Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 11:45 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

My first 2 bikes, a 2010 SG and a 2014 SGS, I had D&D/Drago pipes and installed them myself. Both were tuned by Doc Harley with a TTS, and they ran great. I also did all of my own oil changes on those bikes.

On my 19 Ultra Limited, I decided that I wouldn't risk it, so I bought the 7-year ESP, including the wheel & tire package, and now have everything done at the dealer, even oil changes. I put about 15k miles a year and do a lot of long-distance riding, and just decided that peace of mind is worth the extra expense for me. Besides, the new 114 runs stronger stock than my previous 96 and 103 did after their stage ones were done. I did have a stage one done on my 19, but had my local dealer do it with the HD tuner, SE air kit, and S&S MK45 slip-ons.

I'm happy with the performance and I don't have to sweat getting rejected for warranty work. If something ever goes south, I can hand HD the receipts and point right back at the dealer.

With that said, 19,000 miles now, zero problems. I may curse myself by saying this, but I must be one of the lucky ones.

The following users liked this post:
TDSnowSPR (03-13-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 09:21 AM
fishinfather
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by jpalm
On my 19 Ultra Limited, I decided that I wouldn't risk it, so I bought the 7-year ESP, including the wheel & tire package, and now have everything done at the dealer, even oil changes. I put about 15k miles a year and do a lot of long-distance riding, and just decided that peace of mind is worth the extra expense for me. Besides, the new 114 runs stronger stock than my previous 96 and 103 did after their stage ones were done. I did have a stage one done on my 19, but had my local dealer do it with the HD tuner, SE air kit, and S&S MK45 slip-ons.
If you don't mind my asking, what did the 7-year ESP with tire and wheel set you back? I'm thinking of moving up the the Ultra Limited M8 and that peace of mind is a consideration. I don't put as many miles a year on as you do, but 8-10k a year may make it worth it.
Thanks

edit: Sorry, I stopped being lazy and googled it... I thought the ESP included service but seems to be just an extended warranty. I was hoping it covered routine maintenance (aka Service) like oil changes and brakes...

Last edited by fishinfather; 03-05-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Stopper being lazy...
Old 03-05-2020, 11:29 AM
jpalm
Road Captain

I don't have the papers right in front of me, but I think it was about $2,600 for everything. Already had to use it for a tire and it was a good experience.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:32 AM
jpalm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fishinfather
edit: Sorry, I stopped being lazy and googled it... I thought the ESP included service but seems to be just an extended warranty. I was hoping it covered routine maintenance (aka Service) like oil changes and brakes...
My local dealer has a 3-year service plan for $1,995. Unlimited services and 15% off everything in the store, plus a few other little extras I can't recall at the moment. I put about 16-17k miles on it per year, so I'll be getting that next week. It's definitely worth it for me.

Last edited by jpalm; 03-05-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:58 AM
Chief911
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise

Just bought a 2020 Ultra limited, super nice bike..but. When I came home and it was idling it was making what sounds like a muffled alarm sound, I shut it off and the sound continued for about a minute. Took to the HD dealer where I got it. After a couple days they called back and the mech said that this is normal!! I'm like are you kidding. Its super loud and I'm hard of hearing and I had a helmet on! Anyone else have the noise issue or heard of any?
Thanks

Old 04-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Same reply as to your other post on this topic. Post up a video.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:02 PM
cvosjoe
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief911
Just bought a 2020 Ultra limited, super nice bike..but. When I came home and it was idling it was making what sounds like a muffled alarm sound, I shut it off and the sound continued for about a minute. Took to the HD dealer where I got it. After a couple days they called back and the mech said that this is normal!! I'm like are you kidding. Its super loud and I'm hard of hearing and I had a helmet on! Anyone else have the noise issue or heard of any?
Thanks
Could be a noisy cooling fan. They'll run a bit after the bike has been shut off.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 PM
CluelessGeek
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

But not Shovelheads. LOL

Old 04-22-2020, 05:31 PM
bdgladish
Novice
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Strange buzzing sound

I have a 2020 Road King with a 107 that I bought 3 months ago. Ever since new, when the bike gets warmed up, there is a buzzing sound that sounds like it is coming from the cam chest area. I only hear the noise when still at a red light or at idle. If I let the bike start to pull, the buzzing seems to stop. I took the bike in today for the 1K mike service and asked the tech to look at it. After a few hours and a long test ride, they came back with the answer that they had never heard this before and wants to contact Harley. Said the bike ran strong, and no metal flakes in the fluids. I wanted to see if anyone has had this issue. Here is a link to the video of the buzzing sound.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

First thing I would do is to remove this timing cover and check torque on all these bolts. If no luck stethoscope.

Quick Reply: M8 problems