Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 12:45 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,211 Likes on 3,427 Posts

Originally Posted by rvd9431
If you plugged in a tuner and changed the tune then actually yes they could. Part of the ignition system.
Not only "could". According to the terms of the Consent Decree between the EPA and H-D which was signed into law in July/17 Harley MUST deny powertrain warranty claims if it can be determined that any '17-later motorcycle was tuned with a non-compliant tuner. And that means any tuner other than the Screamin' Eagle one. Below is an excerpt from the Consent Decree.
(Defendants in this case means the MOCO).

Old 02-16-2020, 12:57 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

How about now Yukon42? Do you still believe your warranty is intact because someone at the dealer told you? They just tell you what you want to hear because they want your money so you wont install **** yourself that you could easily do over the weekend drinking beer but overpay at dealership. This is reality these days. Hope nothing go wrong on your ride anytime soon. Looks like 90 years old lady advice was sound - trust NO ONE ☝🏿

Old 02-16-2020, 01:14 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon42
Contrary to what some people believe, HD does not make the law. Apparently there are a lot of people out there that do not have the intelligence to comprehend what they read. I stand by my statement that merely installing an aftermarket part cannot void a warranty UNLESS it can be proven the subject part CAUSED the failure/problem. I don’t care what your dealer tells you (we all know they certainly wouldn’t lie/mislead anyone). Example: During the warrantee period I install a fuel moto header pipe on my bike and afterward my rectifier burns out. Assuming the rectifier is normally a warrantee item, HD would have to prove that the installation of the header pipe caused the failure in order to legally decline my claim.
You may have been right a few years back. The EPA put a foot up HD's ***. They have no option but to comply.This is a EPA issue and the MF has nothing to say about it. The EPA is the first and final answer on it. It is not HD's doing.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:22 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,471 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
You may have been right a few years back. The EPA put a foot up HD's ***. They have no option but to comply.This is a EPA issue and the MF has nothing to say about it. The EPA is the first and final answer on it. It is not HD's doing.
To those who extol the virtues of Magnuson Moss: try reading it. It says that the manufacturer cannot deny warranty just because you used aftermarket parts or oils or filters or such, SO LONG AS those aftermarket parts meet the same standards as the manufacturer's own stuff.

What it does NOT say is "you can put any aftermarket parts on, and the bike manufacturer must always still warranty the bike."

Here is where it gets critical: if you are in California and you put on a part like, say, an aftermarket header that clearly says it is NOT legal for sale or use in California, then the bike manufacturer will in no way be expected by any court in the land to provide warranty coverage on a bike that is illegal to use on the roads! Harley's warranty states that explicitly.

​​​​​​

Last edited by FatBob2018; 02-16-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:30 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
To those who extol the virtues of Magnuson Moss: try reading it. It says that the manufacturer cannot deny warranty just because you used aftermarket parts or oils or filters or such, SO LONG AS those aftermarket parts meet the same standards as the manufacturer's own stuff.

What it does NOT say is "you can put any aftermarket parts on, and the bike manufacturer must always still warranty the bike."

Here is where it gets critical: if you are in California and you put on a part like, say, an aftermarket header that clearly says it is NOT legal for sale or use in California, then the bike manufacturer will in no way be expected by any court in the land to provide warranty coverage on a bike that is illegal to use on the roads! Harley's warranty states that explicitly.

​​​​​​
That is how I also understand this. Makes perfect sense.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:33 PM
Biff Buttrammer
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmarkom3
Avalanche installed first stage 3. Pikes peak repaired it and their piston repair failed, Now are possibly blaming Avalanche. Difficult situation
avalanche hd is full of incompetent service personnel ... I know ... I work there

Old 02-20-2020, 08:44 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,211 Likes on 3,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff Buttrammer
avalanche hd is full of incompetent service personnel ... I know ... I work there
Would your cool username be a clue as to what you do there?

The following users liked this post:
Biff Buttrammer (02-25-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 04:38 AM
18deluxerider
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

You are both right. It comes down to dealer to dealer issue. and yes hd can be involved. My dealer sold me a tts tuner and tuned my bike. stand behind the warranty. But the new ownership may make that an issue. I believe that unless you have a lawyer with you they will *uck you. My local hd dealer just announced they now service metric cruisers.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:02 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by 18deluxerider
You are both right. It comes down to dealer to dealer issue. and yes hd can be involved. My dealer sold me a tts tuner and tuned my bike. stand behind the warranty. But the new ownership may make that an issue. I believe that unless you have a lawyer with you they will *uck you. My local hd dealer just announced they now service metric cruisers.
if you used an aftermarket tuner then they will bend you and your lawyer over together and go in dry....even Perry Mason would come away sore as Hell

Old 02-25-2020, 01:43 PM
Biff Buttrammer
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Really, group I ride with out last spring had his M8 on the back of a flat bed after 50 miles and just after his 1000 mile service.As much M8 owners hate to acknowledge this, The M8 ain’t as good as it should be and Harley’s got a real problem on their hands and are struggling with a fix 3 oil pump designs in.Wiz
I love puppies.

Last edited by Sarah93003; 02-26-2020 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Troll

Quick Reply: M8 problems