Drew miz
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check

Old 07-08-2017, 06:51 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

If you put the recommended amount of oil in the crankcase you will probably be alright for a good part of the year. But, if you put in the recommended amount of oil and the summer heat goes up to 85-95 degrees and you ride at 70-75 mph, the oil in the crankcase has no where to expand to except out the air cleaner. Very common in the hot summer. Most guys just suck some out of the fill hole with a turkey baster and go on their way. I run my M8 3 dots down from the top of the dipstick when I check it hot. When the engine is cold and you check it you will find it about 6 dots from the top. Not a big deal by any means, but you should take it into your friendly Harley Davidson service department so they can put your mind to ease. Things like this are not covered in the owner's manual. I am sure others will come in with their opinions as well.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,960 Likes on 4,035 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
If you put the recommended amount of oil in the crankcase you will probably be alright for a good part of the year. But, if you put in the recommended amount of oil and the summer heat goes up to 85-95 degrees and you ride at 70-75 mph, the oil in the crankcase has no where to expand to except out the air cleaner. Very common in the hot summer. Most guys just suck some out of the fill hole with a turkey baster and go on their way. I run my M8 3 dots down from the top of the dipstick when I check it hot. When the engine is cold and you check it you will find it about 6 dots from the top. Not a big deal by any means, but you should take it into your friendly Harley Davidson service department so they can put your mind to ease. Things like this are not covered in the owner's manual. I am sure others will come in with their opinions as well.
???

M8 have a hot and cold level on the dip stick..

Nothing wrong with running it mid level tho..

Old 07-08-2017, 08:56 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
???

M8 have a hot and cold level on the dip stick..

Nothing wrong with running it mid level tho..
Maybe we have different M8 engines.
My dipstick does not have a HOT level and a COLD level on the dipstick.
It does have a Full HOT Jiffy stand chart on the "upper" portion of the stick. The "bottom" chart on the stick is for a Full HOT Vehicle Upright reading.
The service manual does say the "Oil level on a cold engine should never be above the midway point" on the stick.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,960 Likes on 4,035 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Maybe we have different M8 engines.
My dipstick does not have a HOT level and a COLD level on the dipstick.
It does have a Full HOT Jiffy stand chart on the "upper" portion of the stick. The "bottom" chart on the stick is for a Full HOT Vehicle Upright reading.
The service manual does say the "Oil level on a cold engine should never be above the midway point" on the stick.

Yep you are right.. Hot upright and hot sidestand.. I guess the thing is that you shouldn't need to run below the high hot level if the oil level is checked while hot..

Old 07-08-2017, 10:18 PM
CheefASRC
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2017 RKS 1300 miles

weeping oil from rockers. Have an appointment 7/19 to swap out gaskets and rockers. Stay tuned. HD dealer says known issue my bike is number 5

Old 07-09-2017, 09:26 AM
rwales1
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glad I saw this

I looked at getting a new '17 Street Glide Special last year and held off on a first year model, glad I did. Was just looking again as I now have a problem with mine, but after reading some posts on here I'm going to hold off. So glad I found this forum. Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Krieg (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Krieg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because of this thread, I opted to stick with the 103. So glad I did.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Krieg
Because of this thread, I opted to stick with the 103. So glad I did.
103 is a mature engine..they don't run nearly as nice as the 107 but for folks that are jittery about spending thousands and being let down by potential issues then 103 is a solid choice and the money spent on upgrading can be spent on going on more rides..I've had a couple 103's and they provided me with many thousands of trouble free miles and memorable trips so that's what riding is all about at the end of the day..Ride On!

Old 07-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Nuke_Disaster
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This...

this happened today....

Quick Reply: M8 problems