Old 08-16-2018, 02:05 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by STRADALE

I don't know what they want from me
It's like the mo money we come across
The mo problems we seeeee~~~

LoL! Nah but sorry I digress. It’s a public forum so as long as the person adds to the discussion & isn’t here just to troll & bash the brand, think it’s fine.

My first new Harley/w/ a warranty was a 1988 1200 Sporty, since then have always had a Harley & for the last 25 years owned at least 2 at the same time, currently own 3 so I’m familiar w/ Harley issues & never expect them to be flawless but guess it’s a matter of perspective. Believe what you’re saying is sumping is like any other issue you may encounter. From my perspective it’s unlike any other issue I’ve ever heard of because it can affect brand new motors, after 2 years & 7 oil pump revisions it’s still happening, still no one knows why it happens & when it does happen it’s usually catastrophic. It’s one thing if I have to bring in my bike because of a water pump failing at x miles & need a new pump or say the hydraulic clutch recall where the bike may move if started in gear, that’s a little different IMO than needing a new motor on a brand new motorcycle & even after an engine replacement it’s possible it can/ and has happened again w/ still no fix or even an understanding of why it happens.

But see what I was talking about earlier; there’s actually people who post here that these issues are fabricated, completely made up, think that’s even worse than a guy who doesn’t currently own a Harley but interested in buying one posting here. What was the Harley TSB for sumping, for transferring for then? But there’s people that believe Apollo 11 was shot on a movie stage & 911 was explosives planted by the US Govt, so, whaddya gonna do..
Best of luck on what ever your trying to make a point about.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:30 PM
RiggerWings
Tourer

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

Am I mistaken, or wasn't the sumping issue limited to the stage III 114 motors? I haven't heard of a 107 M8 having that. I have heard of fluid transfer that has been easily fixed though.

Bikes will always have issues. Just as some people love (Ford/Chevy/Dodge) even though on occasion someone has a lemon. Humans aren't perfect, so Harleys wont be either. Buy one, drive like it's meant to be driven and if there's an issue, that's what the warranty is for. I pray I don't have any issues but I'll deal with it when (if) the time comes.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:29 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by RiggerWings
Am I mistaken, or wasn't the sumping issue limited to the stage III 114 motors? I haven't heard of a 107 M8 having that. I have heard of fluid transfer that has been easily fixed though.

Bikes will always have issues. Just as some people love (Ford/Chevy/Dodge) even though on occasion someone has a lemon. Humans aren't perfect, so Harleys wont be either. Buy one, drive like it's meant to be driven and if there's an issue, that's what the warranty is for. I pray I don't have any issues but I'll deal with it when (if) the time comes.
All M8 displacements (107, 114, 117), stages (I, II, III, IV) and model bikes (All touring and softails) from 2017 and 2018 are included in HD’s SB1450 regarding sumping. So the answer to your question is NO, sumping is not limited stage III 114.

The following users liked this post:
scooper321 (11-01-2019)
Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

I haven't heard of a 107 M8 having that.
Well now you have. Been through 3 stock 107's. So far so good on #4.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 PM
RiggerWings
Tourer

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Well now you have. Been through 3 stock 107's. So far so good on #4.
Holy crap! All 3 previous motors had sumping issues?

Old 08-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Holy crap! All 3 previous motors had sumping issues?
To quote Sarah Palin - "You Betcha!"

Old 08-17-2018, 02:53 PM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Strange

Old 08-17-2018, 02:57 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by ekb55
Strange
Strange comment.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:32 PM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Yamaha XS

Originally Posted by Toolmaster
So, I decided to ride from Fargo to Sturgis. 468 miles, over 7 hours through no-man's-land!
I made it 308 miles and My bike died. the speedometer started freaking out about 7 miles before, 2 miles before complete failure all of the electrical system (except what runs the engine) quit.

A farmer helped me take my bike apart and recharge the battery, well that got me 38 miles, where, by some miricle, I coasted into another farmyard and was able to get a better charge on the battery.
This new charge ran my motorcycle right up to the gates of the Buffalo Chip

Hog roadside Assistance paid $100 and I paid $70 and my bike and I were in Rapid City, Sunday they replaced my Battery and Voltage Regulator, warranty covered it (yes I have aftermarket Slip-ons), but they were near closing and did not take the time to see why the voltage regulator failed.
Well, I made it 64 miles north of Rapid City when it died again and I had to make arrangements to get me and my bike home.
Reminds me of one of the new XS 1100 Yamaha’s I had. Bike was new and kept cutting. Drove the dealer crazy trying to replicate. I eventually found out the issue was a wire shorting out.

Then an there was the time I twisted the crankshaft on my GS1100 Suzuki.

And of course I and thousands of others who bought brand new Suzuki 1200 Bandits had to fight Suzuki over defective pistons causing tons of oil consumption.

But WAIT, it’s only M8 Harley’s that have problems. At least I’ve got a great 7 year warranty. I choose to ride my bike instead of forums.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
You're being far too strong a fanboy! I'm with you as a supporter of HD. I've test ridden the BMW K1600B and the new Goldwing and would still prefer a CVO Touring bike. But you simply have not had enough miles to put your pride ahead of reality. I was right where you are today. Strong supporter of the M8 to everyone that would listen.... and to a large extent I still am. But when reality gives you a smackdown your views become more tempered. At 5500 miles, after lots of terrific riding as an experienced rider, my 2017 CVO Limited with Stage IV, out of the blue, ...SUMPED. And shortly afterwards it was near complete failure. Just like that. Very little warning. BOOM, busted new bike.

HD tried to make it right. They gave me a free 7yr ESP and shipped a new motor. The dealer upgraded it back to Stage IV and within 500 miles, that 2nd new engine ...SUMPED. They shipped a 3rd new engine. I rode that new engine in stock form for about another 1500 miles before upgrading to Stage IV once again, on HD's nickel of course. That 3rd engine ...SUMPED. HD said they would build a stage IV 117 at the factory for the dealership to install. They informed me it was a 2019 engine case and there would be no more issues. That 4th engine has run great for 2000 miles.

In addition to the new engines, the bike needed a replacement speedometer due to moisture streaks inside. Plus new front rotors due to warping in the first 1000miles. Plus repairs to power locks that stopped working. Plus several oil pump replacements trying to resolve the sumping before replacing the engines. All replaced under warranty. I'm sure many have read my engine "saga" before but for the new guys that haven't heard it, you need to temper your remarks when guys have serious issues. Its not a "needle in a haystack" situation. There are enough reports of serious issues such as sumping and fluid transfer to suggest it can happen to anyone until you've ridden...let's say 10's of thousands of miles. Until then, just be thankful your bike hasn't shown any symptoms....YET!

So before you get too far ahead of yourself stomping on other guy's "d*cks", just be careful that in the next couple of thousand miles you don't stomp on your own d*ick.

Thanks for your update. This is the kind of information people like me need when making a 40K decision.
Jonnierock

Quick Reply: M8 problems