Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 07:15 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
my 2020 RGS with 3500 miles has been flawless...I think if you consider with Four MY maturity behind them, naturally they have addressed most of the growing pain issues...primary vent, oil pumps, clutch switch, clutch recall, oil cooler hose clamp, head gaskets, hopefully wheel bearings but not holding my breath...probably missed a thing or two but imo it's the best time yet to be a new Harley owner
I wish someone will have knowledge and post here when exactly these issues were addressed for each element so someone else owning or buying M8 can know what to pay attention on the bike they got so proper upgrades could be done to allow enjoy the toy for long time. I know it is tall order but maybe someone knows. I will share what I know on pump maybe we get lucky here 🍀

- primary vent fixed on .....
- oil pumps, fixed after production date of May 2019
- clutch switch fixed on ....
- clutch recall fixed on ....
- oil cooler hose clamp fixed on ...
- head gaskets fixed on ....
- wheel bearings not fixed so far 😀☝️

Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
I wish someone will have knowledge and post here when exactly these issues were addressed for each element so someone else owning or buying M8 can know what to pay attention on the bike they got so proper upgrades could be done to allow enjoy the toy for long time. I know it is tall order but maybe someone knows. I will share what I know on pump maybe we get lucky here 🍀

- primary vent fixed on .....
- oil pumps, fixed after production date of May 2019
- clutch switch fixed on ....
- clutch recall fixed on ....
- oil cooler hose clamp fixed on ...
- head gaskets fixed on ....
- wheel bearings not fixed so far 😀☝️
Thanks for posting this....
I have not been paying any attention.. I have a 17 RGS and a 18 Heritage 114... My Roadie has 18k on it and no issues to date... The Heritage slobers oil out the air cleaner and has 2400 on it.. Now I've become a little nervous. Praying that this is like the cam bearing issue on my 99 Wide Glide that I recently sold with 40k on the clock and never did anything to.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Afishinado
Thanks for posting this....
I have not been paying any attention.. I have a 17 RGS and a 18 Heritage 114... My Roadie has 18k on it and no issues to date... The Heritage slobers oil out the air cleaner and has 2400 on it.. Now I've become a little nervous. Praying that this is like the cam bearing issue on my 99 Wide Glide that I recently sold with 40k on the clock and never did anything to.
I really hope some team menbers know and could fill out these blanks so we know where we stand on specific bike. So far not much luck but I hope overtime we will gather this info as collective colaboration

The following users liked this post:
Afishinado (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 01:41 PM
Brian Husk
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all for the responses.

I just rolled over 500 miles. Checked oil and seems fine so far. My only complaint is the clutch. I'd much prefer the clutch engage early in the release instead of at the end of it, but it's something I will just have to adjust to. There are times I get a little wobbly because I expect the bike to start moving sooner and have to let the lever out a little farther. I get pretty bad wind buffeting at high speed too, so I plan to try a klockwork flare windshield.

Also, I'm reading mixed reports of powertrain warranty being voided with header replacement. It seems replacing headers with aftermarket parts such as power duals from V&H may void the warranty on the engine. Is this true? Dealer said it won't, but another dealer said it will. Ugh. I purchased the 4 year ESP plan and would hate to nullify that by replacing the stock headers with V&H. I've listened to some videos on youtube and it seems there isn't a significant sound increase with slipons and stock headers, so I'm not sure I even want to do slipons without the headers. This whole EPA thing didn't seem to be an issue back in 07 when I bought my previous fatboy.

Last edited by Brian Husk; 01-22-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:12 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Husk

I just rolled over 500 miles. Checked oil and seems fine so far. My only complaint is the clutch. I'd much prefer the clutch engage early in the release instead of at the end of it, but it's something I will just have to adjust to. There are times I get a little wobbly because I expect the bike to start moving sooner and have to let the lever out a little farther. I get pretty bad wind buffeting at high speed too, so I plan to try a klockwork flare windshield.

