Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:53 PM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You are so right about the ergonomics. There have been a couple of bikes I bought and sold because they were great bikes....but not for me, the fit just was not comfortable for the long ride. The Electra Glides have the perfect ergonomics for me and I can ride them for miles and miles all day. I've had three Beemers, one airhead and two K bikes. The Air Heads remind me a lot of the Electra Glide as far as the sound of the exhaust and the simplicity and of course the ergonomics. Unfortunately, BMW has gone a different route, and the Airheads are long in the tooth and parts are getting expensive and not as easy to come by. I think if they made an updated version with better electrics, a EFI system like my K100 had, and a couple of other refinements, they then would have kept the traditional BMW riders. Now they are too damn expensive, dealers are too far and few, and they don't want to work on the older bikes. Not good if you don't turn a wrench and are days away from home. I guess there is not a perfect system. I did like the way the dealer setup was before 1990 with HD. A lot of small shops with guys who sold them, rode them and turned the wrenches. This was before the mega boutique shops and catering to the Rolex riding crowd. Oh well, enough of the bitchin.

Last edited by northshore_paul; 04-10-2018 at 10:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kap1 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:46 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by northshore_paul
I have been following this thread for about a month now. I had a 1991 EVO FLHTC and now a 2000 FLHTC that I bought with 16,000 miles on the clock. I went looking last month at the new baggers and they do look impressive. The write ups in all the magazines are very positive and so was I until I came across this thread. I figured at my age this would probably be the last new bike I would buy to last me all my driving years, (many I hope).
After reading almost all of the postings on the M8 I'll just stay with my TCM88 and its published problems. With the amount of money Harley wants for the new bikes and the troubles I see people having it is just not worth the risk and heartache. The worse part about what I read is how the Motor Company will not stand behind their product and the hoops owners have to go through to have their problems corrected, if they ever are. So when I want my Harley experience I will just ride my old TCM88 and look to Japan for my final long term life rider. It may not have the vibes of the Harley but at least the new Gold Wing does have reliability and a three year unlimited mileage warranty which I understand rarely has to be used, unlike the new M8's. So sad, and with the financial woes the company has been experiencing I don't see them stepping up to the plate to own the problems that are out there and fix them like they should be fixed.
I totally agree with you NSP. I usually buy a new bike about every 3 years or so, but with all the problems, it's not going to happen.
Jonnierock

Last edited by JONNIEROCK; 04-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Bpeer1
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You are so right about the ergonomics. There have been a couple of bikes I bought and sold because they were great bikes....but not for me, the fit just was not comfortable for the long ride. The Electra Glides have the perfect ergonomics for me and I can ride them for miles and miles all day. I've had three Beemers, one airhead and two K bikes. The Air Heads remind me a lot of the Electra Glide as far as the sound of the exhaust and the simplicity and of course the ergonomics. Unfortunately, BMW has gone a different route, and the Airheads are long in the tooth and parts are getting expensive and not as easy to come by. I think if they made an updated version with better electrics, a EFI system like my K100 had, and a couple of other refinements, they then would have kept the traditional BMW riders. Now they are too damn expensive, dealers are too far and few, and they don't want to work on the older bikes. Not good if you don't turn a wrench and are days away from home. I guess there is not a perfect system. I did like the way the dealer setup was before 1990 with HD. A lot of small shops with guys who sold them, rode them and turned the wrenches. This was before the mega boutique shops and catering to the Rolex riding crowd. Oh well, enough of the bitchin.
NSP, do you think you are what some would call a HRINO? Harley Rider In Name Only. Just curious.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpeer1
NSP, do you think you are what some would call a HRINO? Harley Rider In Name Only. Just curious.
No, because I don't consider myself a Harley rider, but I consider myself a motorcycle rider, whether I am riding my Honda, Suzuki, my Harleys, or when I rode my Guzzis, BMW's, Kawasaki, Yamaha, etc. I don't think anyone should be married to a brand, but to motorcycling in general. What fits the occasion, the type of riding, the ergonomics, what I can repair myself, and the price is a big consideration. So to answer your question, I am a motorcyclist who rides any and all makes, not married to any particular one "until death do I part", that is only for my wife. Keep on riding buddy.

The following 4 users liked this post by northshore_paul:
Heatwave (04-16-2018), jockotwin (04-20-2018), mjwebb (04-13-2018), TenMidgets (04-20-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:02 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,961 Likes on 4,035 Posts

No, because I don't consider myself a Harley rider, but I consider myself a motorcycle rider, whether I am riding my Honda, Suzuki, my Harleys, or when I rode my Guzzis, BMW's, Kawasaki, Yamaha, etc. I don't think anyone should be married to a brand, but to motorcycling in general. What fits the occasion, the type of riding, the ergonomics, what I can repair myself, and the price is a big consideration. So to answer your question, I am a motorcyclist who rides any and all makes, not married to any particular one "until death do I part", that is only for my wife. Keep on riding buddy.

Good for you.. I don't consider myself a harley rider either. I consider myself a motorcyclist even tho I own 4 HDs, 2 special constructions and a Honda. I really don't care about the HD wieners either. I've owned HD, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, BSA, Norton, and CZ. I worked in various bike shops in the 70s that allowed me to also fix and ride, the same plus Triumph, Matchless, Mustang, Yamaha, Maico, Husqvarna, BMW, Jawa, Rickman and Rokon. I own a 17 RK.. IMO it's a pretty good bike.. Anyone not buying one because the hysteria here should give up riding and spend more time on facebook.

The following 4 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
bshapiro (04-21-2018), mjwebb (04-13-2018), Northernproducer (04-17-2018), SomeOld Biker (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

"Anyone not buying one because the hysteria here should give up riding and spend more time on facebook."

That is the truth! My 17 RK is the best ride and I have many years of riding.
I call my King "Dream Machine" cause she rides like a dream. Life is too damn short!

The following 3 users liked this post by SomeOld Biker:
bshapiro (04-21-2018), mjwebb (04-13-2018), sixguns (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 08:10 AM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Well My 17 RGU broke a faring flapper---it would not stay open after drunken owneer allowed her to spend one night in the driving rain off Key West bay and another night in the driving rain off the ocean in Daytona.----this fricking piece a junk!

The following users liked this post:
bshapiro (04-21-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
The dealer kept my 2018 flhcs due to excessive oil consumption. I'll update this thread once I know more.
any updates yet? curious.....

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidson Harley
Well My 17 RGU broke a faring flapper---it would not stay open after drunken owneer allowed her to spend one night in the driving rain off Key West bay and another night in the driving rain off the ocean in Daytona.----this fricking piece a junk!
I’ve had more trouble with my 17 custom in 12 months than all the other jap bikes I’ve had in the last 45 years

just get used to the problems your having. It’s a Harley

Wiz 🤪

Old 04-20-2018, 01:24 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

People keep saying the forum is not representative of real-world issues. I beg to differ. Harley KNOWS of this issue. That in of itself should convince anyone that it's not just 20 or so on this forum that has issues. I read enough to stay away from the new models.

Nothing is worse than being on a $20-$30K bike that one has to worry even a little about or constantly checking for oil issues like leaks all the time. Life is too short.

This IS an issue confirmed by the MOCO itself that I believe is more real-world common than people without issues on this thread want to think. The MOCO is not changing oil pump part numbers because 20 guys an a Harley Forum had an issue.

At his point I would ask if Harley made a 737, would you fly in it with the possible (not probable) issues just relayed on this forum? A mechanical failure on a bike can be just as fatal.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 04-20-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: M8 problems