Members Meeting Members Post Pictures and Short Stories of Your Encounters With Other HDF Members

Florida Rally - Ocala 2008

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 AM
flslowryder
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to argue with my boss to be able to ride to work.. Didn't think it was professional... I argued it's a mode of transportation.. As long as I can get everything I need to the office it shouldn't matter how I get there... Was able to ride it on my half days... After gas went up, it became a non issue, just said I'm riding...

Of course if I showed up decked out in leathers it may be a different matter...

Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Your boss is your boss at work, has no say in off hours, as long as you show up it should not matter how you get there.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:35 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Your boss is your boss at work, has no say in off hours, as long as you show up it should not matter how you get there.
Don't disagree with you but, the boss can often get away his position by claiming that your perceived public image/actions presents a negative reflection on the company. Especially if customers or clients can see you coming and going.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Guess you are right on that Charley, I am glad I am the boss, I wonder if I can say no cages just HD's in the garage hehehe.

Originally Posted by cHarley
Don't disagree with you but, the boss can often get away his position by claiming that your perceived public image/actions presents a negative reflection on the company. Especially if customers or clients can see you coming and going.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Guess you are right on that Charley, I am glad I am the boss, I wonder if I can say no cages just HD's in the garage hehehe.
Well, you could start by reserving the up front parking spaces in the garage for "Motorcycles Only".

BTW, when are you going to come get this Sundowner out of my way?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM
2 Beers
Road Master
Default Where's Freedom Gone?

It's hard to watch freedom slowly slip away due to perception's rise. I ride to work everyday ... it's my transportation vehicle. I'm in Marketing now (due to restructuring, downsizing, surviving Corp America), and have more perception forced on me than I can stand. Some days, I ride in wearing a suit. The real people respect that I do it, and the fake people don't. Management was afraid to approach me about it, and after a while it became accepted. There are 7 bike showing each day now. The gas situation did help.

Originally Posted by flslowryder
I had to argue with my boss to be able to ride to work.. Didn't think it was professional...
It was due to a layoff threat, that I missed the Ocala Rally. We know heads are falling soon, but not who. Don't know if riding to work makes me more of a candidate or not, but don't think so at this point. I'm glad you all had a blast! And, sorry that I missed it. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like there will be more, so excited about that! Ride Free.

2Beers

Old 11-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member

I am just disgusted that a supervisor could decide WHAT you do to get to work. Unless you are using your vehicle to transport your clients around town, He has no right to tell you how to get there.
Whats next? Uhm I drive a GM, am I allowed to work here? Bull$h!t!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:26 AM
flslowryder
Road Captain

I told several of my clients when I learned to ride... Everyone thought it was great... That was what I didn't understand... I wonder what they would have thought if I rode the bus.. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think that would be considered less professional than a bike...

Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

Well i am on the lucky side. I have a company work truck parked at a church due to my deed restrictions so i get to ride my bike to the church every day. I think what you do on "your" time you can do what you want

Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flslowryder
I had to argue with my boss to be able to ride to work.. Didn't think it was professional... I argued it's a mode of transportation.. As long as I can get everything I need to the office it shouldn't matter how I get there... Was able to ride it on my half days... After gas went up, it became a non issue, just said I'm riding...

Of course if I showed up decked out in leathers it may be a different matter...

You can blame people who don't understand motorcycles. They think that every Harley has some outlaw riding it. Not everyone who rides a motorcycle is an outlaw. I personally know some outlaw types and they are usually pretty nice people. Anyways, people stereo type others in one large group. Bikers are no different. If people would take their heads out of their lower cavity, then they would see that just because you ride a bike doesn't mean you are not professional. I ride a bike and consider myself professional. I know that I couldn't ride my bike to work because of the nature of my job, but if I worked in the office all the time, then I would.

Matter of fact, I ride a motorycle, I love leather. I ride when I'm not working. I dress how I want to dress. I don't care what it looks like to other people. If they don't like it then they can get up on a nice tall stool and kiss my ever living white azzzzzzz..... I'm done.

Murph

Quick Reply: Florida Rally - Ocala 2008