Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrohio
Agree I bought my 2017 Road Glide Ultra and have never been happier with any bike. And like you said I got an extended warranty if any issues arise.
Interesting, I never got the extended warranty before. Always thought it was a ripoff. Then I thought you know over 7 years (2 + the extra five I purchased) it is going to cost me a little over $200 per year for piece of mind. So I bought it. I know two guys that work at the dealer who also bought the extended warranty. But they had no worries about the new motor and they lived through the shitty quality years. They have always purchased the extended warranty. But thus far no issues. Bike is a hell of a lot of fun.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

I've only bought an ESP once, right before the factory 2 years was up..never used it in the first year and got the prorated $ back when I upgraded..I have always waited until the factory warranty is set to expire..never financed a bike so it was too hard to justify tacking on the extra $ upfront..we'll see how the M8 works out and decide then, life is too dynamic with change to 'plan' 7 years in advance and the money is more useful in the moment..but for some doing it right away it makes sense as it costs less, they can add to the financing, they are pretty sure they'll keep it for a long time, get all the ESP benefits right off the bat, etc

Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I've only bought an ESP once, right before the factory 2 years was up..never used it in the first year and got the prorated $ back when I upgraded..I have always waited until the factory warranty is set to expire..never financed a bike so it was too hard to justify tacking on the extra $ upfront..we'll see how the M8 works out and decide then, life is too dynamic with change to 'plan' 7 years in advance and the money is more useful in the moment..but for some doing it right away it makes sense as it costs less, they can add to the financing, they are pretty sure they'll keep it for a long time, get all the ESP benefits right off the bat, etc
I know my wife hopes I keep it for seven years. Had my last Harley 2 years, said I would never get rid of it..... Did I mention the M8 is freaking awesome?

The following 2 users liked this post by riknbeth:
isellem (12-07-2016), mjwebb (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 07:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
I know my wife hopes I keep it for seven years. Had my last Harley 2 years, said I would never get rid of it..... Did I mention the M8 is freaking awesome?
sounds like me, "this is definitely the last one"...ROFLMAO..my wife is as bad as me..she's on her 3rd new Harley in 6 years..and yes, the M8 is by far the nicest bike I've ever ridden or owned and not really even close!

Old 12-04-2016, 07:40 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

know them all very well, lived in Oregon my whole like and the Pacific NW rocks! amazing riding country for sure
Gotta agree. Can't wait to bring the new Cadillac V series I just bought to replace the Stingray up there.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Make a wish?

Originally Posted by Spurrs
Well go post over in the dinosaur section then - geez!

Why do people who don't own something so eager to pile on people that do? I don't get it . . .

I've had an 80 Shovel, an 03, 05 and 11 Twin Cam - of all of them, only the 03 was worth a damn. BUT - I don't wish you ill and post up that I wish your bike will self destruct at any point.

Have a nice day!

Not wishing anybody anything. Just making an observation and a prediction based on some of the problem posts on here plus the basic design of this new motor. Hope I'm wrong; maybe not.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,095 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
Not wishing anybody anything. Just making an observation and a prediction based on some of the problem posts on here plus the basic design of this new motor. Hope I'm wrong; maybe not.
Please enlighten us on the design flaws of this engine.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:21 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
,,,,,,,, Then I thought you know over 7 years (2 + the extra five I purchased) it is going to cost me a little over $200 per year for piece of mind. ,,,,,,,,
Logical thinking bro. These EP's are insurance. As with any insurance, you're paying an insurance premium. This is simple risk transference, same as you buy for your house, and not a bad idea, even when you don't have a claim.

So many guys, when this topic is raised, get off on some weird maintenance tangent, raving on about DIY maintenance,, etc.. This is a complete non sequitur. EP covers the unlikely but not impossible eventuality of your engine blowing up after 2 years service. It has nothing to do with oil changes etc..

Last edited by HKMark23; 12-08-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:03 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Please enlighten us on the design flaws of this engine.
No kickstarter .................. .................

The following users liked this post:
Croxy (12-12-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

sounds like me, "this is definitely the last one"...ROFLMAO..my wife is as bad as me..she's on her 3rd new Harley in 6 years..and yes, the M8 is by far the nicest bike I've ever ridden or owned and not really even close!
Wow. I don't feel so bad now about my record. 5 'last bikes' in the last 3yrs.

Seriously - this IS my last one...

Quick Reply: M8 problems