Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
I think that if there really are just two sides in the M8 sub-forum, then they're the people that think the fluid transfer is a design flaw and either does (or will) happen on every hydraulic clutched M8 bike HD has made, or the people that think its a manufacturing or parts defect effecting some of the hydraulic clutch bikes.

Either way the MoCo's response to the issue sucks. But there's really no way to tell from this forum which side of that divide is actually right - there's just not enough data.

The only thing the divide really effects is how one goes about troubleshooting the problem. If all you have in front of you is a bike that transfers fluid from the trans to the primary then it's easy to assume that its a design problem and start looking for things the change (or add) to the design that would eliminate the transfer.

On the other hand, if you have a bike that transfers and another one that doesn't it would be really time consuming and expensive to disassemble them and start measuring things to try and figure out what's different between the two.

Personally I would've hoped that the MoCo would've done that second step by now... but if they have maybe they did discover that it really is a design defect and they've kept their mouths shut until they really know how widespread the problem is. Or maybe they did it and found there are a number of small (and different) manufacturing defects in different bikes. This would explain why some folks have reported fixes (or just changes) to their transfer flow rates.

IMO things would be nicer here if people didn't make assumptions like "They ALL do it because I heard about 15 cases on the forum" or "They're whining just because they got a bad one" or "They probably just aren't measuring right", etc, etc, etc
They're whining just because they got a bad one" or "They probably just aren't measuring right", etc, etc, etc[/QUOTE]You kidding me. You know how much these guys paid for their sumping bikes.I feel so sorry for them. You on the other hand call them whining !!! .Give me a break Gee Wiz 🙄

Old 01-12-2018, 06:07 AM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
They're whining just because they got a bad one" or "They probably just aren't measuring right", etc, etc, etc
You kidding me. You know how much these guys paid for their sumping bikes.I feel so sorry for them. You on the other hand call them whining !!! .Give me a break Gee Wiz ��
[/QUOTE]

Wizard - you might want to take some reading comprehension lessons... and then re-read what I wrote.

I'm complaining about the extremes people on both sides go to around here.

I've read this forum since the beginning. I've seen people call other people "liars" and "stupid" because they think their bikes have fluid that's migrating. I've also seen people say "ALL M8s have fluid migration" and "if it isn't migrating then you're just not riding it enough"

BOTH OF THOSE SIDES ARE WRONG

Old 01-18-2018, 02:10 PM
2016CTRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rattle caused by sheared Head Bolt

2017 RGS Stage 1. Changed oil pump. Changed front rocker arms (rubbing head). Heard rattle this weekend. 16000 miles. Rear Right cylinder head bolt sheared off. No other apparent damage. No indication on why it happened. Has anybody heard of this? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Nuke_Disaster
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016CTRoadGlide
2017 RGS Stage 1. Changed oil pump. Changed front rocker arms (rubbing head). Heard rattle this weekend. 16000 miles. Rear Right cylinder head bolt sheared off. No other apparent damage. No indication on why it happened. Has anybody heard of this? Thanks.
That's weird. Can't really add anything of value, but I did have my oil pump changed out recently... around 5k miles.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke_Disaster
That's weird. Can't really add anything of value, but I did have my oil pump changed out recently... around 5k miles.
I too have had oil pump and lifters replaced at 9000 miles. Oil cooled engine. I believe there have been a good many oil pumps which have failed, otherwise they would not be on their 4th or 5th generation.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:50 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I too have had oil pump and lifters replaced at 9000 miles. Oil cooled engine. I believe there have been a good many oil pumps which have failed, otherwise they would not be on their 4th or 5th generation.
Could you elaborate on your lifter issue, was that after the pump failed or same time?
How were your problems detected? I just want to know what to look for as mine has 8500 miles.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
Could you elaborate on your lifter issue, was that after the pump failed or same time?
How were your problems detected? I just want to know what to look for as mine has 8500 miles.
If the oil pump fails to deliver enough oil to the lifters at start up, you will hear it as a "clatter" or loud clicking on the right side of the engine around the cam chest and push rod tubes. As the oil pump builds up sufficient oil pressure the lifters will usually quiet down. If you have a bad lifter(s) it might quiet down or not depending how bad it is leaking.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
If you ever wondered about the cost of freedom, visit a VA hospital for an hour.
Our "freedom" has not been at risk since WWII...what you see at the VA today is the cost of Empire Building.

The latest "Threat to our Freedom" is well proven to be a fraud...Saudi Arabia organized 911...ISIS is the creation of, and is funded/directed by, the USA and it's allies...the proof is out there, and it's not hard to find.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:30 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Quick update on my 2017 CVO Limited with 8500 miles. Dealer thought that the oil pump needed to be replaced due to oil light staying on after startup. Could have been the sender unit but not arguing with them because I may as well get the new version pump. They also wanted to check the top end do to some issues they have seen with other bikes particularly with the tolerance of the valves I guess. That was fine but what they did say was that they saw some "abnormal" ware mark and changed the cam and the tappets. Hope that is a one-off and this bike won't kill cams every 8500 miles when out of warrantee!!

Old 01-20-2018, 04:48 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
Our "freedom" has not been at risk since WWII...what you see at the VA today is the cost of Empire Building.

The latest "Threat to our Freedom" is well proven to be a fraud...Saudi Arabia organized 911...ISIS is the creation of, and is funded/directed by, the USA and it's allies...the proof is out there, and it's not hard to find.
What??? What are you smoking? What does your post have to do with anything related to the topic at hand?

The following 2 users liked this post by teedoff65:
IdahoHacker (02-05-2018), splattttttt (01-20-2018)

Quick Reply: M8 problems