Members Meeting Members Post Pictures and Short Stories of Your Encounters With Other HDF Members

Florida Rally - Ocala 2008

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IBA Ride Report

Here is my ride report that I am going to post on the IBA forum. For those that are interested in learning more about the Ironbutt rides or just getting some tips on riding longer distances, checkout http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/default.asp

During the first weekend in December 2007, some Florida folks from another forum, HDForums.com, decided to have a meet-n-great in Ocala, FL. My friend Mark and I rode down from Atlanta and had great weekend and met some great new friends. It worked out so well in fact, that they decided to do it again this year.

The dates would be November 7-9 and there was no way that I was going to miss it. While mapping out the route to Ocala (not too hard since it is straight down I75), I started thinking about doing another Ironbutt ride. I really enjoyed the first one that I did in July of this year. Since I have small kids at home (3 and 5), my time on the bike is pretty limited. Combining a Saddlesore 1000 with a rare occasion to get out of the house for a full weekend is my best option for completing an Ironbutt.

So I started planning the route. Originally I had planned on riding to Ocala, then Daytona, then Miami, then Naples, and back to Ocala. I changed that up so the final route was Atlanta to Jacksonville (75s to 10e), south on 95 to Miami, west on the Tamiami Trail (US 41), and 75N to Ocala.

I began the ride at 3:50am on 11/7. I was cold, mid 30s I think, when I left the gas station. I have a great jacket that really kept me warm (Fox Creek leather), a balaclava from REI, and ok gloves that I got from Leatherup.com ($17 and worked well). Then there are my chaps (also from Leatherup.com). Since I ride a Harley (2003 Softail Standard) and am not really the brightest star in the sky, I can’t be bothered to wear anything so un-cool as over-pants or thermals. Because of this, lets call it “stupidity”, my legs were shaking so bad that I had to stop after a half tank of gas and warm up. No big deal really, but it made think that if I was going to do any longer rides, I would have to forgo my coolness for practicality.

The ride was really uneventful most of the way. It was pretty foggy as I rolled into Florida just after sunrise. As the fog started to burn off, I saw something very strange. I looked up and there appeared to be clouds just above the billboards. I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me, but then I notice a low flying airplane that was above these clouds. It was a weird effect, but still cool to see.

There were really only two “flaws” to the planned route. The first was Miami. Not the city itself or even I95 south through it. It was where I95 south ends and becomes US1. I am certain that US1 has more traffic lights than the entire city of Atlanta. And none of them are timed right. And the entire population of South Florida is on it at 4pm everyday. I realized that I didn’t actually have directions to US41 and had to stop to get directions. Fortunately, I wasn’t far off and with the aide of hand signals and broken English, I was pointed in the right direction. Next comes flaw number two.

Flaw number two starts out very similar to flaw number one. The Tamiami Trail is SW 8th Street in Miami. There about 10% fewer traffics lights and vehicles on this road as there on US1. US41 is a two lane highway that crosses the state through the Everglades. When I finally got to US41 heading west, the sun was setting. My first thought was, “Cool, sunset in the Everglades”. My second thought was, “Oh CRAP! The sun is setting and I’m in the Everglades!” See, I’m originally from Iowa. I don’t DO swamps. My fear was strengthened when I passed a six or eight foot alligator dead on the side of the road. It was time to move. Then I noticed a sign that read, “Panther Crossing”. Panthers! WTF! Then I saw one of the craziest things ever: camp grounds in the swamp. Now I don’t know about you all, but I have a rule, “never camp where there are things that can eat you.” You might want to write that down. Fortunately traffic was pretty light and made good time.

I stopped for gas at a BP on the Trail and that was when I saw flaw number two (version 2). My windscreen was black with bug carcasses. In fact, my headlight, turn signals, and levers were also black. I don’t think I opened my mouth again until after I had passed Naples.

I arrived in Ocala at 10:55pm and was greeted with a nice swig of bourbon. Spent the next day riding and telling stories with my friends. I headed home Sunday morning. All in all a successful trip.

Chris
IBA# 34518

Last edited by WillyHD; 11-10-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Our photos are posted to the photobucket album Brenda started:

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/HDforumFl/

Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics, too! Except I look a few shots to the wind in damn near all the ones I'm in~ Oh yeah... I was!

Keep 'em comin' folks...

Old 11-10-2008, 02:55 PM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good ride report, WHD! Send a pic of your IB Plaque along with it...

Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM
WillyHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlueDragon
Good ride report, WHD! Send a pic of your IB Plaque along with it...
Won't have that for about 6 months. It'll take 10 to 12 weeks at least just to get the ride certified. I wonder if I should plan another one for the Spring Rally? Hmmm.....

C

Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Drclev3
Road Master

Looks like I missed a great time. thanks for posting Pics. I almost feel like I was there!!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlueDragon
Great pics, too! Except I look a few shots to the wind in damn near all the ones I'm in~ Oh yeah... I was!

Keep 'em comin' folks...
hey weres the pretty little hotel girl?? i want to photoshop her onto my bike

Old 11-10-2008, 04:42 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Great write up Chris. Sounds like you had an adventure you will remember your all life.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Sport King
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Being my first time to the rally . It was a pleasure to have met so many nice people . Special thanks to those who contributed to the event . Especially the Oysters and Steak !
I thought I was still dreaming when there was a knock on my door , awarding me a plaque for the Best Bagger . Thanks again gang . I'll look forward to the next event .

Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That really is a good write up Chris. Glad the worse thing you ran into were the bugs.

Quick Reply: Florida Rally - Ocala 2008