Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts
Old 01-22-2021, 04:26 AM
markhersh
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M8 engine "sumped"

Im considering buying a used 2019 Harley with an M8 engine. Im pretty sure this bike was returned to the dealership due to dissatisfaction of the owner because it stopped running due to "sumping". I think what Ive been reading is there is now a fix for this problem with a new vent tube, but my questions are,
1. do you think damage was done to the engine when this sumping made the engine stop (happened several times)
2. is there a recall from HD to get this problem fixed

thank you in advance to all you experienced HD riders

Mark H.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:16 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by markhersh
Im considering buying a used 2019 Harley with an M8 engine. Im pretty sure this bike was returned to the dealership due to dissatisfaction of the owner because it stopped running due to "sumping". I think what Ive been reading is there is now a fix for this problem with a new vent tube, but my questions are,
1. do you think damage was done to the engine when this sumping made the engine stop (happened several times)

Mark H.
why in the World would you even consider buying a used bike that you believe has engine problems? look elsewhere if you have evidence of that

no the vent isn't a cure for sumping, it's for trans fluid transferring to primary... and no there has never been a recall for either of these known problems

Old 01-22-2021, 05:57 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Mark H.
How are you "pretty sure" that this bike sumped. Did the dealer tell you that? If so, then perhaps you could pick this up for short $ and put the savings into performance mods with new oil pump. Personally, I would stay away from anything that "I knew" had sumped, which BTW, is a rare occurrence. Unless of course, I could get it dirt cheap and use it as a donor bike for a complete bottom up radical performance build. Which would mean that anything having been possibly affected by a sump overheat condition would end up on my scrap pile.

The following users liked this post:
SoCalHDMC (01-28-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 06:39 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

Mark H.
If you are serious then ask to see the service records, they are available if you request them. If you think that the vent cured the sumping issue then you best stop and educated yourself. We all feel that we have to buy it now or no better deal will come along, don't let a deal cloud your judgement.

DeeRoe (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:52 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Mark H.
Replace oil pump to 2020 and no more sumping. Cant comment if any damage to the engine occurred without seeing/riding the bike. Keep in mind 2019 models heve 3rd generation oil pumps which were not as prone to sumping as 2017-18 pumps from what I know. I have 2019 Softail no issues but I would definitely avoid 2017-18 touring models for sure. If bike you want to buy was manufactured after may 2019 you probably have 2020 model pump already. Maybe you can factor pump replacement as discount to the bike before purchase.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:57 AM
markdavidson
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Replace oil pump to 2020 and no more sumping. Cant comment if any damage to the engine occurred without seeing/riding the bike. Keep in mind 2019 models heve 3rd generation oil pumps which were not as prone to sumping as 2017-18 pumps from what I know. I have 2019 Softail no issues but I would definitely avoid 2017-18 touring models for sure. If bike you want to buy was manufactured after may 2019 you probably have 2020 model pump already. Maybe you can factor pump replacement as discount to the bike before purchase.
I'll toss my two pennies in here,
I just popped a cam in my 19 King (build date: 08/18)
never had any issues, but I replaced the oil pump with a 2020 8-Lobe
the OEM was a 3rd gen ( 10-Lobe with oil seal)

Old 01-28-2021, 01:23 PM
Jeff1759
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sold on the idea of putting the HD '20 oil pump (62400247) in my 2017 SSG. Already have had the 62400178 pump done in Nov 2018. Pricing labor costs and the Fueling oil pump was suggested.
I have a Red Shift 468 cam and Slim Line Duals/4" Rineharts, tuned.
Fueling set up is $799.
Can anyone offer up advise on why one might want to go with the much more expensive Fueling over the $150 HD pump?

edit to say - I don't plan on winning any races and am not really hot on the throttle, just looking for the piece of mind that my bike won't sump.

Last edited by Jeff1759; 01-28-2021 at 01:43 PM.
92evo (03-01-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 03:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff1759
Sold on the idea of putting the HD '20 oil pump (62400247) in my 2017 SSG. Already have had the 62400178 pump done in Nov 2018. Pricing labor costs and the Fueling oil pump was suggested.
I have a Red Shift 468 cam and Slim Line Duals/4" Rineharts, tuned.
Fueling set up is $799.
Can anyone offer up advise on why one might want to go with the much more expensive Fueling over the $150 HD pump?

edit to say - I don't plan on winning any races and am not really hot on the throttle, just looking for the piece of mind that my bike won't sump.
because they might really really be into supporting small business over large corporations....but seriously, this is one example where 'settling' for the HD part makes sense because of its track record and low cost..I think most will agree

Jeff1759 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

If I would ever consider stage 3 I would upgrade to cam-plate and fueling or S&S pump but for stage 2 I dont feel throwing extra 500$ is needed. It is proven that 2020 pump is good unit and helps with issues of sumping which is main reason we upgrade it.

From what I researched one good advantage of fueling and ss units is that they create a lot of flow which in turn help with way better cooling in the process. Some said temp drops up to 20 degrees which I consider a lot due to more laminar flows due to high quality manufacturing tolerances comparing to stock castings which needless to say is more $$$ efficient for MoCo. This temp drop would be one and only reason I would even think to do this upgrade at stage 2 but is it worth it 500$ extra to have a bit cooler engine - not sure about that part.

If bike is tuned properly and use good oil (Amsoil for me lowered temps 10deg before) I think this motor will be really happy.

I am not an expert of any kind but this is what I found out while watching few videos on YT - mainly Baxter garage dude. He is smart and make a lot of sense.

Quick Reply: M8 problems