Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:00 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
this is a 2018 model? Clearly under warranty? what does the dealer say?

(if you mentioned this before, I have not read every post in this thread, its long)
Opened a case today with the dealer. Service manager filled oil level to the "full hot" using the by the book method. Will now ride it a thousand miles.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:13 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

The dealer kept my 2018 flhcs due to excessive oil consumption. I'll update this thread once I know more.

The following users liked this post:
F150HD (04-07-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM
rkbagman
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Transmission shifter pawl shaft seal leak on my 2017 Streetglide with just 1100 miles on it.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:45 AM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been following this thread for about a month now. I had a 1991 EVO FLHTC and now a 2000 FLHTC that I bought with 16,000 miles on the clock. I went looking last month at the new baggers and they do look impressive. The write ups in all the magazines are very positive and so was I until I came across this thread. I figured at my age this would probably be the last new bike I would buy to last me all my driving years, (many I hope).
After reading almost all of the postings on the M8 I'll just stay with my TCM88 and its published problems. With the amount of money Harley wants for the new bikes and the troubles I see people having it is just not worth the risk and heartache. The worse part about what I read is how the Motor Company will not stand behind their product and the hoops owners have to go through to have their problems corrected, if they ever are. So when I want my Harley experience I will just ride my old TCM88 and look to Japan for my final long term life rider. It may not have the vibes of the Harley but at least the new Gold Wing does have reliability and a three year unlimited mileage warranty which I understand rarely has to be used, unlike the new M8's. So sad, and with the financial woes the company has been experiencing I don't see them stepping up to the plate to own the problems that are out there and fix them like they should be fixed.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by northshore_paul
I have been following this thread for about a month now. I had a 1991 EVO FLHTC and now a 2000 FLHTC that I bought with 16,000 miles on the clock. I went looking last month at the new baggers and they do look impressive. The write ups in all the magazines are very positive and so was I until I came across this thread. I figured at my age this would probably be the last new bike I would buy to last me all my driving years, (many I hope).
After reading almost all of the postings on the M8 I'll just stay with my TCM88 and its published problems. With the amount of money Harley wants for the new bikes and the troubles I see people having it is just not worth the risk and heartache. The worse part about what I read is how the Motor Company will not stand behind their product and the hoops owners have to go through to have their problems corrected, if they ever are. So when I want my Harley experience I will just ride my old TCM88 and look to Japan for my final long term life rider. It may not have the vibes of the Harley but at least the new Gold Wing does have reliability and a three year unlimited mileage warranty which I understand rarely has to be used, unlike the new M8's. So sad, and with the financial woes the company has been experiencing I don't see them stepping up to the plate to own the problems that are out there and fix them like they should be fixed.
Boy Paul you sure do have a doom and gloom outlook.

You're right, there certainly are some problems with some of the new bikes and H-D seems to not have a handle on a fix for either the sumping or the fluid transfer issues. However, there do seem to be many owners who are having very enjoyable M8 experiences, including myself. At 70, I decided to give up my trouble free 2014 Rushmore for a new 18 which could very well be my last bike. I figured if it was going to be my last bike that I WAS going to buy what I wanted to buy and deal with whatever may come up.

As far as Harley's financial woes I'm not sure if going from net income of $692 million in 2016 to $522 million in 2017 qualifies as "financial woes" but once again I guess that depends on a doom and gloom outlook.

As far as having a wonderful trouble free Gold Wing experience, according to some (on this forum so info could be biased) there are long term issues that Honda is still working on to solve.

Good luck with your outlook.

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 04-10-2018 at 01:34 PM.
winndl (05-17-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 01:19 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,015 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Your call for sure and I respect that. For me, my 2017 Road King has been insanely great. I could ride it all day and my only regret is shutting it down. Tremendous torque , shifts real well, good clutch action ( a little fast on engagement but you quickly get used to it), and the stock suspension is remarkable good for only 3 inches travel. No odd noises , drips or errors. Dont let the transfer thing bring you down.. I and many others have not had any issues with that.

mjwebb (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 01:55 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Honestly, if you calculate the percentage of riders here versus ALL harley riders. Then calculate the amount of riders here reporting sever issues, I think you'll find its a very small percentage in comparison.

Dont let this site scare you. lol Yes there are some issues, but all in all its a great bike.

mjwebb (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Bpeer1
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you should buy a goldwing!

The following 2 users liked this post by Bpeer1:
ERummy (04-12-2018), mjwebb (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:33 PM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpeer1
I think you should buy a goldwing!
Bpeer1, thanks for the encouragement. That is what some of my riding buddies have told me. Only one has the new engine the rest have TC88's and one who has been a life long Harley rider has finally made the switch and he is 72! He bought one of the new Gold Wing Tour DCT's and loves it. The first month he put 4,000 miles on it with 3 long trip road trips to Texas and Florida Keys. Not one hiccup and made for the long days in the saddle. I am still putting off the demo ride because I don't want to make the plunge....they are expensive, about the same as the Ultras.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Bpeer1, thanks for the encouragement. That is what some of my riding buddies have told me. Only one has the new engine the rest have TC88's and one who has been a life long Harley rider has finally made the switch and he is 72! He bought one of the new Gold Wing Tour DCT's and loves it. The first month he put 4,000 miles on it with 3 long trip road trips to Texas and Florida Keys. Not one hiccup and made for the long days in the saddle. I am still putting off the demo ride because I don't want to make the plunge....they are expensive, about the same as the Ultras.
there's some great bikes out there..I didn't like the seat height on the BMW K1600 and the ergonomics on the 18 Gold Wing were definitely not comfortable for my frame..haven't checked out the new 18 Yamaha..not looking tho just like motorcycles in general..good luck with your decision..sure the GW will be a great bike for some

Quick Reply: M8 problems