Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 04:59 PM
M8Deeve
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So, My Ultra Limited is in the shop still. They had ordered an oil pressure switch for me and it did not fix the issue. They are diagnosing it still. Looks like I am gonna be without for at least another week.

Not happy about this situation.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:24 PM
BigRed7181
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I wasn't able to get pics of the oil pump as it was all apart when I was there. The tech showed me the little pieces of metal found inside the pump. It sounds like a new pump should be in next week sometime. So about a two week turnaround time

Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I hope I'm not joining you guys but riding my bike yesterday and the oil light came on at idle with 3600 miles on bike. No seem able issues with power took it to the dealer and they told me sorry didn't have an appointment we'll try and fit you in. Hope they fix it quick. Rolling thunder this weekend

Old 05-23-2017, 07:39 PM
M8Deeve
Advanced

Update. Been in the shop since the 12th of may.

No fix as of yet, they are still trying to figure out what is wrong. Apparently they have taken the oil pump out and disassembled it.

Glad I have 2 other bikes I can ride.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 PM
BigRed7181
Tourer

I feel your pain. In the shop since May 11th. Diagnosed the problem and can't get parts.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:21 AM
M8Deeve
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigRed7181
I feel your pain. In the shop since May 11th. Diagnosed the problem and can't get parts.
Just got an update today. They are apparently replacing the oil pump and 3 other parts as per the MoCo.

Most of the parts are black flagged.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Bike started this morning, check engine light. Seemed like the throttle was barely giving the engine any juice. Couldn't get above ~8 mph. Dealership picked it up this afternoon... hopefully not out for long

Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 PM
BigRed7181
Tourer

Update. Talked to the dealer today and my bike is done and ready to go! really looking forward to picking it up and no more problems!

Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Well after 2 weeks at the dealer this time Harley tech support is suppose to call my dealer back in the next few days to schedule a factory rep visit. He'll work along side the dealer mechanic to dig deeper. Geez I wonder if they'll pull the oil pump.
Well it seems my bike is fixed. To recap after almost 8000 miles without issue oil was being pushed into the air breather and ultimately dripping onto the engine. First trip to the dealer they replaced both breather valves. Same problem after 400 miles. Did a leak down check and all was good. Work was put on hold to wait for Harley tech inspector to arrive. That took 2 weeks. Before they opened it up a second time the inspector took it for a test ride. He ran it hard and without letting it idle pulled it back into the shop and shut it down. They pulled a plug on the bottom end see if oil was being scavenged properly after high oil flow. Nope they drained almost 3 cups.

I spoke with the inspector and he showed me the oil pump and it was pristine. He did point out the o-ring on the scavenge side of the pump looked like it may have rolled and cocked during assembly but couldn't say that was the problem. He also said he'd have the tech pull the cylinders and check the piston squirters as on a number of early builds (mine) they were torqued to the low end the of the spec. Mine were found lose.

So was it the o-ring or the lose piston squirters or both? IDK for sure but I'd lean toward the piston squirters. A cocked or rolled o-ring would likely have caused the issue quite some time ago.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:49 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Don't understand why the MoCo would put a standered round o ring on there instead of an x or square ring.
seems to me this is an area where pressure is high enough to justify a more durable application.
On the piston squitrs... I the o ring is rolled, you may be loosing the pressure necessary for oil to reach to the top of the engine.
Not a wrencher here, but sounds logical to me

Quick Reply: M8 problems