -Sam

Old 01-02-2017, 03:01 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

extended length floor boards and shifter and brake pedal cover..I'm 6'3" and this should add comfort

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Milwaukee-8 today?-dsc_4218.jpg   What did you do to your Milwaukee-8 today?-dsc_4219.jpg  
Old 01-02-2017, 04:28 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Very nice MJ! I'm looking for a way to move my board forward and out some. Since the Kury brackets don't fit I'm looking for other ways.

mjwebb (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
extended length floor boards and shifter and brake pedal cover..I'm 6'3" and this should add comfort
Sharp! Nice pics, very clear.

mjwebb (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Hephaestus
I installed a HD Smart Siren II On my SGS today.
Simple plug and play installation. As usual, Harley instructions suck lol
When I found the section for "installation on 2008 and later FL" I found the picture of the electrical box under the left side cover to be completely different than what my 2017 Street Glide Special actually has.
I have attached a picture showing what a 2017 FL electrical box looks like. The red arrow shows where the plug for the siren was plugged in from the factory. It looks like it is plugged in but it is actually just plugged into a dummy receptacle. Just unplug it and plug it into your new siren. The green arrow shows it plugged into the just installed new siren. The green arrow also gives you an idea of where the slot is to slide the siren box into. it fits perfect with no slop. It becomes very obvious the bike was designed to have the siren installed but of course the moco wants us to spend more money. Make sure you have the speaker pointing down as there is a hole in the slot for the siren speaker.

This siren will send a alert to a pager (sold separately of course) up to a half mile away if the alarm is triggered. The white arrow is showing how I routed the antennae using the supplied velcro. The instructions say to mount it to the frame rail but in the next sentence it tells you to not let it touch any metal. If the antennae does touch metal it wont send a signal to your pager to let you know someone is messing with your bike so this is important. It works well where I have it routed, it looks neat and there is no chance of it touching metal.
It took longer to remove the left saddlebag and side cover than it did to install the siren. Sorry for the crappy pic quality...
There is a page specifically in the instructions for the 2014 and later FL touring bikes. It's about half way through the many pages of instructions that come with the siren II which fit all their later models from about 2002.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:31 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by YPD485
There is a page specifically in the instructions for the 2014 and later FL touring bikes. It's about half way through the many pages of instructions that come with the siren II which fit all their later models from about 2002.
Yup it's there. And it's still inaccurate.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Milwaukee-8 today?