Members Meeting Members Post Pictures and Short Stories of Your Encounters With Other HDF Members

Who's Going to Alabama HOG Rally?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's Going to Alabama HOG Rally?

The event is being held in Mobile on May 8-10. Just got my registration confirmation in the mail today.

I have never been to a bike rally before, and this one sounds pretty tame. I live in Mobile County, so I thought it was just too close to pass up.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:12 PM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser
Default RE: Who's Going to Alabama HOG Rally?

I'll be in Alabama in a couple of months. Unfortunately, I won't be there in time for the ralley. I'm going to Ft. Benning, GA for six weeks, and then I'll come back to TX, pick up my stuff, and move to Ft. Rucker, AL. If there is anything going on after that, I'd like to try to make it.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser

TXFXSTB --- good luck with all your "coming and going". I will post a report later this week on the rally. So far, you are the only one who has replied, so it will be interesting to see how this event goes.

I have not been through the Ft. Rucker area in over 20 years. As I recall, Ft. Rucker was a critical helicopter training and support location for the Army. Is that still true?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:56 AM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser

still going strong. I'm going for flight school. I get there in early july and have orders through next March. I'm looking forward to getting involved with the biker community out there.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser

Take care of yourself. I truly respect our young folks who are serving in the Armed Forces. I want you to put a lot of miles on that Softtail. You should find some good folks in that part of Alabama--- my wife is from Andalusia, just a short distance to the west of the Enterprise/Fort Rucker area.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
rlyons
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe we will ride over to Mobile, it's only about 100 miles for us. Still recovering from Thunder Beach today.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser

Just returned from registering for the Alabama HOG Rally in downtown Mobile. Will be taking one of the breakfast rides tomorrow morning.

It's still early --- registration began at noon, but there was a decent number of folks already showing up. Not much going on today other than a party this evening at the local HD dealership --- probably won't bother to attend that.

Had a somewhat interesting encounter on my way out of the hotel lobby where the rally registration was occuring. A nice looking woman, about my age (50's), wearingbusiness attire was entering the lobby. Being the quintessential Southern gentleman that I am, I held the door for her and her companion. She asked about all the bikes, and I immediately thought to myself "here it comes ---someone getting alarmed about all us Southern hoodlumsfrequenting this nice downtown hotel". Anyway,I told her that the state HD rally (did not say "HOG", since I did not know if she would know what that meant) was being held in the Mobile area. To my surprise, she told me she was from Wisconsin and rode her own Harley --- even asked if I was coming up for the 105th anniversary bash. After a few seconds pause while I retrieved my jaw from the floor, I told her that I could not make it to HD anniversary --- just could not take that much time off from work at that time of the year.

Anyway, I guess I quietly "ate some crow" on this encounter. I thought she was going to pre-judge me; instead, I was guilty of pre-judging her.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
fire228
Road Captain

I will be over there on Saturday

Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser
Default RE: Who's Going to Alabama HOG Rally? May 9 Update

Attended the breakfast ride from the downtown hotel to Stockton, AL. Except for the short, harrowing start across the I-10 tunnel/bridge, the route was mostly pleasant backroads Had about 40 bikes in our group --- all Harleys except for one Buell.

Made a short stop at Fort Mims --- a Baldwin County park at the site whereover 500settlers werekilled by Creek Indians in 1813. Then, back to Eastern Shore HD in Daphne, AL.

One of the rally volunteers told me that between 600-700 people pre-registered for the entire rally. They expect more "ride ins" today and tomorrow.

I plan to take the breakfast ride fromMobile BayHD to Mississippi tomorrow.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:31 PM
fire228
Road Captain
Default RE: Who's Going to Alabama HOG Rally? May 9 Update

Sounds fun.

I will be over there tomorrow for the Hog Wars at the E.S Dealership, always a good time

Quick Reply: Who's Going to Alabama HOG Rally?