Also, I'm reading mixed reports of powertrain warranty being voided with header replacement. It seems replacing headers with aftermarket parts such as power duals from V&H may void the warranty on the engine. Is this true? Dealer said it won't, but another dealer said it will. Ugh. I purchased the 4 year ESP plan and would hate to nullify that by replacing the stock headers with V&H. I've listened to some videos on youtube and it seems there isn't a significant sound increase with slipons and stock headers, so I'm not sure I even want to do slipons without the headers. This whole EPA thing didn't seem to be an issue back in 07 when I bought my previous fatboy.
my 2020 RGS clutch has a much better feel to it than my 2017 did so just get used to it..as far as your exhaust question..read your Limited Powertrain Warranty section in your Owners Manual..in short, you are not allowed to use emissions compliance defeating hardware and software and expect your warranty to remain intact

Old 01-22-2020, 04:11 PM
cvosjoe
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Husk

For the 2019 and up MYs they upgraded the clutch pack from 9 to 10 disc as well as a thicker inner spring spacer. If you upgrade to the 10 disc clutch pack with the thicker inner spring spacer it will bring the release point closer to the grip.

Last edited by cvosjoe; 01-22-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Brian Husk
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cvosjoe
For the 2019 and up MYs they upgraded the clutch pack from 9 to 10 disc as well as a thicker inner spring spacer. If you upgrade to the 10 disc clutch pack with the thicker inner spring spacer it will bring the release point closer to the grip.
Thanks. Mines a 2020 so I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:37 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

My M8 problems have all been HD service related, terrible workmanship. It's like none of them take a professsional attitude.
Ticks me off, third time has to go in for a clutch cable within 2 months, 1st time around they had the cable adjustment down at the bottom of the frame and most of the gear oil leaked out. The replacement cable is short now and binds on a right turn, dont dare go hands free to see if it tracks straight because of the stress. Back to the shop.
The wiring adddition for the apes looks like spaghetti under the nacelle and obvious as hell whoever looks at it.
One more complaint, the front brake line from master cylinder to lil block under the front frame was installed wrong. I cannot even begin to fathom the way the friggin tech thught his idea was acceptable, guessing he had a surplus cable and routed it through the nacelle.
HD service quality has went downhill big time around here. I'm to the point of going to Corporate I'm so disappointed, I wrestling with that.

Sound like I'm complainging? Venting.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:40 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
My M8 problems have all been HD service related, terrible workmanship. It's like none of them take a professsional attitude.
Ticks me off, third time has to go in for a clutch cable within 2 months, 1st time around they had the cable adjustment down at the bottom of the frame and most of the gear oil leaked out. The replacement cable is short now and binds on a right turn, dont dare go hands free to see if it tracks straight because of the stress. Back to the shop.
The wiring adddition for the apes looks like spaghetti under the nacelle and obvious as hell whoever looks at it.
One more complaint, the front brake line from master cylinder to lil block under the front frame was installed wrong. I cannot even begin to fathom the way the friggin tech thught his idea was acceptable, guessing he had a surplus cable and routed it through the nacelle.
HD service quality has went downhill big time around here. I'm to the point of going to Corporate I'm so disappointed, I wrestling with that.

Sound like I'm complainging? Venting.
Hey I don’t see the problem with letting them know they suck, and I’m sure this ain’t the first time either.

Telling the corporate sector of mothership HD your having a bad experience at the dealership, Well best of luck to ya, Everytime I’ve contacted them and made a case file, nothing happens of it, They just stick you in a loop and wait till you get tired and fix it ya self.

I still regret the day I brought mine, and can’t wait till it’s payed off to unload it on some other poor cool aid drinking bastard.

Wiz 🍻

Old 01-26-2020, 05:59 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

I still regret the day I brought mine, and can’t wait till it’s payed off to unload it on some other poor cool aid drinking bastard.

Wiz 🍻
Your Sportster or Raptor?

Quick Reply: M8 problems