Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
So let me understand the thinking here. Harley’s cratering sales and guys are telling current Harley owners to go buy another brand. Yep, that’s going help Harley future sales.
"2019 electra glide standard took in for 1000 mile service. Found oil transfer and they put in a primary vent kit.Asked about them taking the bike back and they offered me $2000 less than I paid for it to trade on another bike lol. Guess I won't be buying another one from them.
Offered $2700 less than purchase price before taxes and fees"

yup, he's ready to bail on it at 1000 miles because they installed a fix, and expects them to reimburse him close to what he paid for it ..anybody expecting perfection from a Harley is misguided and disillusioned and should buy a Yamaha if top priority is trouble free..what happens when he has a cracked heat shield, or bad wheel bearings, etc etc, and they take care of those..he'll probably just be miserable over it all..you buy a Harley you should expect some issues and accept and deal with them or don't buy one in the first place

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Max Headflow (08-22-2019), SMR65 (08-23-2019), strych9 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 11:13 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

So let me understand the thinking here. Harley’s cratering sales and guys are telling current Harley owners to go buy another brand. Yep, that’s going help Harley future sales.
**** even the dealers ain’t helping themselves,

I spoke to a couple of dealers and asked them if they had the sumping under control and if the bikes their now selling have had the vent kit installed.

I was told “ I’m sorry I can’t answer that “

Then I said , So your expecting someone to come in a buy a new bike for top dollar and wait for the sumping problem to raise its head and then your going to contact mothership HD and have it fixed under warranty ?.

I was told “ Let me know if I can help you with anything else “ Then he walked off.

Hell of a way to make a sale.

Gee Wiz 🙄

Old 08-23-2019, 03:09 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
"2019 electra glide standard took in for 1000 mile service. Found oil transfer and they put in a primary vent kit.Asked about them taking the bike back and they offered me $2000 less than I paid for it to trade on another bike lol. Guess I won't be buying another one from them.
Offered $2700 less than purchase price before taxes and fees"

yup, he's ready to bail on it at 1000 miles because they installed a fix, and expects them to reimburse him close to what he paid for it ..anybody expecting perfection from a Harley is misguided and disillusioned and should buy a Yamaha if top priority is trouble free..what happens when he has a cracked heat shield, or bad wheel bearings, etc etc, and they take care of those..he'll probably just be miserable over it all..you buy a Harley you should expect some issues and accept and deal with them or don't buy one in the first place

Now there’s a ringing endorsement of a brand and a product. A guy works hard and saves up to buy a product in today’s computerized age of design, manufacturing.and quality control. The product has premium + pricing, up to $49,000. That product has some major issues dealing with the engine, transmission, leaking speedos, wheel bearings, speakers and a half dozen other issues.

The company instead of investing to redesign or permanently correct these flaws instead spends their R&D $ on an entirely new line of products.

But according to some of you, the problem is the guy with too high of an expectation for the product. He should have expected those problems because... well .... its a Harley.

With that thinking its no wonder Harley is losing sales and market share. Its also no wonder why younger guys are looking elsewhere for their motorcycle recreation.

Based on this thinking, should anyone buying a Harley Livewire or Adv bike or a moped EXPECT serious issues BECAUSE its a Harley? And is it their fault for buying one when those issues develop and they are dissatisfied? Wow, crazy thinking.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-23-2019 at 03:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
northshore_paul (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 AM
mjhd
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know what size allen wrench fits 2019 touring transmission dipstick?

Old 08-23-2019, 07:35 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Now there’s a ringing endorsement of a brand and a product. A guy works hard and saves up to buy a product in today’s computerized age of design, manufacturing.and quality control. The product has premium + pricing, up to $49,000. That product has some major issues dealing with the engine, transmission, leaking speedos, wheel bearings, speakers and a half dozen other issues.

The company instead of investing to redesign or permanently correct these flaws instead spends their R&D $ on an entirely new line of products.

But according to some of you, the problem is the guy with too high of an expectation for the product. He should have expected those problems because... well .... its a Harley.

With that thinking its no wonder Harley is losing sales and market share. Its also no wonder why younger guys are looking elsewhere for their motorcycle recreation.

Based on this thinking, should anyone buying a Harley Livewire or Adv bike or a moped EXPECT serious issues BECAUSE its a Harley? And is it their fault for buying one when those issues develop and they are dissatisfied? Wow, crazy thinking.
is what it is, they're not for everyone...don't like, don't buy and move along..it really is that simple

QNman (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
is what it is, they're not for everyone...don't like, don't buy and move along..it really is that simple
That makes sense with any choice in products - to buy products that meet your wants and needs.

But suggesting customers shouldn’t be disappointed in major flaws because they should have EXPECTED poor designs when paying premium $ for a Harley seems like madness to me.

I buy all products expecting thoughtful, innovative, well designed and well made products, particularly when I pay a premium for that product. Suggesting customers should expect inferiority BECAUSE its a Harley explains exactly why sales are now at a 20 yr low.

northshore_paul (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:29 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

That makes sense with any choice in products - to buy products that meet your wants and needs.

But suggesting customers shouldn’t be disappointed in major flaws because they should have EXPECTED poor designs when paying premium $ for a Harley seems like madness to me.

I buy all products expecting thoughtful, innovative, well designed and well made products, particularly when I pay a premium for that product. Suggesting customers should expect inferiority BECAUSE its a Harley explains exactly why sales are now at a 20 yr low.
expectations should be based on the reality of the manufacturer's history and they can then decide whether to purchase or not if they can accept the known risks..if they can't there's plenty of other options available

Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhd
Allens generally come in sets... Not hard to figure out.

Hint: They're SAE.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhd
First time I’ve had to buy an imperial tool set is when I got my sporty 🥺.
Everything else I’ve owned has been made in the modern world.

Wiz 🍻

Old 08-23-2019, 09:14 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Chevy's aren't as reliable as Honda's. Kia's aren't as reliable as Chevy's. Yet each year, all three brands sell cars.

I'm on my third Harley. I've had Honda's, Kawasaki's, and a Suzuki. Yet I aspired to own a Harley, and will never go back, even though the Harley requires a little more attention and TLC.

The dealer fixed the problem. Expecting a full refund after 1,000 miles for a problem that has been fixed is unrealistic for Harley, and for all other brands of motorcycles, cars, lawn mowers, hair dryers, etc.

Heatwave, you've had more issues than most. I get that you're pissed - who wouldn't be? And yet - HD has gone to great lengths to make you whole. At the end of the day, that's about all anyone can ask, IMHO.

strych9 (08-23-2019)

Quick Reply: M8 problems