Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:05 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by paullavery
Visited my dealer today as mine has lost 4 oz of transmission fluid in 90 miles, bikes done 4600 miles now, 600 of those miles is with the stage 3 & I've only just started really opening it up 4 - 4 1/2 K. Up until now no transfer & i have been religiously checking levels, but now its a different storey !! This is their 3rd one now that they know of with this issue, as stated here they said "Harley has not got a clue how to sort this" but they are taking the bike in next week to have a look at it, not sure what they will achieve but I just wanted it documented with them as having this problem. Also having issues with the front brakes now, started pulsing & they said it will be warped rotors & they are not covered under warranty !!
I see in your sig that you had/have a '73 Kawi Z1. I had the same bike and that thing would mortally haul ***! It's incredible that I lived through the 2 years that I kept it and didn't at least lose my license or end up in jail for felony-speed, either.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Visited my dealer today as mine has lost 4 oz of transmission fluid in 90 miles, bikes done 4600 miles now, 600 of those miles is with the stage 3 & I've only just started really opening it up 4 - 4 1/2 K. Up until now no transfer & i have been religiously checking levels, but now its a different storey !! This is their 3rd one now that they know of with this issue, as stated here they said "Harley has not got a clue how to sort this" but they are taking the bike in next week to have a look at it, not sure what they will achieve but I just wanted it documented with them as having this problem. Also having issues with the front brakes now, started pulsing & they said it will be warped rotors & they are not covered under warranty !!
Just hope that the MoCo doesn't say the rotors warped because you used the brakes and if you use them, then it's normal. Make sure you get your paperwork from the dealership and it has listed the amount of fluid loss your seeing. You may need it later.

The following users liked this post:
paullavery (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:57 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I see in your sig that you had/have a '73 Kawi Z1. I had the same bike and that thing would mortally haul ***! It's incredible that I lived through the 2 years that I kept it and didn't at least lose my license or end up in jail for felony-speed, either.
I've still got it & totally agree with what you say, amazing bike for its time.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:02 AM
paullavery
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Just hope that the MoCo doesn't say the rotors warped because you used the brakes and if you use them, then it's normal. Make sure you get your paperwork from the dealership and it has listed the amount of fluid loss your seeing. You may need it later.
Will do, thanks for the heads up. First couple of comments on the brakes from the dealership was that "you must have washed the bike with hot discs" total bullshit imo, never washed any bike I've owned whilst hot.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:35 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

I would check with the MoCo or another dealer about the brake rotors. AFAIK they should be covered IF they are out of spec .... spec was .008" when my 09 UC was warping the front rotors. I had a discussion about warped rotors with another member and researched it to find that the rotors are covered under ESP.
Hope someone figures this oil transfer problem out soon. I ride a 14 FLHTK and I'm in no hurry to trade it in on a M-8 until the glitches are fixed. Good luck.

paullavery (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:27 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Will do, thanks for the heads up. First couple of comments on the brakes from the dealership was that "you must have washed the bike with hot discs" total bullshit imo, never washed any bike I've owned whilst hot.
hey Paul, my front brakes started pulsating bad during my Glacier trip this Summer..took it in when I got back, they were within spec so no warranty replacement, however, they took the rotors off, rotated them so the areas that were not true were aligned, cleaned the calipers, etc. and the pulsating is probably ~90% eliminated and they did this for no charge..remedied enough for me to not feel the need to do anything more at this point..with the 18's they introduced floating rotors for the OEM RK wheels, to the tune of $250 apiece! no thanks, I'll pass..ride it the way it is until 2 year warranty expires and see if they get out of spec so replacements are covered

paullavery (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 AM
paullavery
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
hey Paul, my front brakes started pulsating bad during my Glacier trip this Summer..took it in when I got back, they were within spec so no warranty replacement, however, they took the rotors off, rotated them so the areas that were not true were aligned, cleaned the calipers, etc. and the pulsating is probably ~90% eliminated and they did this for no charge..remedied enough for me to not feel the need to do anything more at this point..with the 18's they introduced floating rotors for the OEM RK wheels, to the tune of $250 apiece! no thanks, I'll pass..ride it the way it is until 2 year warranty expires and see if they get out of spec so replacements are covered
Good idea, I’ll mention that to them next week.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM
Breakout110
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Arlen Ness makes a great large rotor kit

Old 10-31-2017, 11:36 AM
TBennett1962
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a cold weather starting problem? I know it's late Fall but the other morning it was down in the 30's when I was trying to start the bike to go for a ride and it really struggled to start. It turned over fine but it was hitting sluggishly. I thought I was going to run the battery down before it finally hit and fired off.

The next day, I pulled it out into the sunlight and left it there for about 20 minutes and it cranked right up! Is there a sensor or something that I need to preheat before trying to start?

Also, it is a Stage 3 engine with the bigger pistons. I'm sure that makes a difference but not positive.

Last edited by TBennett1962; 10-31-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:29 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Not an expert on batteries. There are certain types that are better then others for sure.
My bettery’s getting close to five years and I let it drain once by leaving the accessory in the on position by accident. And even though I always leave it on a trickle if sitting for more
that a few days. It has never been the same.
Now to your question. Compression relief valve. Harley’s don’t have them. And that is often an issue with starting. Don’t matter if it’s warm or cold outside

Quick Reply: M8 problems