Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:16 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by northshore_paul
Today is the first time I've read this thread....and I am glad I did. I went to look at the '18's this past week-end and I must say they whetted my appetite for a new ride. I have a 2000 Electra Glide I bought from an elderly man with low mileage. Nice running bike but the new ones look so good and what the magazines say, they ride so well! Now I am conflicted. I went from trying to pick out a color to now standing back and saying, whoa, I didn't know they had these issues? I know my TC 88 has tensioner issues but that can be dealt with. With what I am reading about the new motor has me on hold. I did stop by the Honda shop today and the new GW looks really good and all the write ups rave about it. And it no longer looks like a geezer bike. I am big on reliability and next to that is accountablilty of the manufacturer to stand behind any and all issues that may arise with the product. I will test ride a new DCT GW this week and if the performance is anything close to what I read about it may be the next bike because as I said, reliability is number one concern for me....but I'm keeping the Glide because it is fun!
Many of the new 2018 Goldwings already have fit and finish (paint) problems, front end issues and in the coming months, I guarantee the DCT will have issues. Honda still hasn't fixed all the problems that the previous GL1800 has experienced. And that's been basically the same bike since the 2001 model year.

I don't care what brand you look at and possibly buy, they will all have problems.

Last edited by YPD485; 03-16-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Jarlaxle
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you base your "guarantee" that the DCT will have problems on? Honda has been building DCT bikes for several years now.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:17 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
What do you base your "guarantee" that the DCT will have problems on? Honda has been building DCT bikes for several years now.
Just wait and see.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Jarlaxle
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I will put you down for "nothing resembling evidence", then.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jarlaxle:
mjwebb (03-19-2018), northshore_paul (03-18-2018), sectime (04-01-2018), TenMidgets (04-08-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Mart
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Thank you

Have just got through all of this thread (snowy weather this weekend!) and writing to say I appreciate all the info provided. I am 250miles into m8 fat Bob 114. Bought ex-demo, post first service. I once had a shovelhead on a hard tail frame as a second Sunday afternoon bike, but no real Harley history. So good to get up with what I've bought into. Bike has 1100miles and no issues. Oil levels checked, apart from cracking open primary cover. All still OK. About 9 years ago I tested a RK Classic and handed it back to dealer with oil leaking out of air box after 15miles. I'm swift but not hard on bikes. That put me off. But the 114 M8 and softtail chassis and great comfort won me back. Have really connected with is bike. Love the feel and character and starting to get drawn into the Harley brand.

After reading through the issues, still not clear whether the softtails have similar oil pump & migration issues?
Be good to get feedback on that? I have had air filter off and a v.light oil coating within air box is evident along with a cream oil/water film at tip of both rubber breathers. Is that normal? Apart from that, I've had to adjust rear brake pedal, so I can use it without having to lift right foot off the pedal. No problems and am very very happy I have my new bike.

Was thinking of taking it to stage 2, but will hold off for now as the tuning changes seem to trigger some folks problems. Standard exhaust still sounds OK when on the move. Looking forward to summer!

Martin

Last edited by Mart; 03-18-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart
Have just got through all of this thread (snowy weather this weekend!) and writing to say I appreciate all the info provided. I am 250miles into m8 fat Bob 114. Bought ex-demo, post first service. I once had a shovelhead on a hard tail frame as a second Sunday afternoon bike, but no real Harley history. So good to get up with what I've bought into. Bike has 1100miles and no issues. Oil levels checked, apart from cracking open primary cover. All still OK. About 9 years ago I tested a RK Classic and handed it back to dealer with oil leaking out of air box after 15miles. I'm swift but not hard on bikes. That put me off. But the 114 M8 and softtail chassis and great comfort won me back. Have really connected with is bike. Love the feel and character and starting to get drawn into the Harley brand.

After reading through the issues, still not clear whether the softtails have similar oil pump & migration issues?
Be good to get feedback on that? I have had air filter off and a v.light oil coating within air box is evident along with a cream oil/water film at tip of both rubber breathers. Is that normal? Apart from that, I've had to adjust rear brake pedal, so I can use it without having to lift right foot off the pedal. No problems and am very very happy I have my new bike.

Was thinking of taking it to stage 2, but will hold off for now as the tuning changes seem to trigger some folks problems. Standard exhaust still sounds OK when on the move. Looking forward to summer!

Martin
Oil migration is related to the hydraulic clutch, the softails are still use a cable so you are good there.
The light oil is normal but is made worse by keeping the oil completely full, many are keeping the oil 1/2 quart low to keep the oil blow by to a minimum.
The creamy stuff is normal also and is oil mixed with pwater vapor from the hot air venting through the breather bolts. Many have done a breather bolt bypass to keep the blowby and the water vapor from being ingested by the bike through the throttle body.

Get some miles on the bike and you may find that you don't need stage 2.
I ride two up 99% of the time on a SGS 107 and feel no need for more power. If you go to stage 2 then you will have to decide if you want a torque cam or a power cam.

Congrats on the new bike, I love the Fat Bob.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:57 AM
Mart
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 293 Posts

Thanks

Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
Get some miles on the bike and you may find that you don't need stage 2. I ride two up 99% of the time on a SGS 107 and feel no need for more power.
agree, I only ride solo but after 18 months and 18000 miles of trying to justify going beyond Stage 1, every time I ride it I just keep coming back to 'it doesn't need more power' and 'leave well enough alone'

The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 273 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
agree, I only ride solo but after 18 months and 18000 miles of trying to justify going beyond Stage 1, every time I ride it I just keep coming back to 'it doesn't need more power' and 'leave well enough alone'

I am kinda at the same point with my '18 Limited. I am surprised at the sound of the OEM exhaust, it's louder than I thought it would be and I only have 800miles so far, so I know it will open up some with more miles. After the warranty is up, I may do stage 1 to get rid of the cats/heat, or maybe add the cool flow fan, IDK.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:53 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

M8 problem, or just a Harley problem, but my 2018 Heritage 114 is an oil burner. First 1000 miles the oil did not seem to go down on the stick at all. But I was riding it like the break in period called for.

Now at 2350 miles I've had to add a full quart. Over the last 1350 miles I have ridden it at interstate speeds abut half the time, around 2550 RPM steady on cruise control (a little over 70 MPH). Oil moves down the stick noticeable at this RPM. At an outside temperature of around 80-85 degrees.

SO I will watch it closely. I don't ride the Interstate often, but when I do, it's for really long multi day trips. I'm doing a 6600 mile trip in May all on Interstate highways.

Quick Reply: M8 problems