Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:16 AM
Gead
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

[font][font][QUOTE = mjhd; 18495627] Alguém sabe que tamanho a chave allen se encaixa na vareta de transmissão de 2019? [/ QUOTE][/font][/font]
Allen 3/8

Old 08-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Chevy's aren't as reliable as Honda's. Kia's aren't as reliable as Chevy's. Yet each year, all three brands sell cars.

I'm on my third Harley. I've had Honda's, Kawasaki's, and a Suzuki. Yet I aspired to own a Harley, and will never go back, even though the Harley requires a little more attention and TLC.

The dealer fixed the problem. Expecting a full refund after 1,000 miles for a problem that has been fixed is unrealistic for Harley, and for all other brands of motorcycles, cars, lawn mowers, hair dryers, etc.

Heatwave, you've had more issues than most. I get that you're pissed - who wouldn't be? And yet - HD has gone to great lengths to make you whole. At the end of the day, that's about all anyone can ask, IMHO.
Well using that line of thought, Don’t you think this problem should have been detected, delt ,with , and redesigned before the units went into production So there was no problem , or are we suggesting that Harley engineers just bang out any old piece of **** , Have people pay out the *** for it and then deal with it when someone comes in and starts complaining.

Harleys known there was a problem with the M8 and even now that have a vent fix for it, the new bikes on the floor which they will sell today don’t have the kit installed in them,

HD’s just going to see how many come back before they’ll lift a finger to install said kit.

If I was the OP I’d be pissed too.

Wiz 🍸

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 08-23-2019 at 10:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
northshore_paul (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Well using that line of thought, Don’t you think this problem should have been detected, delt ,with , and redesigned before the units went into production So there was no problem , or are we suggesting that Harley engineers just bang out any old piece of **** , Have people pay out the *** for it and then deal with it when someone comes in and starts complaining.

Harleys known there was a problem with the M8 and even now that have a vent fix for it, the new bikes on the floor which they will sell today don’t have the kit installed in them,

HD’s just going to see how many come back before they’ll lift a finger to install said kit.

If I was the OP I’d be pissed too.

Wiz 🍸
Fist off, Harley's are not "any old piece of ****"; they're far FAR better a) than they used to be, even a few short years ago (think 2008), and b) are competitive with other brands, even if not quite as reliable. But that's subjective, to a point.

Secondly, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that the "fix" should have been implemented two years ago. Right here on this forum, several of us recognized that the cause was a pressure difference between a vented cavity (the transmission) and an unvented cavity (the primary) and suggested venting the primary may be a solution. Surely, the engineers at Harley were smart enough to deduce that themselves, yet this problem persisted.

Finally, MY UNDERSTANDING (unconfirmed) is that the 2020's are, in fact, vented, just differently than "the fix".

As to the OP - he certainly has "the right" to be pissed that his unit transferred oil. However, it appears the dealership fixed it, without question, and sent him on his way. The OP is pissed that they won't refund his entire purchase price due to a problem fixed under warranty. THAT'S unreasonable, I don't care who you are.

SMR65 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
expectations should be based on the reality of the manufacturer's history and they can then decide whether to purchase or not if they can accept the known risks..if they can't there's plenty of other options available
Which is exactly what customers are doing. And which is reflected in Harley sales at a 20yr low and declining at an even faster pace.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-23-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Chevy's aren't as reliable as Honda's. Kia's aren't as reliable as Chevy's. Yet each year, all three brands sell cars.

I'm on my third Harley. I've had Honda's, Kawasaki's, and a Suzuki. Yet I aspired to own a Harley, and will never go back, even though the Harley requires a little more attention and TLC.

The dealer fixed the problem. Expecting a full refund after 1,000 miles for a problem that has been fixed is unrealistic for Harley, and for all other brands of motorcycles, cars, lawn mowers, hair dryers, etc.

Heatwave, you've had more issues than most. I get that you're pissed - who wouldn't be? And yet - HD has gone to great lengths to make you whole. At the end of the day, that's about all anyone can ask, IMHO.
You need to separate my views of how HD handled my personal situation from how they have handled the serious loss of market share and sales in the heavyweight motorcycle segment. I have no qualms and absolutely no negative carry over from my 2017 bike's issues (3 replacement engines). I say that very honestly as HD treated me as well as they could. Plus I was on the bleeding edge of the new M8 engine launch in the Fall of 2016. I wouldn't have suggested they could do anything more for me.

But my sentiments are far different from what I see happening to a once great line of bikes - Touring. They have ratched the prices "significantly" higher each year since the launch of the M8 while making almost zero further investments in the M8 engine or the Touring bikes themself. They have taken all those premium $s their loyal customers have paid for their bikes since 2016 and plowed them into an entirely differently line of products that almost no one that buys a Touring bike will ever purchase.

