Members Meeting Members Post Pictures and Short Stories of Your Encounters With Other HDF Members

Trips?? Starting in Erie, PA

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trips?? Starting in Erie, PA

Howdy All,

I wrote this 3 different times last night but got booted all three times when I tried to post it. I should of written it in Word and copied and pasted but that would make to much sense,

I am in the planning stages of 3 different trips for next summer. Where I live, near Erie, PA, we have 2 seasons, riding season and non-riding season. Riding season is generally between April and the end of October.

Trip #1

5 days
"Around PA"
Day 1
I figure we leave Erie on Rte 18 and go to Washington, PA then west towards Wheeling, WV on Rte 40, stopping at Cabela's for a few hours of shopping. Hey ladies, you like to shop right? Well, go with your hubby/male friend and carry his stuff cause Cabelas is a Mans store, . Ladies, I was just jokin with ya, you can buy stuff from cabela's too. After some time at Cabela's we go east, back towards Washinton, PA and spend the night.

Day 2
We leave the Washington area and go east to York, PA on Rte 40 and any other decent US Highway I can find, lol (Don't worry I will have a route all figured out by then,,,,,,,maybe, lol). In the afternoon we visit/tour the Harley plant in York. We spend the night in the York area.

Day 3
We travel in a northeasterly (is that a word?) direction, north of Philly, then north along the NJ/PA line and into NY, heading for Montgomery. You guessed it, we are staying in Montgomery area and visiting OCC (Orange County Choppers) on the morning of the 4th day.

Day 4
We visit OCC in the AM then head back to PA where Rte 6 starts (in PA) at its furthest eastern point. Take Rte 6 west to Wellsboro, PA. Have dinner at the Wellsboro Diner (good food, been there several times last summer) and hold up for the night nearby at a nice Mom and Pop Motel (stayed there before) where they serve a nice hot breakfast.

Day 5
After a nice breakfast at the motel we take a short ride over to the PA Grand Canyon. After a few hours we start on Rte 6 west back to Erie.

I do my best to book rooms at Mom and Pop Motels (that don't smell of mildew) and eat at little Diners/Dinors in small towns. Call me old fashioned but I like those sort of places and the food is generally darned good. For this trip I will limit it to 8 bikes. If you have a passenger they will have to room with you. I ride alone. The reason f or the 8 bike limit is the motel I like to book in Wellsboro only has 8 rooms and I book the entire place. I plan on taking this trip mid June of 2007. I will post the actual dates after the new year. I am interested in experienced riders since a lot of the terrain is hilly and windy. I generally go the posted speed limit, not much under or over. I like the curves and hills. We generally stop on the 2nd or third day at a laundrymat to make sure none of us smells like that road kill we just passed. If you are interested send me a PM here or an e-mail at vpdio@yahoo.com
I figure the cost around $125 a day, that includes gas, meals and accomodations. I am not charging anybody for the trip. I am merely GOING and if anybody else wants to go along, thats fine.

I will post the other 2 trip details tomorrow.

Time for me to "Make the Donuts".

Old 11-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser
Default RE: Trips?? Starting in Erie, PA

I was told by one of the Moderators on this forum to post my trips here. Not sure if he was joking or not. Not one reply, not even a F U, lol, nothing. Oh well, maybe people are to busy to reply.

In any case, here is the idea I have for the 2nd trip, in mid July. I figure I would take northern trips in July and August when the weather is warmer (since it is cooler up north) and take southern trips in September when it is cooler (warmer down south). Sounded good anyhow, lol.

Trip #2

5 or 6 days

Haven't got this one planned out yet. Looking at some routing and checking accomodations in various locations while trying to figure around 250 miles a day (average) miles. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

I figure we would leave Erie area on Rte 430 towards Jamestown, NY. The route numbers slip my mind as I type this but last summer we came back from eastern PA, into NY, on Rte 17 and some other Rte to Jamestown. I will look it up and document. Anyhow it was good road and really windy and hilly, passing through a lot of small towns. Thats what I like, the small towns, they are so charming. On with the trip, sorry. I figure we go east all the way through NY, along the PA border and into Conn then turn north through Conn and Mass, staying towards the eastern side of Mass and go north into New Hampshire and into Maine. Travel along the western side of Maine northward and go west back into New Hampshire and then Vermont and into upstate NY. go into the Adirondaks and Lake Placid (where they held the Olympics). Keep going west following along Lake Ontario and back towards Erie.

Once I have some more concrete plans I will post them here.

What I would like to know is: Who is interested in such a trip?

Ole Geezer

Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've travelled all of Rt 6 in PA. You'll love it. If you get over toward State College let me know.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser

Crash,

We traveled most of the state last year. I been traveling on Rte 6 for around 45 years now, remember I am an OLE GEEZER, lol. We do love it though

Last year we stopped in State College, rode around campus some and checked out the girls. Ok so I am a PERV too, sue me, lol. I told the wife, just cause I am on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu.

Rte 322 from Meadville to Harrisburg (passing by State College), now there is a nice ride.

Ole Geezer

Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interested here...

Old 11-17-2006, 04:24 AM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser

toyrider,

I will hold a spot for you and your wife.

Since we live so close to one another anyhow, I figure we will ride together some before the trip anyhow. That is if you don't mind riding with an OLE GEEZER, lol.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:13 PM
TJB50
Tourer

I would be interested in a July trip, as my wife is out of school by then. I just met Toyrider last night at our local dealer and I see he might be interested.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:23 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This I think will make a nice trip...mide June would be a perfect time for me as well.

ORIGINAL: TJB50

I would be interested in a July trip, as my wife is out of school by then. I just met Toyrider last night at our local dealer and I see he might be interested.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:22 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Musta missed the "group ride" part. If you make it over this way at all I'm in.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser

TJB50,

Just so you know, this is being planned for June 2007, not July 2007. Not sure if you made a typo or missread the info. I assume you are in or near Erie, PA? Obviously we would be happy to have you and your wife along. If you and Toyrider go with your wives that makes 6 people, so far. I ride single and so does a buddy of mine.

Crash,

On day 2 of the 5 day ride we will be passing south (heading east) of State College. Most likely we will be taking US Rte 30 (east) from just east of Pittsburgh to York. You are more then welcome to meet us along the way but when we get back to Erie, "our" trip is over and you would have to ride solo back to State College - just giving you a heads-up.

I plan on having all of the people lined up to go by the end of January, 2007. That may seem early but in some areas of the country rooms do book up way early and I don't want to be left hangin. I will NOT be handling any funds from anybody other then myself. All information will be sent to all concerned and it will be your resonsibility to book your rooms (held with your credit card). I will order a "Block" of rooms for us but you will still have to book and hold the room(s) on your card.

This trip "Around PA" has been established for the following dates.
Departing Erie on the morning of the 25th (Monday) of June, 2007
Arriving back to Erie, PA on the 29th (Friday) of June, 2007
The reason to travel during the week versus a weekend is in case of any mechanical problems. This way the repair places are open - during the week. On weekends it is very difficult to locate places to repair a bike.
We can, if needed, use the 30th of June (Saturday) to return to Erie if delayed by a break down or bad weather (hard rain or fog).
This will be a "rain or shine" trip once booked.

More info as it is gathered.

Anybody else wanting to go, please reply here.

Ole Geezer

Quick Reply: Trips?? Starting in Erie, PA