Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Thanks for the reply.. I do think the valve covers look a little big compared to the older bikes.. I suspect that a mat black PC will reduce the look a little..
Agreed. However, they didn't just make them huge; they attempted to make them stylish, invoking a touch of knucklehead.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Agreed. However, they didn't just make them huge; they attempted to make them stylish, invoking a touch of knucklehead.
I really like the new engine, The rain sock not so much but there it is.

Attached Thumbnails M8  problems-20161223_072336.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
I really like the new engine, The rain sock not so much but there it is.
100% agree.

When they first came out, I did a little mini-review here. Long story short (for ME), while I really like the new M8, there isn't enough improvement over my 2016 to justify the monetary bath I would take in trading up. If I were still on my 2010, it'd be a no-brainer.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I just want to thank all you guys for the info

I was saved up for a new 2017 bike till I found out they had a new designed engine. I had bad luck with my current bike with 55K miles and on engine #3. Warranty took care of the engines but being without the bike and waiting on it was the pitts. Problems after problems and I do believe...the dealer caused some of this cause they did all the maintenance on the bike...and some was maybe some quality control issues with the engines.
I finally worked all that out and the bike is running good now. No dealer touches my bike anymore... I would not take off cross country on it without another bike with me. Its days are numbers in my garage.

I went to the local dealer at the end of Aug 2016 to look at these new engines and talked to the salesman. Now this is not the dealer I usually purchase from...just the closest dealer(jackasses). The salesman told me...due to EPA fines, if I change the pipes or air filter, warranty expires at that point...WHAT? Not sure it this still holds true...but I cant buy a new bike with no warranty, cause I am gonna change the pipes and probably the air filter. Sounds like this new engine does not need to be tuned to keep from burning your leg off.

I walked out of the dealership and figured let this all settle down some and see if this new engine works out for folks. I do not know anyone who owns one of these new engines, so I am at the mercy of this and other forums.

Good info here. I am afraid to ride one of these new bikes as I would probably have to have it if I did. I know it is miles ahead of my 2012 limited. I also know these problems are few compared to all the 2017 bikes that have been sold...I just got snake bit and really do not need problems with another one.
I am hoping to get to a position to trade every 2 years when the warranty runs out...soon maybe.

Currently waiting on the 2018s to come out so the dust can settle and they work these few issues out. work on saving my money again...

Thanks again for all the information.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:15 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2225 miles and other than my own ignorance, and impatience, no issues.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:58 AM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure where you get the Korean made wheel bearings from but the ones I assemble in wheels were German made.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,961 Likes on 4,035 Posts

HD did have issues with the wheel bearings when they switched to 6205 sealed bearings in 08/09. Still the bearings are not the most waterproof and some of the aftermarket bearing installers can preload the bearings to the point where they fail quickly. Make sure to check them on every tire change..

Any notice that the M9 wheel bearings seem to have a chrome cover over the seal? Later TCs might have had it but it's the first I noticed.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:45 AM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
HD did have issues with the wheel bearings when they switched to 6205 sealed bearings in 08/09. Still the bearings are not the most waterproof and some of the aftermarket bearing installers can preload the bearings to the point where they fail quickly. Make sure to check them on every tire change..

Any notice that the M9 wheel bearings seem to have a chrome cover over the seal? Later TCs might have had it but it's the first I noticed.
Damn they have a m9 now? That was short life for the m8 lol
Just having fun

Old 01-15-2017, 05:37 PM
ricktherocket
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default M8 Update

Originally Posted by ricktherocket
1100 miles and the bike is over heating and going into limp mode, oil pressure unstable. setting in the service bay right now with the whole top end off trying to figure out what all has gone bad. Will keep you all informed on findings.
My buddy is not the happiest customer right now, traded in a paid off 14 limited and went in the hole 20G, now they have his new 17 in pieces.

Originally Posted by SWThomas
He'll have it back soon enough, good as new. That's what warranties are for.

Just got off the phone with my buddy and there will be a new motor installed in his CVO, seems the oil pump and cam plate went south in his 1100 mile bike. New motor is to arrive at the dealership this coming Tuesday.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:36 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by ricktherocket
Just got off the phone with my buddy and there will be a new motor installed in his CVO, seems the oil pump and cam plate went south in his 1100 mile bike. New motor is to arrive at the dealership this coming Tuesday.
That sucks that he'll be without the bike. But it sounds like HD is standing behind their product.

Quick Reply: M8 problems