Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 08:27 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Your bike and Im sure you know whats going on with it, but 6&11 would be used when #10 is not used. Sounds like your getting a new check valve, could be a new clamp and hose too. Wish you and your bike a quick repair for sure.
Looks to be the case. My bike is twin cooled and has the plug, #11

Wonder if it could be as simple as replacing the hose clamp? Never did care for those spring clamps.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:54 PM
twowheeladdict
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2016 Road Glide Ultra now has 7500 miles on it and the only warranty repairs needed were leaking air shocks, swelling gas cap, and one of the fairing vents won't stay open.
My 2017 M8 Road King now has over 2000 miles on it and it has been flawless. The only issue I had was mounting the quick release accessories was a bear. 3 dealers I visited while on trips all complained about the quick release accessories.
When I was mounting my quick release kit on the Road Glide Ultra, I noticed that the mounting points are elliptical instead of round and if you don't have them oriented correctly mounting accessories can be difficult. I adjusted the mounting points on the Road King and now the accessories mount and dismount as smooth as butter on warm toast.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:12 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I appreciate all the comments on this thread. The wife and I are looking to purchase a Black Quartz RGU, today possibly, and while this thread doesn't scare me away, I do have some things to look for / ask about.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:37 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by us1fountain
Looks to be the case. My bike is twin cooled and has the plug, #11

Wonder if it could be as simple as replacing the hose clamp? Never did care for those spring clamps.
My money's on those two o-rings in the connector assembly. I expect the MOCO will revise them and probably make changes.
In the mean time, if I owned a M8 and suffered by this issue. Then I would address it my self by looking into better quality seals like flat rather than round which tend to roll under pressure.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:33 PM
MarkBorg
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ultra Limited....After only 200 miles on the stage 3 kit (1100 on the bike) the bike developed a loud ticking/knocking in the engine.its at the shop now. I'll update what they find the issue. The initial diagnosis is cracked head. Evidently this has happened several times while doing the upgrade.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,257 Likes on 1,519 Posts

The only problem i encountered so far with the M8 Twin Cooled motor was the dealer didnt burp it like a baby when filling the coolant. At 75 miles the dash light for the coolant came on and it did store a low coolant code. Had the dealer tech on the phone the very next morning. I added some water and we cleared the code and all was good. Draining the water i added to put coolant back in was easy enough to do. I now have over 3000 trouble free miles. If that is all the problems i encounter i will be happy.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:57 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkBorg
Ultra Limited....After only 200 miles on the stage 3 kit (1100 on the bike) the bike developed a loud ticking/knocking in the engine.its at the shop now. I'll update what they find the issue. The initial diagnosis is cracked head. Evidently this has happened several times while doing the upgrade.
a cracked head as a result of a stage 3 upgrade? That's waked!

Old 11-06-2016, 11:26 PM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I should be getting my bike back this week, after a new motor was put in. Service manager told me that the piston jet oilers were not torqued properly. Caused extreme heat to the oil pump.

Last edited by BlkHillsBagger; 11-08-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:13 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

how do you like the Street Cannons? I just pulled the trigger on a SGS 107. ordered it with the SE stage 1 kit that includes street cannons, SE intake and tuner. my breakout has the cobra swept exhaust and it's loud. maybe too loud for the neighbors. thought i'd tone it down a bit with this new bike but i don't want the washing machine sound effects either.. I'm assuming the SE baffles are removable and/or can be modified.

Last edited by Drodrigueznyc; 11-08-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 AM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
how do you like the Street Cannons? I just pulled the trigger on a SGS 107. ordered it with the SE stage 1 kit that includes street cannons, SE intake and tuner. my breakout has the cobra swept exhaust and it's loud. maybe too loud for the neighbors. thought i'd tone it down a bit with this new bike but i don't want the washing machine sound effects either.. I'm assuming the SE baffles are removable and/or can be modified.
Its kinda hard for me to say...I had less than 400 miles when the motor went out. Up to that point I was liking them. I thought they were pretty anemic when new, but they seemed to have been settling in some, and sounding better, before the motor went. I think I will like this setup until I can see what comes out in the aftermarket, and what type of tunes are developed with which components.

Quick Reply: M8 problems