Members Meeting Members Post Pictures and Short Stories of Your Encounters With Other HDF Members
View Poll Results: When should the meetup be held?
Last week of April
7.32%
First week of May
43.90%
Either one - I'll go with the flow
48.78%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Florida / Georgia Meetup POLL

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I started using Google Latitude on Monday. So funny to see this popping up on this thread.

Most times for me, it places me inside the circle of a cell tower, off by a couple of miles. I added Patti and she now can see me out on the road from her desktop computer, almost in real time. She says its funny to watch my little icon bounce from tower to tower.

I have a late model Blackberry Curve that also has its own GPS map tracking software. That package is VERY accurate and acts just like a dedicated vehicle GPS system. (tracks exact location, shows speed, etc).

Please (anyone) send me an email invite and I will accept. I just sent a request to Mr. Wizard from the Blackberry, from inside the Latitude program.

For FREE, this Latitude service is an awesome little setup.

Added:
I was just reading through the Google Latitude Help section and then also linked over to one of their support forums. Apparently, You do need a strong GPS signal coming to your phone for this to override the cell tower triangulation which is notorious for faulty locations as it can rarely pick up the three points necessary. Also, the Google Maps program (loaded in your phone) will seek WiFi data (if your phone is equipped to supply it) and will pass location data via the WiFi that will be MUCH more accurate than cell tower triangulation.

I have no WiFi presense (currently) here in Palm Coast, so my phone is dealing with cell towers.

Last edited by PoorBoy; 04-09-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Update on GPS accuracy....
Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Just got Paul all hooked up on my berry.. I can see him right now at that house of pleasure. What's Ms. P going to say about that??

For the price it's a pretty good item. When we get up there we can exchange or add emails to our friends list. Be sure to add your picture to your icon so we will know it is you. This way we can easily see where we all are at any given moment.

Paul.. hey bud.. it's time to get out of there before they raid the place...

j/k

Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok trying to get some of my co-workers hooked up to this and the location still isnt that great. right now it shows about a mile off of my location. still working on it

Old 04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Man this forum is sounding like a nerdy little Goldwing forum, hehe.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

oh that hurts

Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
2 Beers
Road Master
Default Get Ready To Laugh!

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
My doc sidelined me for a MONTH yesterday, so this trip will be my first time back in the saddle for any length of time probably. Needless to say, I am now looking forward to this trip more than ever!
Hey GG... Saw Carol and Ken the other nite down here in N. Cuba. We can't wait to meet you and the folks up that way, and have some laughs. Hope your injury heals, and it wasn't ribs or something like that that hurts when you laugh it up! Will have Linda (the wifey) with. She's a sweety like Carol, so we'll have to embarrass them as much as possible.

2Beers
and Linda

Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
2 Beers
Road Master
Default Latitude Up

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Has anyone tried Google Latitude? http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html

Free, uses your phone GPS, you can add friends and immediately see where they are on a map anywhere, zoom in, zoom out, get road info, directions to and from.... Can be used on your phone or computer.

Just send a join request to your latitude friend, accept it and boom, view anytime anywhere. When you are done, break the friend connection for privacy. Easy
Added G'Latitude to my phone just now. Requested BDM, and Poorboy to link up, but didn't have your email, Mr. Wizard. PM me?

PS: Does this mean the IRS can find me now?!

2Beers

Last edited by 2 Beers; 04-09-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
2 Beers
Road Master

Took a quick look at the maps. 33498 to Sautee Nacoochee, GA is about the same time/distance going either I-95 or I-75 it seems. Recommends I-75 route.

Boca to Valdosta or Macon, GA on Friday,
-- then to Sautee Nacoochee, GA on Saturday would be nice to have some Saturday to play.

Boca to Gainesville, FL on Friday,
-- then to Sautee Nacoochee, GA on Saturday would be another option.

Boca to Jacksonville, FL on Friday,
-- then to Sautee Nacoochee, GA on Saturday is yet another.

Just how much on the first day? Oddly, only 15mins difference in travel-time going on either side of the state.

Too many choices! Yipee!

2Beers

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Beers
Hey GG... Saw Carol and Ken the other nite down here in N. Cuba. We can't wait to meet you and the folks up that way, and have some laughs. Hope your injury heals, and it wasn't ribs or something like that that hurts when you laugh it up! Will have Linda (the wifey) with. She's a sweety like Carol, so we'll have to embarrass them as much as possible.

2Beers
and Linda
LOL and Thanks 2Beers. Looking forward to meeting you and Linda loads of laughter by then should be no problem.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:36 PM
sofadog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good route to take up to Maggie Vally. It gets you off the super slap just north of Macon and takes you on all good roads all the way in. I have it starting in Gainesville just as a reference point.
Keeps you from having to brave the Atlanta traffic.
I will be leaving Gainesville at first light Saturday. Hope to hook up with several others on the way up.

Anyone else be in the area about that time?
2 Beers, you still planning on heading up the E. coast?
See you guys in a few more weeks.
And no, I can't Twitter on my cell phone.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Gain...:::::f:EN:M:/e

Last edited by sofadog; 04-10-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Florida / Georgia Meetup POLL