They have tried to squeak by with nominal investment in the touring line like slightly tweaked oil pumps and plastic vents to correct serious design flaws. They have tossed a view crumbs towards their loyal touring customers like a gorilla glass plate over the Boom system and some software tweaks to the ABS system. At the same time they lowered the cost of paint with far less expensive designs and jacked the prices much higher. They have removed feature after feature like CBs, chrome and various other esthetics that made these bikes Harley. They did all this while squeezing their legacy customers out of warranty coverage at the drop of a hat.

Personally I think HD would jettison the legacy customers if they could because they are unlikely to be interested in the new vision they have for electric bikes. We are nothing but an obstacle to their long term vision with our legacy views of what makes for a great bike. They really don't care that BMW, Honda, Indian and Yamaha are offering more Touring bike features for far less money because their plan is to leapfrog the industry with electric.

That may be all well and good but its means the days of major investment in Touring bikes is behind HD, NOT ahead, as my guess is that every spare $ HD makes from here forward will be thrown at making electric a success. More power to them but its not a future I personally feel a part of.

And from a business standpoint, I think their strategy is premature from both a technology perspective and a customer-readiness perspective. The market will decide however I believe the future will NOT be kind to HD's electric strategy. But who knows...I've been wrong before and they have far more access to market data than I have. In the interim, I will be looking for a new Touring bike experience to complement my existing Harley experience. I just need to see how the major competitors respond to Harley's lack of Touring innovation with their own 2020 offerings.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-23-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:44 PM
mjhd
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3/8-hex bit thanks for the info

Last edited by mjhd; 08-23-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-23-2019, 10:32 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider1
Don't let the door hit you on the way out -- too many whiners.
To many guys on the corporate Kool-Aid. If the gentleman wants to ride something that not always broke down, Buy something different. I've got a Chevrolet, some of my friends have Dodges and Fords, Who cares ? Don't take it so personal.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Fist off, Harley's are not "any old piece of ****"; they're far FAR better a) than they used to be, even a few short years ago (think 2008), and b) are competitive with other brands, even if not quite as reliable. But that's subjective, to a point.

Secondly, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that the "fix" should have been implemented two years ago. Right here on this forum, several of us recognized that the cause was a pressure difference between a vented cavity (the transmission) and an unvented cavity (the primary) and suggested venting the primary may be a solution. Surely, the engineers at Harley were smart enough to deduce that themselves, yet this problem persisted.

Finally, MY UNDERSTANDING (unconfirmed) is that the 2020's are, in fact, vented, just differently than "the fix".

As to the OP - he certainly has "the right" to be pissed that his unit transferred oil. However, it appears the dealership fixed it, without question, and sent him on his way. The OP is pissed that they won't refund his entire purchase price due to a problem fixed under warranty. THAT'S unreasonable, I don't care who you are.
Fist off, Harley's are not "any old piece of ****"; they're far FAR better a) than they used to be, even a few short years ago (think 2008), and b) are competitive with other brands, even if not quite as reliable. But that's subjective, to a point. [QUOTE]

I had a seat retaining bolt fall off my BRAND NEW sportster on its maiden trip home, only to have to ride the bike back to the dealership in the same hour of delivery for its first warranty claim in under 60 minutes
And don’t get me frieakin started on the pissing oil leak from a cross threaded elbow fitting screwed into the oil pump case and how the ****** used a thread chaser and Teflon tape to fix it.

Quality my ****, I’ve been riding for 47 years. I think I know a good bike when I’ve owned one and my sporty ain’t it.

Wiz 🍻

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 08-24-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Now there’s a ringing endorsement of a brand and a product. A guy works hard and saves up to buy a product in today’s computerized age of design, manufacturing.and quality control. The product has premium + pricing, up to $49,000. That product has some major issues dealing with the engine, transmission, leaking speedos, wheel bearings, speakers and a half dozen other issues.

The company instead of investing to redesign or permanently correct these flaws instead spends their R&D $ on an entirely new line of products.

But according to some of you, the problem is the guy with too high of an expectation for the product. He should have expected those problems because... well .... its a Harley.

With that thinking its no wonder Harley is losing sales and market share. Its also no wonder why younger guys are looking elsewhere for their motorcycle recreation.

Based on this thinking, should anyone buying a Harley Livewire or Adv bike or a moped EXPECT serious issues BECAUSE its a Harley? And is it their fault for buying one when those issues develop and they are dissatisfied? Wow, crazy thinking.
You are absolutley correct. This is the main reason for Harley being in the financial state it is in.

northshore_paul (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 11:47 AM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK
You are absolutley correct. This is the main reason for Harley being in the financial state it is in.
There is an article by Zacks financial research that speaks to the financial situation of Harley (HOG) and its past and future outlook. More telling are the comments, which I always read because the comments give the opinion of the "man on the street" and his or her take on the opinions expressed in the article. The comments to the Zack's article are far more alarming to those investing in or buying the products of the motor company. At today's prices and the changing demographics I don't see the Motor Company returning to the heyday of the 90's and early 2000's. Those days are gone and unless the executives look in the mirror, and reflect the wants, desires, and what the public can and will afford, I can see Harley's market share continuing to become smaller and smaller.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/harle...133001463.html

Quick Reply: M8 problems