M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
2017 Road Glide Special.

Not sure its specifically an M8 problem, but my bike tracks left when I let go of the bars.

Had it in the shop for my 1000 mile service last weekend, and they wound up keeping it all day. Had to pick it up that Sunday.

Anyway, they said the sub frame came misaligned from the factory and claimed they got it aligned. It still pulls, although it seems a little less "harder", but wanted to ride it on multiple surfaces to make sure it wasn't just the road I was on.

I've own a couple metric cruiser, but this is my first Harley. Never had a bike that didn't track straight, but have heard of some people having this occur.

I only worry about it because of premature tire wear. Otherwise I don't do a lot of hands free riding.

Just an FYI for others thinking of buying the M8 or trying to find out if anyone has noticed this.
My 2017 CVO pulls left hard too. This is my 3rd Rushmore bike and neither of the other two had the issue. For now I attributed it to the amp in the left saddle bag so I put 5lb of tools in the right which helped. Now I can remove my hands from the bar if needed for a second or two. Before no way (but it still pulls a bit). I'd be interested to hear exactly what they measured to determine the sub frame came misaligned so I can mention it to my dealer. If you could check and let us know I'd be very grateful.

Last edited by Macrunner; 07-13-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:07 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Ime pulls to left... All twinkies do that. Mine did since new

Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
First of all I am truly sorry you are having problems with your new bike.
They told you your "Sub frame was maligned"? And, they fixed it? This makes me smile because this sounds like something the late actor Professor would have said. He was famous for giving out double talk answers to questions. Again, sorry you are having problems. I hope they have it fixed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJIvBeVKoQA
HA! I remember the Professor. Funny.

It has not been fixed. As I said, as soon as I left the dealership, I noticed it. It seems to be less of a pull, but still pulled. Si I wanted to give it a week or so to see if it was just that particular road I was on.

Still pulling, so I will be calling them this afternoon or tomorrow. Several coworkers have newer bikes, thought mine is the only M* at work, and non of them have any issues with it not tracking straight, so paying that much for a bike, it should be perfect.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:45 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Macrunner
My 2017 CVO pulls left hard too. This is my 3rd Rushmore bike and neither of the other two had the issue. For now I attributed it to the amp in the left saddle bag so I put 5lb of tools in the right which helped. Now I can remove my hands from the bar if needed for a second or two. Before no way (but it still pulls a bit). I'd be interested to hear exactly what they measured to determine the sub frame came misaligned so I can mention it to my dealer. If you could check and let us know I'd be very grateful.
I have nothing in my bags at all. And as far as I know I dont have a 10 lb tumor or anything that would make me heavier on the left side. lol

Yeah that's all they said. Well, they were on and off the phone with I guess Harley corp trying to figure it out all day last Sat. So when they called me Sat evening, they said the finally figured out the sub frame was misaligned when it came from the assembly factory to the dealership and that the aligned it to Harley specs.

Now that I will be taking it back to get it fixed the second time, I will inquire a little more on how this happened or what's done to "fix" the issue.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I have nothing in my bags at all. And as far as I know I dont have a 10 lb tumor or anything that would make me heavier on the left side. lol

Yeah that's all they said. Well, they were on and off the phone with I guess Harley corp trying to figure it out all day last Sat. So when they called me Sat evening, they said the finally figured out the sub frame was misaligned when it came from the assembly factory to the dealership and that the aligned it to Harley specs.

Now that I will be taking it back to get it fixed the second time, I will inquire a little more on how this happened or what's done to "fix" the issue.
Thanks, that would be great. Keep us posted

Old 07-13-2017, 04:17 PM
Uboofer
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Well the shop called with a update on my SGS. It appears that there is a manufacturer defect on the push rod cover that is causing the oil leak. That part is on backorder but the dealer contacted a partner dealer that has the part. Should be in Monday. My guess I won't get my bike back until Tuesday at the earliest. That's 2 week downtime on a new bike. Once again not pleased

Last edited by Uboofer; 07-13-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,263 Posts

My problem is how do I get a MOD to delete all the bull **** from this thread . So that it WILL ONLY have true problems to read about ! Which would make it worthy of being a sticky.
Please and remove this reply with them .

Old 07-13-2017, 05:44 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Macrunner
Thanks, that would be great. Keep us posted
So just got off the phone with the service manager I assume. I told him the bike still pulls left when riding hands off the bars. He said they checked everything on the bike and there was nothing else they could do. Then said all the RGS pull left.

Then said oh well if I call corp and tell them it only pulls left when you take your hands off the handlebars, they will laugh at him and thats not covered under warranty.

He said I could come in a test ride another rgs and I would see it pulls left as well. I told him I would definitely ride another one but at a different dealership.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:06 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Pulling slightly left I can see as normal. But when it pulls hard left it may be the road you're traveling on. A lot of roads are slightly banked to allow rain runoff so it doesn't pool on the road. This may be what you're experiencing when it pulls hard.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:29 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,017 Likes on 3,613 Posts

2017 Road Glide Special.

Not sure its specifically an M8 problem, but my bike tracks left when I let go of the bars.

Had it in the shop for my 1000 mile service last weekend, and they wound up keeping it all day. Had to pick it up that Sunday.

Anyway, they said the sub frame came misaligned from the factory and claimed they got it aligned. It still pulls, although it seems a little less "harder", but wanted to ride it on multiple surfaces to make sure it wasn't just the road I was on.

I've own a couple metric cruiser, but this is my first Harley. Never had a bike that didn't track straight, but have heard of some people having this occur.

I only worry about it because of premature tire wear. Otherwise I don't do a lot of hands free riding.

Just an FYI for others thinking of buying the M8 or trying to find out if anyone has noticed this.
My RK drift's left VERY VERY slightly as well. I'm not gonna bother having the dealer touch it. I'm worried it will lead to a cluster f. If it gets to the point of bothering me I'll us the string method to check rear wheel alignment myself . It's not difficult.

Quick Reply: M8 problems