Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM
2016CTRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default M8 Starting Issues

My 2017 RGS has 10,600 miles on it and has recently developed a starting issue. Does not occur all the time. Every now and then after all switches are on and I hit the starter button, the bike will turn over once then stop. If I release the button and then hit it again it will start no problem. Has been happening with more frequency--3 to 4 times a week. Originally thought that it was just the way the bike engine stopped but now is happening more often. No codes. Service looked at it 2 weeks ago but could not replicate it. Any thoughts. I tender the bike every night (sing to it as well)

Old 07-27-2017, 01:13 PM
bones932
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear O2 sensor, Check engine light, cleared it and it has not come back for 3000 miles, maybe just a one off

Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM
bones932
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if the same on the Limited.....will have to look. Maybe even remove that bolt above and place a small piece of metal acting as skid plate???

Old 07-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,960 Likes on 4,035 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016CTRoadGlide
My 2017 RGS has 10,600 miles on it and has recently developed a starting issue. Does not occur all the time. Every now and then after all switches are on and I hit the starter button, the bike will turn over once then stop. If I release the button and then hit it again it will start no problem. Has been happening with more frequency--3 to 4 times a week. Originally thought that it was just the way the bike engine stopped but now is happening more often. No codes. Service looked at it 2 weeks ago but could not replicate it. Any thoughts. I tender the bike every night (sing to it as well)

Who changed the handlebars? Did the wiring get extended?

Old 07-27-2017, 06:55 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Stop singing to the bike (;

Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016CTRoadGlide
Did the dealer load test the battery?

Old 07-28-2017, 12:04 AM
BLKDLX
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerdan128
Anyone who decides not to buy a new bike solely based on this particular forum, or any other forum that focuses on bad things only, is a moron. I know 3 other people besides myself who own Ultra Limiteds, plus have run into many more on the road who absolutely love them and have had zero issues. My biggest complaint, if you wanna call it that, is its not loud enough. I have the 4" Street Cannons with a stage one kit and tuner. I understand not buying for whatever reason someone may be waiting on, but, if it's only based on the small # of issues compared to the amount of these bikes sold, then that's just stupid. Before anyone cuts me down, I don't know the ratio of bikes sold with problems to bikes sold without problems. I am very curious if that info is available.
I agree anybody who would make that decision BASED ONLY on this form would be ignorant. That said, anybody who would base that decision based on problems is doing their homework. There are far too many motorcycles that have problems especially with the oil migration. I can understand why somebody would not want to spend $20-$30,000 and take a chance of bike is gonna run properly, that's not a chance they should have to take. It may be a small percent, but it's a big enough percent that's should not be acceptable. Ask the unlucky people who's motorcycles have been sitting in the shop 90% of the time since they bought them, see what their opinion is. And yes their opinion does matter. I personally think there's a lot more bikes that have a the migration problem than people realize, many people just don't ride them hard enough to notice it right away. I'm sure Harley will get it figured out, but until they do, I've got time to wait. And I'm not basing that decision just on this thread or forum, it's based on a lot of other research and people I know personally. Actually everybody I know who bought a M8 has this problem. I only know three, but three for three isn't very good in my opinion.

Last edited by BLKDLX; 07-28-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I bought mine earlier this month and didn't ride it much the first week. The following weekend I set on a 180 mile trip. The first time stopped for gas, oil was leaking out the right side of the engine. It wasn't too bad of mess but it was also hitting the pipes and burning off. after not seeing anything obvious, I thought it might have been some blowby and continued on. When I got to where I was going, the right side of the bike was mess. Oil was all over the right side to include the tourpak. Long story short, it ended up being a defect in the rear cylinder head. It was replaced and no issues since. I have no complaints and other than making it fit me (comfortable), I plan to keep it stock.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:48 AM
bikerdan128
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRKS
I agree anybody who would make that decision BASED ONLY on this form would be ignorant. That said, anybody who would base that decision based on problems is doing their homework. There are far too many motorcycles that have problems especially with the oil migration. I can understand why somebody would not want to spend $20-$30,000 and take a chance of bike is gonna run properly, that's not a chance they should have to take. It may be a small percent, but it's a big enough percent that's should not be acceptable. Ask the unlucky people who's motorcycles have been sitting in the shop 90% of the time since they bought them, see what their opinion is. And yes their opinion does matter. I personally think there's a lot more bikes that have a the migration problem than people realize, many people just don't ride them hard enough to notice it right away. I'm sure Harley will get it figured out, but until they do, I've got time to wait. And I'm not basing that decision just on this thread or forum, it's based on a lot of other research and people I know personally. Actually everybody I know who bought a M8 has this problem. I only know three, but three for three isn't very good in my opinion.
I guess it's luck of the draw. Its probably the same as buying a brand new car or truck. Shouldnt be ANY issues but sometimes there is. 100% of people you know that own them have issues, and 100% of people I know that own them don't. Lol. All I know is, I love mine and would absolutely recommend getting one if you can afford it. Seems like the Moco is doing right by most people.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:01 AM
2016CTRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Who changed the handlebars? Did the wiring get extended?
The dealer changed the bars and there was no need to extend the wiring. Could this be an issue? Thanks.

Quick Reply: M8 problems