Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:26 AM
Oldman - New Iron
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Guess we will see how this thread goes. Hopefully we get some real info if there is a problem from someone with no bias. I can say my dealer has wanted my bike in trade for the last year. Its a Breakout with lots of upgrades. I love my Breakout and told him he would get it out of my cold dead hands. But after test riding a Bagger (Milwaukee eight) I am considering it. I am 100% sure there will be problems, but if there are Harley will stand behind their bikes. And I have a really good dealer to work with.
If i were u I'd wait to, having problems with mine, 8000 miles, started knocking, take it to the dealership, they say we have to order tool to check oil pressure, get a call today, the pistons are slapping, can't get the pistons & sleeves till next week. Who knows what will come up next week. Very frustrating to say the least.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

If I buy a new bike with the M8 motor, it will be the RK.
And I will be buying it used.
Must have a complete in house service record and a warranty.
But I won’t be trading my bullet proof 14 slim

Old 02-02-2018, 08:09 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all the Sumping and Transmission Transferring Problems,,,,would anybody advise me to buy or not to buy a 17 Touring with 20k miles on her?

Old 02-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Jarlaxle
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rare100thHD
With all the Sumping and Transmission Transferring Problems,,,,would anybody advise me to buy or not to buy a 17 Touring with 20k miles on her?
Personally, I would not own a M8 unless it was under warranty, and I'd dump it as soon as the warranty was done.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:16 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't help myself....Brought me home a 17 Milwaukee 8 Road Glide Today.....hopefully no problems will arise

Old 02-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 273 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by rare100thHD
Couldn't help myself....Brought me home a 17 Milwaukee 8 Road Glide Today.....hopefully no problems will arise

I think you will find most M8's are trouble free. While I am not denying there are some issues, forums tend to blow them out of proportion in comparison to the number of bikes sold. Constantly worrying about what might happen will take the joy out of your ride, just ride and enjoy. I was in the "worry" camp but decided to bail out. I traded my '17 for a '18. I have had no issues with either one. This '18 is so quiet and smooth, I don't anticipate any issues, but if I do, that is what the warranty is for. Ride safe

Last edited by Timberwolf2017; 02-04-2018 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Airarbiter (02-08-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:39 PM
MadManMitch
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil pressure sensor went out on mine. I kept smelling oil on group rides and people behind me said my bike was smelling but couldn't find an oil leak, I guess it was seeping at the time. It finally blew out and left a trail of oil for a couple miles before I noticed it. When I stopped it was just dumping oil under the bike.

I had the bike in my dealer for a week before this complaining of check oil pressure showing and they had it a week and couldn't figure anything out. I stopped by after a few days of dropping it off to check on it and the service rep said that is something I would have to drop the bike off for. Yeah my bike had been there four days and they didn't even know it. So on the following Saturday, 8 days later, I stopped by and picked the bike up and nothing had been done nor fixed. I'm not a highly trained Harley tech but first thing I would have done is put an oil pressure gauge on the bike and checked the oil pressure, if that checks out, then we know we got a bad sensor or a glitch somewhere. It's not rocket science people.

They sent a trailer to pick me up though when it did finally break and a week later I stopped by and it was setting outside, finished, no call, no wash.

Some of these dealers need a fire lit under their ***, they are too complacent and lazy.

Last edited by MadManMitch; 02-04-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:13 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManMitch
Oil pressure sensor went out on mine. I kept smelling oil on group rides and people behind me said my bike was smelling but couldn't find an oil leak, I guess it was seeping at the time. It finally blew out and left a trail of oil for a couple miles before I noticed it. When I stopped it was just dumping oil under the bike.

I had the bike in my dealer for a week before this complaining of check oil pressure showing and they had it a week and couldn't figure anything out. I stopped by after a few days of dropping it off to check on it and the service rep said that is something I would have to drop the bike off for. Yeah my bike had been there four days and they didn't even know it. So on the following Saturday, 8 days later, I stopped by and picked the bike up and nothing had been done nor fixed. I'm not a highly trained Harley tech but first thing I would have done is put an oil pressure gauge on the bike and checked the oil pressure, if that checks out, then we know we got a bad sensor or a glitch somewhere. It's not rocket science people.

They sent a trailer to pick me up though when it did finally break and a week later I stopped by and it was setting outside, finished, no call, no wash.

Some of these dealers need a fire lit under their ***, they are too complacent and lazy.
I would never deal or spend a dime with that dealer again. Please feel free to post a name ?

The following users liked this post:
Professor123 (04-25-2019)
Old 02-05-2018, 12:01 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Limp home mode, won't take throttle when tripped

After taking delivery of my 18 Softail Heritage Anniversary 114, I had 25 trouble free miles. Then, all of a sudden while accelerating, it was like I released the throttle to idle (I didn't), the check engine light was on and it was running at a high idle (1500 rpm). Fasted speed I could get to was 25 mph. The bike's been at the dealer a couple of days and the factory tech will be at the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully they find the problem. They've already replaced the throttle body, changed out pin connectors and repaired one broken wire.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

Exact thing happened to me on my 17 SGS. Grabbed some throttle after dropping a gear and nothing. I had 150 miles on it at the time,Coasted off to the side of the road as I thought the bike just quit. It was still running but in limp mode. Same as you, my fix was to reseat the plug down by the air filter. It's a feed back loop to the throttle position so the bike just "got lost" until the plug was pushed in all the way.

Quick Reply: M8 problems