Members Meeting Members Post Pictures and Short Stories of Your Encounters With Other HDF Members

Delray Beach FL Motorcycle Ban

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Delray Beach FL Motorcycle Ban

You don't need to lecture me, I started this thread. I understand where you are coming from, but they can't require EPA stickers on bikes manufactured prior to when EPA regulationsrequired them. My point is, this is another loophole that can be used as an argument against thier proposed legislation. Enforcing noise legislation is one thing, requiring stickers on bikes built before the ERA reg.s existed or the banning of bikes altogether is not constitutional.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ok guys I think we're all still on the same page, hopefully?
none of us want this bull leading up to a possible excuse to levy $200+ tickets or maybe worse. [:@]
lets stick together on this one people.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 PM
King_Sean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there at Delray Beach City Hall Nov 6 - 6Pm to show support in numbers

Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: King_Sean

I'll be there at Delray Beach City Hall Nov 6 - 6Pm to show support in numbers
I'll see you there...... but as I understand it, the vote on this was postponed for 90 days based on last months meeting.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:27 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Does anyone know if the Media plans to continue to cover this?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
King_Sean
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Does anyone know if the Media plans to continue to cover this?
News 25 covered the first Commissioners meeting...I'm sure they will be there again (WPBF - NBC)

Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Merlinii

The Date for this meeting is November 6th at Delray Beach City Hall located at 100 N.W. 1st Ave. Delray Beach. The regular meeting starts at 6:00 PM Public Hearings begin at 7:00 PM. in the Commission Chambers.

Please pass this along to everyone you know that rides. We need to make a very strong showing in numbers.

The council will be voting on the passing of this ordinance.
I'm w/charley on being confused. I thought we had a 90 day study to wait out until any further actions?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Stand by Reb, we have a call in to Delray to verify the agenda for the Tues. meeting. I expect an official copy of the agenda sometime after 4 PM today.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
King_Sean
Cruiser

There is a 90-day survey being performed, but this Tuesday at 6 begins the next Commission meeting, and although I don't know the agenda, I believe the floor will be open to the general public. Here is what I know/heard and read from BAM:

Apparently the city council and mayor don't know the demographics of motorcycle riders. It might be of use to let them know what you do or did for a living when speaking before them.
The proposed ordinance also has issues as not only regulates what is or is not a legal vehicle on the road, a state preemption violation, it also violations state and federal preemption by determining what is or is not proper vehicle equipment.

This is the statute that addresses the proposed Ban: Take a look a do your research

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

View Entire Chapter

316.007 Provisions uniform throughout state.--The provisions of this chapter shall be applicable and uniform throughout this state and in all political subdivisions and municipalities therein, and no local authority shall enact or enforce any ordinance on a matter covered by this chapter unless expressly authorized. However, this section shall not prevent any local authority from enacting an ordinance when such enactment is necessary to vest jurisdiction of violation of this chapter in the local court. [emphasis added]

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 2, ch. 71-982.

Above is the Florida Statute indicating the requirement for uniformity of the laws and prohibiting local governments from enacting ordinances in contradiction to statute. I have added the emphasis. Be aware that Florida Statute 316.008 Powers of local authorities.-- subsection (1)(g) states ?restricting the use of streets? with respect to the control of traffic. Traffic control however does not equate with vehicle control. They can restrict the use of the street to all commercial deliveries but not to the passage of passenger vehicles unless all are prohibited equally.
[/align]

Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 PM
cHarley
Club Member

As of this post, we still don't have an offical agenda from Delray Beach for Tuesdays meeting. Thanks to 06FXDBI for staying on top of this. Hopefully we will get the info. tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Delray Beach FL Motorcycle Ban