Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 03:39 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by ricktherocket
1100 miles and the bike is over heating and going into limp mode, oil pressure unstable. setting in the service bay right now with the whole top end off trying to figure out what all has gone bad. Will keep you all informed on findings.
My buddy is not the happiest customer right now, traded in a paid off 14 limited and went in the hole 20G, now they have his new 17 in pieces.
So this is your buddies bike or yours? Sorry to hear about your exception to the rule issue. Hope they get it worked out.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:30 PM
ricktherocket
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
So this is your buddies bike or yours? Sorry to hear about your exception to the rule issue. Hope they get it worked out.

The bike belongs to a good friend of mine.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ricktherocket
The bike belongs to a good friend of mine.
He'll have it back soon enough, good as new. That's what warranties are for.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Maybe someone could explain this to me. I've been watching this thread from the start and wondering why some are getting so upset over the possibility of others having problems with their new bike. I think it's great that someone who has bought a new bike and is having problems with it, is willing to shallow their pride and let other people know it. Other people would keep quiet, or worse not be so straight and play it down, like it's no big deal hoping to do away with the embarrassment.
Jonnierock

Old 01-08-2017, 12:01 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

I'm not upset. It just irks me that people who don't have an M8 try to make it sound like there's a systemic problem with them. A few people have had issues and those issues have been addressed and fixed. But I guess it's that whole haters gonna hate thing.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,961 Likes on 4,035 Posts

I'm not upset. It just irks me that people who don't have an M8 try to make it sound like there's a systemic problem with them. A few people have had issues and those issues have been addressed and fixed. But I guess it's that whole haters gonna hate thing.
Yeah.. It's almost as bad as the Newb M8 owner that ridicules the old time rider for finding an issue he don't like.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:08 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Yeah.. It's almost as bad as the Newb M8 owner that ridicules the old time rider for finding an issue he don't like.
The nice thing about this forum it is public and pretty much unfiltered. I always read with a grain of salt. I know of zero issues on the M8 (personally) talking to friends who have upgraded (many now - at least 7 of them) and techs I know. The only issue was a stage 3 upgrade that the dealer screwed up. They fixed good as new within the week and still have a happy customer. I am sure there are some issues out there, but nothing I have seen yet. I also loved my old bike just as much, so would never ever say anything bad about her. But I freaking love my new bike.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Love in?

haters gonna hate.

Not sure how you "hate" a machine; unless it's torturing you. I was all excited about this new M8 until I started reading blogs and looking into it more. To me it looks like Harley just trying to wring more and more out of a 100 year old design V twin engine. Then they advertise it as "smoother" "quieter" etc. and it just seems like HD is losing it's identity and soul. And knowing how it's "corporate nature" to cut corners to increase profit (Korean wheel bearings anyone?) I can only imagine the hidden issues in these new, complex machines.

Using oil to cool exhaust ports is one example of some desperate engineering IMHO. Just my observation. Good luck to all who pay the big bucks to get one and I hope they last forever. Don't think they will but hope they do.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:59 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tactical111
Not sure how you "hate" a machine; unless it's torturing you. I was all excited about this new M8 until I started reading blogs and looking into it more. To me it looks like Harley just trying to wring more and more out of a 100 year old design V twin engine. Then they advertise it as "smoother" "quieter" etc. and it just seems like HD is losing it's identity and soul. And knowing how it's "corporate nature" to cut corners to increase profit (Korean wheel bearings anyone?) I can only imagine the hidden issues in these new, complex machines.

Using oil to cool exhaust ports is one example of some desperate engineering IMHO. Just my observation. Good luck to all who pay the big bucks to get one and I hope they last forever. Don't think they will but hope they do.
No worries. I love mine. Enjoy whatever it is you ride. I'm damn sure enjoying my problem free, powerful, excellent running machine.

The following users liked this post:
SS Twin (04-24-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111

So you're against product improvement? And your opinions are formed by reading blogs and forums?

Sounds like you're upset because the moco continues to evolve a staid and solid design that, frankly, has dominated the market for a hundred years BECAUSE of that - NOT in spite of it.

'Desperate' engineering?? More like commendable. As these motors have grown from 74 cu. in. to something almost twice as large, steps need taken to address temps and their management. Cooling valves is nothing new, so what makes that something to be singled out?

Trying to wring more out of a 100 year old design is precisely what keeps most of us happy and busy in our stand down periods. And frankly if HD got away from this 'dinosaur', would you be first in line to buy again? I think not.

Complex machines? Nonsense. These are still one of the most user friendly bikes in the world, and there's very little that even a weekender couldn't handle with a shop manual and the proper tools. The most complex system on them is fuel injection, and I consider that a Godsend compared to what we used to fight...

The following users liked this post:
SS Twin (04-24-2017)

Quick Reply: M8 problems