Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 11:10 AM
rvd9431
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
Congrats on finding a nice low mile heritage and welcome to HD. The heritage will inspire you to ride esp with the new frame and the M8 107. My first Harley was a 2015 Heritage, it had the twin shock swing arm and the 103 T.C but it inspired me to get it out every chance I had. Don't forget that there are thousands of M8 owners out there riding and having fun, forums are the place to report problems so take it all with a grain of salt. I'm not saying I did not have issues, any I did have were resolved without question from my dealer and from HD. Example, After I took delivery on my Hard candy custom color 2017 I discovered a small area under the tank where a drip of paint had hardened and had broken off. My dealer notified HD and they issued me a new 1400.00 fuel tank, not counting labor to swap it out all under warranty.
Experience with my first M8 was 21,000 miles on a 2017 FLHXS, loved it. I have moved on to 2019 FLHXS with 114 and I smile every time I ride it.
Yep I realize that and mostly why I still bought anyway. I rode my buddys 09 88ci heritage and it just was so smooth. Vance and hines pro pipes gave me the sound I liked. Still debating if I want to keep the stock pipes look and go with slip ons, or go for the performance of a 2-1. After my warranty expires of course.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:06 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by rvd9431
Yep I realize that and mostly why I still bought anyway. I rode my buddys 09 88ci heritage and it just was so smooth. Vance and hines pro pipes gave me the sound I liked. Still debating if I want to keep the stock pipes look and go with slip ons, or go for the performance of a 2-1. After my warranty expires of course.
I apologize to all for kinda going off topic. Funny, I put the V&H pro pipe on my heritage.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:44 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rvd9431
Also, yes you will void your warranty. No matter what a dealer tells you if they call your bike into HD for approval and you have a non-EPA compliant part your warranty is trashed. Tuner, slip ons, air cleaner, any one your voided. Everything you do needs to be done at the dealer with their purchased parts.
That's BS, warranty cannot legally be voided due to use of after market part(s) unless said part can be proved it caused the failure/problem. You cannot be legally forced to purchase HD parts or have your work done exclusively at HD shops under threat of voiding warranty. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The following users liked this post:
Wormjello (04-28-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:06 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon42
That's BS, warranty cannot legally be voided due to use of after market part(s) unless said part can be proved it caused the failure/problem. You cannot be legally forced to purchase HD parts or have your work done exclusively at HD shops under threat of voiding warranty. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is for doing job yourself use of aftermarket parts is different story.

Bring your bike to dealer after it brake and see what happen if you have real problem that repair cost 5k - then suddenly everything you put non OEM will be suddenly become excuse to charge you for repair not moco. I hope you wont have to find out.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Nope, It’s stated on the 17 and later bikes owners manual that any non EPA approved power train add-on will make said engine warranty null and void.

Dealerships can make their own sweetheart deals, but when they have to involve mothership HD as a part of the warranty / repair process ya done.

HD ain’t forcing you to do anything, But if you modify the bike beyond what they sold it to you as ya done also.

Page 199 of the Harley 2017 Owners manual

Subheading:
Other limitations

Good luck with this olde chestnut,

Wiz Out 🍻

The following users liked this post:
rvd9431 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:00 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Nope, It’s stated on the 17 and later bikes owners manual that any non EPA approved power train add-on will make said engine warranty null and void.

Dealerships can make their own sweetheart deals, but when they have to involve mothership HD as a part of the warranty / repair process ya done.

HD ain’t forcing you to do anything, But if you modify the bike beyond what they sold it to you as ya done also.

Page 199 of the Harley 2017 Owners manual

Subheading:
Other limitations

Good luck with this olde chestnut,

Wiz Out 🍻
Contrary to what some people believe, HD does not make the law. Apparently there are a lot of people out there that do not have the intelligence to comprehend what they read. I stand by my statement that merely installing an aftermarket part cannot void a warranty UNLESS it can be proven the subject part CAUSED the failure/problem. I don’t care what your dealer tells you (we all know they certainly wouldn’t lie/mislead anyone). Example: During the warrantee period I install a fuel moto header pipe on my bike and afterward my rectifier burns out. Assuming the rectifier is normally a warrantee item, HD would have to prove that the installation of the header pipe caused the failure in order to legally decline my claim.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:16 AM
rvd9431
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Contrary to what some people believe, HD does not make the law. Apparently there are a lot of people out there that do not have the intelligence to comprehend what they read. I stand by my statement that merely installing an aftermarket part cannot void a warranty UNLESS it can be proven the subject part CAUSED the failure/problem. I don’t care what your dealer tells you (we all know they certainly wouldn’t lie/mislead anyone). Example: During the warrantee period I install a fuel moto header pipe on my bike and afterward my rectifier burns out. Assuming the rectifier is normally a warrantee item, HD would have to prove that the installation of the header pipe caused the failure in order to legally decline my claim.
If you plugged in a tuner and changed the tune then actually yes they could. Part of the ignition system.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

No reason to insult anyone intelligence.

“UNLESS it can be proven the subject part CAUSED the failure/problem” well good luck with that as if I was the dealer I will ask you to prove to me that part you used DID NOT CAUSED the failure/problem before I will lift the wrench. How about that?

While I agree that MoCo dont make laws they make rules about their products and there is not much you can do about that. When you buy your bike you enter the agreement and sign at the dotted line didnt you?

Unless what is above your signature is contradictory to law yes I agree you can fight and win but if there is no law pertaining to rules that they put on piece of paper (that prohibit manufacturer put restriction on warrantybased on components you use) well good luck.

Wanna fight the MoCo in court go ahead. Hope you have deeper pockets then corporations.

Last edited by Burbur2; 02-16-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Good luck with that argument over the counter when trying to get an HD warranty claim approved.

Dealerships now have to take pictures of any bike with a major warranty claim in addition to hooking up the bike to Digitech to identify any unauthorized ECU modifications. In the current warranty climate, if a picture of that aftermarket non-epa approved head pipe is captured and linked to your bike, the drivetrain warranty on that bike will ABSOLUTELY be voided for the balance of the factory warranty coverage. No cause/effect relationship will be needed. And if you have a Harley ESP and your factory drivetrain coverage is voided, the drivetrain coverage under your HD ESP will also be immediately voided for the entire term of the ESP.

That is the warranty world we are in and suggesting otherwise is ignoring the facts on the ground. You may want to spend thousands on attorney fees to fight those facts but you will lose... guaranteed.

Last edited by Heatwave; 02-16-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:26 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Good luck with that argument over the counter when trying to get an HD warranty claim approved.

Dealerships now have to take pictures of any bike with a major warranty claim in addition to hooking up the bike to Digitech to identify any unauthorized ECU modifications. In the current warranty climate, if a picture of that aftermarket non-epa approved head pipe is captured and linked to your bike, the drivetrain warranty on that bike will ABSOLUTELY be voided for the balance of the factory warranty coverage. No cause/effect relationship will be needed. And if you have a Harley ESP and your factory drivetrain coverage is voided, the drivetrain coverage under your HD ESP will also be immediately voided for the entire term of the ESP.

That is the warranty world we are in and suggesting otherwise is ignoring the facts on the ground. You may want to spend thousands on attorney fees to fight those facts but you will lose... guaranteed.
I think someone here not only had the original new bike warranty void, But the extended one they had purchased as well.

You should have seen all the bullshit I had to go through for a defective desk battery, They **** you around that much you just say F it and I got a new Yuasa on Amazon.

Starts like she should 👌.

Wiz 🍻

Quick Reply: M8 problems