M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Very well said Steel.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWThomas:
JPGA (09-13-2017), Steel Wheels (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
Not sure how you "hate" a machine; unless it's torturing you. I was all excited about this new M8 until I started reading blogs and looking into it more. To me it looks like Harley just trying to wring more and more out of a 100 year old design V twin engine. Then they advertise it as "smoother" "quieter" etc. and it just seems like HD is losing it's identity and soul. And knowing how it's "corporate nature" to cut corners to increase profit (Korean wheel bearings anyone?) I can only imagine the hidden issues in these new, complex machines.

Using oil to cool exhaust ports is one example of some desperate engineering IMHO. Just my observation. Good luck to all who pay the big bucks to get one and I hope they last forever. Don't think they will but hope they do.
Slow down there bud you are about to wake the anger M8 owners. You didnt know you can not form an opinion about the m8? They are great bikes and maybe not to everyone's liking but i repeat dont form and express an opinion or you will start a bike war lmao

Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Since this thread now only has 320 replies and is not several hundred pages long, looks like Harley did some homework and put out a great new product. Just wish I could currently afford it

Old 01-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,961 Likes on 4,035 Posts

Not sure how you "hate" a machine; unless it's torturing you. I was all excited about this new M8 until I started reading blogs and looking into it more. To me it looks like Harley just trying to wring more and more out of a 100 year old design V twin engine. Then they advertise it as "smoother" "quieter" etc. and it just seems like HD is losing it's identity and soul. And knowing how it's "corporate nature" to cut corners to increase profit (Korean wheel bearings anyone?) I can only imagine the hidden issues in these new, complex machines.

Using oil to cool exhaust ports is one example of some desperate engineering IMHO. Just my observation. Good luck to all who pay the big bucks to get one and I hope they last forever. Don't think they will but hope they do.
Well IMO the M8 is about the same motor noise as an early twin cam say 2007 / earlier.. The TCs I've owned were quieter until I messed em up..

I would say it's only a 80 year old design. The reason for smoother is not because the old ones vibrated, it more because the newer rubber mount with bigger motors bounce around more. They make more power..

With EPA they need to cool the motor.. I hate radiators but sneaking in an oil cooler is OK..

If you look at what HD did, they figured out that the single cam evo idea wasn't that bad other than having to had fit the gears. I like like pretty much every big twin motor they made. It's and old design.. They change too much and I'm back to probably buying something else.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 AM
K_I_W_I
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10,000ks on the 114 sg... MAGIC!
Ride it hard, mostly two up.
Zero issues
Torque for Africa
Time to open up pipes and dyno tune..

Last edited by K_I_W_I; 01-11-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

As an actual mechanical engineer, degreed and licensed, and as an avid motorhead (why I went into mechanical engineering), I can say without hesitation that I think some of the changes made to the M8 are truly ingenious. Not one thing about the new design seems in the slightest as "desperate". You're certainly entitled to your opinion about the new M8, but your opinion about the engineering is just flat incorrect.

The following 8 users liked this post by QNman:
captbob (01-15-2017), HDMIKETN64 (07-05-2017), Highranger (01-23-2017), JPGA (09-13-2017), NightBringer (02-09-2017), SS Twin (04-24-2017), stixvrad (01-17-2017), TwiZted Biker (01-11-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by K_I_W_I
10,000ks on the 114 sg... MAGIC!
Ride it hard, mostly two up.
Zero issues
Torque for Africa
Time to open up pipes and dyno tune..
Welcome to the forums!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by QNman
As an actual mechanical engineer, degreed and licensed, and as an avid motorhead (why I went into mechanical engineering), I can say without hesitation that I think some of the changes made to the M8 are truly ingenious. Not one thing about the new design seems in the slightest as "desperate". You're certainly entitled to your opinion about the new M8, but your opinion about the engineering is just flat incorrect.

I'd be real interested to hear what impressed you on this bike. While I think the fork damping design is really cool / innovative and the 4 valve head with 2 plugs helps with meeting emissions plus providing the opportunity from more performance, the rest is pretty much a simple progression to improve the product. Things like oil cooled heads and a single counter rotating balancer have been used on other bikes with success.

Since Showa likely did the fork design, I wonder if the damping setup will be carried over to Honda of if they are not already using this stuff. I'd bet the implementation has been patented. I guess it would be interesting to see who owns the patent.

Single cam made more sense to me and I wondered why HD went to 2 on the TC.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I'd be real interested to hear what impressed you on this bike. While I think the fork damping design is really cool / innovative and the 4 valve head with 2 plugs helps with meeting emissions plus providing the opportunity from more performance, the rest is pretty much a simple progression to improve the product. Things like oil cooled heads and a single counter rotating balancer have been used on other bikes with success.

Since Showa likely did the fork design, I wonder if the damping setup will be carried over to Honda of if they are not already using this stuff. I'd bet the implementation has been patented. I guess it would be interesting to see who owns the patent.

Single cam made more sense to me and I wondered why HD went to 2 on the TC.
Frankly, the ability to get a 107-inch motor that is air-cooled to both make better horsepower and torque while meeting EPA emissions requirements is a feat unto itself.

Also, I love the four valve, pushrod design with hydraulic lifter and a forked rocker idea. While not "earth-shattering", it maintains the nostalgic look and feel of an old Harley V-twin while incorporating a maintenance-free 4-valve design.

Finally, just the ability to make a modern engine continue to operate on 100-year old design that produces more power, more torque, less emissions, and can still be the giant jewel on a motorcycle that prides itself on their timeless and traditional lines is quite a feat, IMHO.

ETA: For several years now, I've been sure - positive, almost - that HD was going to have to move to water-cooled to manage the EPA. When the wet-head designs came out, I was even more sure this was the transition step - that the next HD motor was positively, for sure going to have water cooling.

But it didn't. I was impressed.

Last edited by QNman; 01-11-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by QNman
Frankly, the ability to get a 107-inch motor that is air-cooled to both make better horsepower and torque while meeting EPA emissions requirements is a feat unto itself.

Also, I love the four valve, pushrod design with hydraulic lifter and a forked rocker idea. While not "earth-shattering", it maintains the nostalgic look and feel of an old Harley V-twin while incorporating a maintenance-free 4-valve design.

Finally, just the ability to make a modern engine continue to operate on 100-year old design that produces more power, more torque, less emissions, and can still be the giant jewel on a motorcycle that prides itself on their timeless and traditional lines is quite a feat, IMHO.
Thanks for the reply.. I do think the valve covers look a little big compared to the older bikes.. I suspect that a mat black PC will reduce the look a little..

Quick Reply: M8 problems